Start by marking “When Lulu Went to the Zoo” as Want to Read:
When Lulu Went to the Zoo

When Lulu Went to the Zoo

"When Lulu went to the zoo
she was sad for the giraffes
and the penguins too."

Lulu decides to release all the animals from their cages and takes them back to her house to live. However that turns out to be not quite such a good plan after all...

Children will love this rollicking, read-aloud text matched by hilarious illustrations.
Published May 1st 2008 by Andersen

To ask other readers questions about When Lulu Went to the Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Lulu Went to the Zoo

Jul 04, 2010 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, 2010
So cute! It has a good message too!
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars
Oh How I really wanted to like this book. The pictures are cute, but the story has an agenda and I hate that in a children's book.

The agenda you may ask? Is that zoos are bad. That animals in zoos are treated cruelly, that they want to be free in the wild.

In some cases that is true, but a lot of zoo animals are rescues and can't live in the wild, or are injured and are rehabilitated or orphans and their mother won't take care of them... Yes, there are some abuses at zoos but they aren't all bad.
Parents who dislike the free pass that zoos are consistently given in children's lit will want to take a gander at this one. Lulu visits her local zoo, which is of the old Victorian style with iron bars and cell-like cages.

Lulu decides to bring all of the animals home with her--with predictable and chaotic results! Lulu gets together
Jan 30, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it
Love this book. I borrowed it from the library but will be going out to buy a copy to have. I am a daycare provider and will be reading this to the daycare kids regularly.
I was/am Lulu. Never liked to see animals in cages. I love books for children that have a real message.
Jun 15, 2016 JulieLaLa rated it liked it
I would have given it a higher rating if it had ended with two plus two-year old Lulu convincing the zookeepers to release the sad, cooped-up animals (even if that would be implausible). The images were very sweet, though, and the writing was also very good.
Danica Midlil
Jun 23, 2015 Danica Midlil rated it did not like it
UGH. Zoos are not evil places.
Apr 30, 2010 Dawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Here's how this book starts out: "When Lulu went to the zoo, she was sad for the giraffes and the penguins too. The tigers were crying really big tears and the life had gone out of the llamas' ears." Wow, what a downer! I didn't want to read this at storytime out of fear that the kids would start crying.

Mar 29, 2012 Prune+nurture rated it really liked it
We have a short discussion and sharing in between. She said she wants to wear purple like Lulu. She keeps saying that she wants to go to Lulu's house to see all the animals. She even asks me and her dad to wear our shoes to go to Lulu's house. A fun book with lovely illustration to read to children! :)
Oct 08, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
The grownup in me, the practical NO-way-is-this-gonna-work!, where are this kid's parents?!, side kept getting in the way the whole time I was reading this to Madam. *sigh*

She liked it, but I STRUGGLED.
Jul 02, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations and a cute story. I liked how a book says how zoos aren't the best idea.
read while parked in Petone - when on annual leave
Tina Bartholoma
zoo animals, unlikely pets, how zoos have changed
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Elias added it
Sep 20, 2016
Elise Larsen
Elise Larsen marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Ketut marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Katie added it
May 31, 2016
Jessica Potter
Jessica Potter marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Karen added it
Apr 15, 2016
Stephen Morris
Stephen Morris marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Violet B
Violet B rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016