Start by marking “El arma rota” as Want to Read:
El arma rota

El arma rota

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,201 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Hace noventa años, los hermanos Toomey, en compañía de otros 25 hombres y cuatro mil cabezas de ganado, se esfumaron camino a Arizona. Cuando es escritor e historiador Dan Sheridan es invitado al rancho de los hermanos desaparecidos por su actual dueño, no deja escapar la oportunidad. La visita concuerda de maravilla con su plan de aclarar ese misterio de cien años de anti...more
Published November 25th 2008 by Bantam (first published January 1966)

To ask other readers questions about El arma rota, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El arma rota

Natalie
Oh Louis L'amour...I used to always make fun of people that read Louis L'amour, but now I very proudly admit that I belong to that club. They are just fun, pure and simple fun. The writing is quick and the stories perfectly western. I suppose it's not that surprising that I like Louis L'amour, growing up with John Wayne had me primed and ready to fall in love with western reading.

This book was a little different then the others I've read. I it was set in "present times" which, for L'amour, was...more
Claire
I tried to like this book, but I just didn't. I don't know if it's a personal issue - I'm not particularly a fan of Westerns so I am not well read in the genre. Or honestly it could just be a weak book. I'm leaning more towards the latter.

Broken Gun tells the story of writer/historian/Korean War veteran Dan Sheridan, who buys an old broken gun in a pawn shop and finds part of a ninety year old journal wrapped up and stuck inside the barrel. Curiosity piqued, Sheridan decides to investigate the j...more
Steve
This is a bit different from the usual Louis L'Amour, as it's a contemporary Western. Dan Sheridan is a writer and historian of the Old West. While visiting Arizona to research a possible new book he finds that a man who had wanted to meet with has been killed. Shortly thereafter he is invited by a local rancher to visit his home, which happens to be the last known whereabouts of the Toomey Bros., whose mysterious disappearance some ninety years before Sheridan was looking into. All too soon, th...more
Dan Sheridan could have been a cattleman or a ranch owner. Instead, he became a soldier, blasted his way through Vietnam, and returned home a writer and historian. A popular novelist, he is always looking for a fresh plot. When he stumbles across several pages from a ninety-year-old diary, he discovers just the plot he needs.

The Toomey brothers, who traveled west nearly a hundred years before, vanished as they passed through Arizona. It is a scrap from John Toomey’s journal – written before his...more
Rick Bavera
I am not a fan of westerns--movies or books--in part because of the stereotypes that tend to be found in them, in part because the stories seem to be told to a formula. And "formula" shouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, I guess....I read a lot of "popular" fiction, which is often "formula" too.

I will also admit that I have read only a few westerns over the years....because I am not crazy about the genre in general, in addition to the reasons stated above.

Saying that, I actually whizzed through...more
An Odd1
"The Broken Gun" by Louis L'Amour holds journal pages from John Toomey, whose brother Clyde, the best of 27 men, and 4K cattle vanished from 1870s Arizona. Ninety years later, the narrator, writer Dan Sheridan, is invited to the ranch of good-looking hard-hearted Colin and Doris Wells, whose hand Reese just killed Manuel Alvarez, before he could pass on vital information to Dan. Ignorant that Dan as an elite soldier repeatedly escaped with victim's brother Pio, the conspirators plot more deaths,...more
David Williams
Dan Sheridan buys an old broken gun in a pawn shop and finds part of a ninety year old journal wrapped up and stuck inside the barrel. He is a writer and decides to look into the story of the Toomey brothers. The only trouble is that the people who own the land now have a secret, and it is a secret that they are prepared to kill for. Soon Dan finds himself on the run, hunted through what once once Apache country. Only his pursuers don't realize that he is no city boy. He was born and raised on a...more
Larry Hostetler
Not sure whether to give this 2.5, 3, 3.5 or 4 stars. On the plus side, it is a unique Louis L'Amour western in that it is set in the 1950s with historical plot lines in the old west. As with all his books, the geographic setting (this one in the Yavapai County area near Prescott and in the Verde river valley) is well-researched and a dramatic background for the story. But unlike most of his writing, I felt the expression of a sense of danger from the protagonist was overstated, repetitive and d...more
Bruce Nordstrom
This book is a little different from other L'Amour westerns I've read. It is set in the twentith century, rather than the earlier west as is his usual habit. However, as is his habit, L'Amour writes with plenty of excitment, plot twists, and just plain guts. I read this one in one sitting, and will be reading it again.
Rosalind
This is one of my favorite Louis L'Amour novels. I love the way he plants surprises for his characters and readers. I love how the men underestimate Sheridan and find him to be more of an opponent than they first suspect he is. Great read!
Scott
I forgot how enjoyable reading a Louis L'Amour book is. He is a great storyteller.
Villager
Interesting twist to have the western set in "modern" days (at least current through the year the book was written by the author). It gives Louis L'Amour a chance to plot a story about a western mystery being solved 90 years after the fact. There are 'Black hat' cowboys, beautiful women and of course there is a boxing scene -- L'Amour loves to intertwine boxing into each of his westerns.

