Start by marking “Lord Weary's Castle: The Mills of the Kavanaughs” as Want to Read:
Lord Weary's Castle: The Mills of the Kavanaughs

Lord Weary's Castle: The Mills of the Kavanaughs

A combined edition of the poet's early work, including Lord Weary's Castle, a collection of forty-two short poems, which won the 1947 Pulitzer Prize, and The Mills of the Kavanaughs, a narrative poem of six hundred lines, and five other long poems.
Published March 20th 1968 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about Lord Weary's Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Weary's Castle

Steve
Sep 23, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I made the mistake of trying to read this collection while reading another book. These are very demanding poems, and I had to go back and reread many of them. That said, the reading experience left me feeling like I’d just had a November dip in the North Atlantic. These are dark, cold, and troubled poems. Perhaps I’m projecting what little I remember of Lowell troubled life from a biography I read many years ago, but I don’t think so. Don’t get me wrong, in a formal sense, I’d say these are outs ...more
Jon Corelis
Jan 21, 2013 Jon Corelis rated it it was amazing
One of the best modern American poetry books

***** A Five Star Poetry Book: Recommended for All Readers

Though admittedly he had an intermittent connection with the academic world, for me Robert Lowell is perhaps the last recognized major American poet outside of the Beats who was really a poet rather than a verse-writing professor. This collection is excellent both in itself and as an introduction to Lowell's poetry. Anyone who is seriously interested in modern American poetry will know about Low
Justin
Nov 24, 2008 Justin rated it it was amazing
I'm currently reading this. I think that, for all his faults and excesses, Lowell had the greatest verbal facility of any poet writing in English. His rhymes just flow. His subjects come glancing at you like shrapnel. "The Mills of the Kavanaughs" is hypnotic, whether it ultimately makes any "sense" or not. I'm still immersed in it, it's like making a friend for life.
Emily
Oct 17, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, favorites, poetry
I've always thought of Lowell as more of a confessional poet, but this work echoes the religious poems of the Puritans of early New England.
Pamela
Jan 16, 2009 Pamela rated it it was amazing
I'm reading the first half of this for a literature class. I really enjoyed the formalism of Lord Weary's Castle.
Ben Jones
Ben Jones rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Phoenix_ Phoenix_
Phoenix_ Phoenix_ rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Niel Rosenthalis
Niel Rosenthalis rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2009
Peter Oresick
Peter Oresick rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2009
Matsless
Matsless rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2008
Maxwell
Maxwell rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2009
Kevin Hilke
Kevin Hilke rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2009
Cate
Cate rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2008
Gerald King
Gerald King rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Jonathan Kieran
Jonathan Kieran rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Shawn Sturgeon
Shawn Sturgeon rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2009
Carter
Carter rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2007
Ron
Ron rated it did not like it
Aug 22, 2007
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2009
Emily Claire
Emily Claire rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Eric
Nov 27, 2008 Eric marked it as to-read
Shelves: poetry
The Yankee Faulkner! I'm excited.
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2011
Drangspume
Drangspume rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
Justin Potter
Justin Potter rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Mark G. Davis
Mark G. Davis rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2011
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Pav
Pav rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Lowell, born Robert Traill Spence Lowell, IV, was an American poet whose works, confessional in nature, engaged with the questions of history and probed the dark recesses of the self. He is generally considered to be among the greatest American poets of the twentieth century.

His first and second books, Land of Unlikeness (1944) and Lord Weary's Castle (for which he received a Pulitzer Prize
More about Robert Lowell...