Start by marking “El arma rota” as Want to Read:
El arma rota

El arma rota

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,619 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Hace noventa años, los hermanos Toomey, en compañía de otros 25 hombres y cuatro mil cabezas de ganado, se esfumaron camino a Arizona. Cuando es escritor e historiador Dan Sheridan es invitado al rancho de los hermanos desaparecidos por su actual dueño, no deja escapar la oportunidad. La visita concuerda de maravilla con su plan de aclarar ese misterio de cien años de anti ...more
Published November 25th 2008 by Bantam (first published January 1966)

To ask other readers questions about El arma rota, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El arma rota

Natalie
Feb 27, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Oh Louis L'amour...I used to always make fun of people that read Louis L'amour, but now I very proudly admit that I belong to that club. They are just fun, pure and simple fun. The writing is quick and the stories perfectly western. I suppose it's not that surprising that I like Louis L'amour, growing up with John Wayne had me primed and ready to fall in love with western reading.

This book was a little different then the others I've read. I it was set in "present times" which, for L'amour, was
Rob Smith
Feb 24, 2015 Rob Smith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I see a well illustrated old west themed cover to a Louis L'Amour book, the title 'The Broken Gun' and I plunge into a novel that instantly confuses me. It takes a few pages to realize when in time this novel falls. There is no mention of it. There is a mention of 90 years before...but, before what?

By the third page the Korean War is mentioned.

Involving stroytelling, time should be established in some way off the top if a story about different time periods is being unraveled. Instead L'Amour le
Gary Butler
Jul 16, 2016 Gary Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
33rd book read in 2016.

Number 360 out of 526 on my all time book list.

Review Pending:
Monica Willyard
Oct 08, 2015 Monica Willyard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshare, nls
Sometimes you really need to see the good guys win. The action in this book is fast-paced, tough, and smart. Yes, parts of it are probably beyond belief. It was fun anyway.
Jerry
Feb 25, 2017 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat more modern western, involving a Korean war vet using the skills that helped him escape POW camps survive a murder attempt on a remote ranch. It’s written in first person long after the narrator was in the Korean War, long after he’s built a comfortable life for himself as a writer of westerns. Research for his latest book leads him to danger when his research unearths clues to a century-old crime—but he doesn’t realize until after we do that there are still people benefiting from tha ...more
Laura Verret
Dan Sheridan could have been a cattleman or a ranch owner. Instead, he became a soldier, blasted his way through Vietnam, and returned home a writer and historian. A popular novelist, he is always looking for a fresh plot. When he stumbles across several pages from a ninety-year-old diary, he discovers just the plot he needs.

The Toomey brothers, who traveled west nearly a hundred years before, vanished as they passed through Arizona. It is a scrap from John Toomey’s journal – written before his
Claire
Mar 16, 2014 Claire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I tried to like this book, but I just didn't. I don't know if it's a personal issue - I'm not particularly a fan of Westerns so I am not well read in the genre. Or honestly it could just be a weak book. I'm leaning more towards the latter.

Broken Gun tells the story of writer/historian/Korean War veteran Dan Sheridan, who buys an old broken gun in a pawn shop and finds part of a ninety year old journal wrapped up and stuck inside the barrel. Curiosity piqued, Sheridan decides to investigate the j
David Williams
Feb 18, 2012 David Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Sheridan buys an old broken gun in a pawn shop and finds part of a ninety year old journal wrapped up and stuck inside the barrel. He is a writer and decides to look into the story of the Toomey brothers. The only trouble is that the people who own the land now have a secret, and it is a secret that they are prepared to kill for. Soon Dan finds himself on the run, hunted through what once once Apache country. Only his pursuers don't realize that he is no city boy. He was born and raised on a ...more
Steve Chaput
Mar 31, 2014 Steve Chaput rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bit different from the usual Louis L'Amour, as it's a contemporary Western. Dan Sheridan is a writer and historian of the Old West. While visiting Arizona to research a possible new book he finds that a man who had wanted to meet with has been killed. Shortly thereafter he is invited by a local rancher to visit his home, which happens to be the last known whereabouts of the Toomey Bros., whose mysterious disappearance some ninety years before Sheridan was looking into. All too soon, th ...more
Ethan
Oct 10, 2016 Ethan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Broken Gun written by louis L’aumer is about some person that goes by the of dan went to the wild west in search of the toomy brothers. He had a very unexpected invitation to visit the farm that the brothers used to own. But when Dan comes to document the mystery the owner isn’t to pleased. Dan was chased out and has now a crew of bandits on him. He is very soon to realize what happened to the toomy brothers, But will dan himself make it out of harm's way?
One part of the book I enjoyed was t
An Odd1
May 13, 2012 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Broken Gun" by Louis L'Amour holds journal pages from John Toomey, whose brother Clyde, the best of 27 men, and 4K cattle vanished from 1870s Arizona. Ninety years later, the narrator, writer Dan Sheridan, is invited to the ranch of good-looking hard-hearted Colin and Doris Wells, whose hand Reese just killed Manuel Alvarez, before he could pass on vital information to Dan. Ignorant that Dan as an elite soldier repeatedly escaped with victim's brother Pio, the conspirators plot more deaths, ...more
Ed
Aug 16, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, western, mystery
This 1966 western is an unusual offering from author L'Amour being set in the present. An author finds a 90 year old diary fragment and investigates what happened to the diary author. This novel was very loosely made into a movie, Cancel My Reservation (1972) starring Bob Hope.

Western - Ninety years ago the Toomey brothers, along with twenty-five other men and four thousand head of cattle, vanished en route to Arizona. When writer and historian Dan Sheridan is invited to the missing brothers' ra
Larry Hostetler
Dec 15, 2012 Larry Hostetler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Not sure whether to give this 2.5, 3, 3.5 or 4 stars. On the plus side, it is a unique Louis L'Amour western in that it is set in the 1950s with historical plot lines in the old west. As with all his books, the geographic setting (this one in the Yavapai County area near Prescott and in the Verde river valley) is well-researched and a dramatic background for the story. But unlike most of his writing, I felt the expression of a sense of danger from the protagonist was overstated, repetitive and d ...more
Rick Bavera
I am not a fan of westerns--movies or books--in part because of the stereotypes that tend to be found in them, in part because the stories seem to be told to a formula. And "formula" shouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, I guess....I read a lot of "popular" fiction, which is often "formula" too.

I will also admit that I have read only a few westerns over the years....because I am not crazy about the genre in general, in addition to the reasons stated above.

Saying that, I actually whizzed through
Matthew McDill
"The Broken Gun" is a fun and quick read. It is one of L'Amours less common stories set in the 20th century (around the 50's/60's). The story is interesting since it connects with mysteries from the late 19th century West (L'Amours more common setting).

Sometimes the story seems scattered, but still keeps you hooked. As usual, it includes mild language. In this case, it also includes some bikini babes. The hero is a considerate, self-sacrificing young man trying to deal with selfish murderers.
Emily Hunholz
Like L'Amour's other novels, this one had good action, but it wasn't my favorite. Dan Sheridan was a little over-the-top for me. He seemed too perfect at everything he did. He was the best rider, shooter, etc. even though he hadn't been on a ranch since he was young. I also had a hard time following some of the movement. The book is set in the Arizona mountains where Dan gets trapped. Though there were a lot of descriptions, but I couldn't quite picture how he was moving between the cliffs and c ...more
Adam Shields
Short review: I grew up on westerns. I have read scores of them, scores of them just by L'Amour. It has been a long time since I read a western so this is a nostalgia book. It is fine, the hero wins, the guy gets the girl, the bad guys are either dead or in jail. All is right with the world again. I won't be returning to this genre soon. But it fed the desire for wholeness and for hero stories that I had as a teen.

My full review is on my blog at at http://bookwi.se/lamour
Villager
Interesting twist to have the western set in "modern" days (at least current through the year the book was written by the author). It gives Louis L'Amour a chance to plot a story about a western mystery being solved 90 years after the fact. There are 'Black hat' cowboys, beautiful women and of course there is a boxing scene -- L'Amour loves to intertwine boxing into each of his westerns.

This was a decent story and worth it for L'Amour fans or those with a little time on their hands.
Greg
Sep 13, 2008 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike most of Louis L'Amour's novels, The Broken Gun is set in more modern times, though still on a ranch in the west. With the same sense of a good fireside tale, LL invites the reader into the experiences of a journalist caught unexpectedly in the midst of murder and theft. An old broken sixgun he finds provides some clues that first lead him deeper into danger, then to resolution. Not my favorite of LL's novels, but not bad. Of course, I have enjoyed most of his books!
Justin Pendrey
Jan 04, 2017 Justin Pendrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Broken Gun is yet another satisfying western that has all the essential parts of an easy reader. This is a modern western which has a mystery surrounding a ranch in the middle of no mans land, and it bring this place to life. I would suggest this book to anyone who wants to read something quick, easy, and with an inevitable happy ending. This book was different to the last L'amour book I read because of the modernish setting and the romantic angle.
Benedict
I enjoyed Zane Grey so I wanted to read some Louis L'Amour.

I was disappointed with the emotional dryness of the book and the though the writer's skill was obvious, the book felt mechanical.

If you want good cowboy stuff I would recommend Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey. I should say that these great early writers of this genre were quite good and worthy of attention
Blair
May 10, 2012 Blair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A "modern" western, it tells the tale of a retired cowpoke/Korean War veteran-turned author doing some research on a will found rolled up in the barrel of a "broken gun". He shows up at a ranch to investigate the back story and the scenery and quickly finds himself fighting for his life to survive a cover-up that had been ongoing for more than 70-years.
Mike
Jul 19, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah... refreshing. A much needed turn to an example of a healthy man doing the right thing for those who need a bit of help. Understanding that men is a warring beast, L'Amour presents a good, virtuous man that can fight the war and win. This is a narrative that we are missing and something that not only our youth need to be exposed to, it is something that men of all ages can read.
Reuel
Oct 19, 2014 Reuel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I suppose a Westerner "should" read at least one Louis L'Amour novel. It's sort of the Nancy Drew series of cowboy stories. The good guy beats the bad guys and gets the girl. (My Dad read Louis L'Amour novels in translation in Poland as a boy.)Not exactly great literature, but this was a fun, light read while I was traveling through the area nearby where the story took place.
Raymond Fleer
May 01, 2013 Raymond Fleer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good. There was a writer who was doing some research on the Toomey Brothers. He got invited out to the ranch of the Toomey Brothers. He got out there and there was trouble from the get go. They wanted to kill him because they did not want to lose their ranch. They tried everything to get rid of him and the girl of the other ranch to have more land.
Kendra
Jan 23, 2015 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book felt a little different from the majority of L'amour's books that I have read. It was set in modern day, but was still part of a story from the past. Part western, part action/adventure, and part mystery... this book has a little something for a lot of people. I really enjoyed it and it was a fast read.
Bruce Nordstrom
Mar 24, 2014 Bruce Nordstrom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a little different from other L'Amour westerns I've read. It is set in the twentith century, rather than the earlier west as is his usual habit. However, as is his habit, L'Amour writes with plenty of excitment, plot twists, and just plain guts. I read this one in one sitting, and will be reading it again.
May 25, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was set contemporarily for L'Amour (in the 50's) and I like the change of setting. In "Broken Gun", L'Amour show that the frontiersmen aren't a dead bread; a lot like the thinking behind "Last of the Breed". The protagonist is a western writer who, like L'Amour, is no desk jockey. It was fun.
Peggy
Jul 20, 2011 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was right on the level of Bendigo Shafter, a great western novel involving a writer who comes to Arizona to follow up on a note he found in a broken gun. His life is in danger as he tries to solve the mystery left behind. The suspense is sustained through the story, and I think this is one of L'Amour's better books.
Mike
Jun 15, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read for me. I first read this story while living in Colorado and recently picked it up again. A unique detective story of the mid-20th century spurred by events of the late 19th and early 20th century.
  • Desert Gold
  • Black Jack
  • The Killing Season (Trail of  the Gunfighter, #2)
  • The Violent Land (The Family Jensen, #3)
  • A Trace of Memory
  • The Shootist
  • Rebel Spurs
  • Washington! (Wagons West, #9)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...