This was a decent story and worth it for L'Amour fans or those with a little time on their hands.
Adam Shields
Short review: I grew up on westerns. I have read scores of them, scores of them just by L'Amour. It has been a long time since I read a western so this is a nostalgia book. It is fine, the hero wins, the guy gets the girl, the bad guys are either dead or in jail. All is right with the world again. I won't be returning to this genre soon. But it fed the desire for wholeness and for hero stories that I had as a teen.

My full review is on my blog at at http://bookwi.se/lamour
Greg
Unlike most of Louis L'Amour's novels, The Broken Gun is set in more modern times, though still on a ranch in the west. With the same sense of a good fireside tale, LL invites the reader into the experiences of a journalist caught unexpectedly in the midst of murder and theft. An old broken sixgun he finds provides some clues that first lead him deeper into danger, then to resolution. Not my favorite of LL's novels, but not bad. Of course, I have enjoyed most of his books!
Benedict
I enjoyed Zane Grey so I wanted to read some Louis L'Amour.

I was disappointed with the emotional dryness of the book and the though the writer's skill was obvious, the book felt mechanical.

If you want good cowboy stuff I would recommend Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey. I should say that these great early writers of this genre were quite good and worthy of attention
Raymond Fleer
This book was good. There was a writer who was doing some research on the Toomey Brothers. He got invited out to the ranch of the Toomey Brothers. He got out there and there was trouble from the get go. They wanted to kill him because they did not want to lose their ranch. They tried everything to get rid of him and the girl of the other ranch to have more land.
Blair
A "modern" western, it tells the tale of a retired cowpoke/Korean War veteran-turned author doing some research on a will found rolled up in the barrel of a "broken gun". He shows up at a ranch to investigate the back story and the scenery and quickly finds himself fighting for his life to survive a cover-up that had been ongoing for more than 70-years.
Peggy
This book was right on the level of Bendigo Shafter, a great western novel involving a writer who comes to Arizona to follow up on a note he found in a broken gun. His life is in danger as he tries to solve the mystery left behind. The suspense is sustained through the story, and I think this is one of L'Amour's better books.
This was set contemporarily for L'Amour (in the 50's) and I like the change of setting. In "Broken Gun", L'Amour show that the frontiersmen aren't a dead bread; a lot like the thinking behind "Last of the Breed". The protagonist is a western writer who, like L'Amour, is no desk jockey. It was fun.
Heather
Lee begged me to read one of his Louis L'amour books. I reluctantly decided to try one. I read it in about 3 days. Just a good ole gun slinging hiding out in the mountains from the bad guys story...lol. He really has a way with words though. I guess there is a reason so many are die hard fans. :o)
Art
One might always think of Louis L'Amour as just a cowboy/western writer. He shows that he is much more in the Broken Gun. My interest is is that area that He wrote about still desulit or has mordern society moved in.
Old stories still circulate and drive people to do crazy things.
Andy
A lot of older guys who come to the library still ask for the Louis L'Amour novels, so I thought I'd read one. The characters are pretty wooden, the dialogue stilted, but you can't deny the man's storytelling ability. I'm glad I read one of his novels, but I don't think I'd read another.
Matthew Hurley
L'Amour departs from his usual in this contemporary western thriller. Dan Sheridan, a historical western writer, gets caught in one of his own stories when he discovers a century-old murder mystery is still unfolding, and his research makes him the next target.
Jason Caldwell
This Louis L'amour novel takes place in modern times down in AZ I believe. The storyline is exciting but the way it reads you don't feel any connection with any of the characters so I only give it 3 stars. He definitely has better novels out there.
Sheridan
Louis L'Amour... I had an art teacher in Jr. High that used to read us Louis L'Amour books while we were working on our projects. Good times. And the book? Good, clean, shoot-'em-up fun. Nothing emotionally deep, just a good story.
Rae
Dan Sheridan, modern-day Western writer, risks his life to solve a ninety-year-old mystery in which some cattlemen are murdered, their 4,000 head of cattle stolen, and their huge claim of land jumped. A quite improbable plot.
Craig
A current historian solves a mystery from the old west involving the disappearance of two brothers who brought a herd of cattle to Arizona. For me, it was not up to par with L'Amour's other works.
Susan
I enjoy all Louis L'amour books. He takes a good Western story and makes it not just a good Western story. This is set in current times but still the action of the West.
Kirt
A very fast read and a regular old Louis L'Amour book. He is a great story teller, it is easy to get into his books, and they are clean entertainment.
Fredrick Danysh
A broken gun is found by a war veteran and writer. Inside is a note. When he investigates the letter, two ranchers try to kill him. Its all about land.
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • The Shootist
  • Washington! (Wagons West, #9)
  • The Searchers
  • Hombre
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • Sagebrush
  • Josey Wales: Two Westerns
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods