Me and the Measure of Things

Me and the Measure of Things

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The energetic narrator of Me Counting Time and Me on the Map is back, this time introducing young readers to the units of measure. What’s the difference between a cup and an ounce? What gets measured in bushels and when do you use a scale? Easy-to-understand text and playful corresponding illustrations teach children the differences between wet and dry measurements, weight...more
Published September 10th 2002 by Dragonfly Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Me and the Measure of Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and the Measure of Things

Jeffrey
1. Genre: Concept
2. Summary: This book helps the reader understand the concept of measurement by tying together illustrations of real world things and how they are measured in real life situations. A little girl explains how from birth to her age now her life has been filled with measurements.
A. Area of Comment: Text
The author’s writing is prosaic in style but it works well with the illustrations and the concept being covered.
B. The text and the illustration go hand in hand in order to explain...more
Janice Redding
I like this book because it discusses things that you can measure and weigh. Some examples that were provided in the book were gummy bears, to see how much it weighs, as well as the distance between houses. Even though weight and measurement are two important concepts, the books says that weights and measures tells how much, how many, how heavy, how tall, and how far. I can use this book in the classroom to have the student’s measure things such as their desks, the door, etc. In addition, I can...more
Yadira
This book gives examples of everyday items that we weigh and measure. It also shows different units of measurement and how they can be interchanged. "I drink eight ounces of juices every morning. That's the same as one cup." This book can be read and then as a lesson the tacher can bring different things the students can measure and weigh. This would provide a more hands-on way of learning.
Sarah Kasper
I LOVE THIS BOOK! "Me and the Measure of Things" is an awesome book for every type of lesson imaginable that has to do with measurement. This book will be a great tool when introducing measurement to students in 1st or 2nd grade. Try some hands on activities like measure how tall each other is, or how big your students feet are!
Ashley
The book uses everday items to put into perspective without just using a ruler. Ex. a postage stamp =1 inch. The book show equivelencied as well and has a directory in the back with measurement equivelency and throughout the book it mentions the weights and measures. The pictures really help in getting the ideas across.
Tiffany
Another great book to introduce measurement. Easy to understand from a child's perpective, the book also makes great connections to every life. This book could also be use in a science lesson, since it compares the weight of wet and dry things. So when teaching students about weight, and measurement this is a go to book.
Brittany
The book about different types of measurement. This helps children grasp the concept that an teaspoon is different then a cup. This book is a great book to integrate math and literacy in the classroom. The visuals are wonderful and engaging. Its great to use as a read aloud or in your classroom library.
Evelyn
Me and the Measure of Things is a great book that teaches students about measurement. It can be used for students in 1-2 grade. It teaches students about how to distinguish between cups and teaspoons. It also shows students when it is appropriate to use a scale and a ruler.
Shira Burns
This book could be used to integrate literature into a math lesson. Throughout this book the character discusses the many ways in which people measure different things. Tools such as rulers and scales are discussed to inform children of how we measurement is taken.
Alexis Levine
Me and the Measure of THings would be great for children in grades k-2. I would use this book during a measurement unit to do a lesson on teaspoons and cups. This book is a great book to integrate math and literacy in the classroom.
Tiffany Young
This book is all about measurement. It gives examples of everyday items that we can weigh and measure as well as measuring units and equivalencies. This book could be used with a lesson on measurement.
Kristina
This book is great for and end of unit lesson on measuring. It sums all sorts if measurements and can help kids understand that measuring does not just happen with a ruler.
Tania
Nov 20, 2010 Tania added it
Great book to use to introduce measuring. It is very kid friendly and has a lot of amazing pictures in it. I use this to teach a science lesson about measuring.
Ayana Mishelle
We used this book on math night on our measuring game. This is a great book to intoduce measuring to any age group. Makes measurement fun and comprehensive
Amanda Stacy
This is an awesome book! I used it to introduce my first graders to the concepts of measurements. I believe you could use it up to fourth grade as a review.
Hannah Sheffield
This book would be great to read to young children who are learning about measurement. I think it would be a great way to get them interested.
Brittany Brewer
This is an awesome book for many types of measurement lessons. Educators can use this book to introduce measurement to young children.
Katie Pszczola
Great book to use when teaching standard and non standard measurement! This story is all about measuring!
Jade Saleem
Oct 29, 2010 Jade Saleem added it
Shelves: math
This is a math book measurement, specifically for first through third grade.
Mina Saeed
Teaches about different measurement tools:)
Jamie
Jamie added it
Aug 17, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Me on the Map Me and My Amazing Body Bijou, Bonbon and Beau: The Kittens Who Danced for Degas Me and My Place in Space Me and My Family Tree