Start by marking “William's Ninth Life” as Want to Read:
William's Ninth Life

William's Ninth Life

4.68 of 5 stars 4.68  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  8 reviews
William, an old cat who has lived happily with an old woman, is given a chance to pick a new life for himself.
Hardcover, 1 page
Published September 1st 1993 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published June 1993)

To ask other readers questions about William's Ninth Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William's Ninth Life

Leigh
a sweet story about an old cat and the lonely old woman who owns him. When offered a chance to lead a glorious 9th life, he asks to simply repeat his 8th life, so as not to grieve his owner with his death. Long out of print, and it's a shame because this is a beautiful and touching story.
Bobtado
this book makes me cry like a small girl with a skinned knee.
if you don't like this book you re a reptilian creep.
oh,and the illustration is cool too.
Ingrid
Easily the saddest children's book I've ever read. Has a perfect mix of heart-wrenching, lovable, and spooky.

Recommend to everyone ever.
~katie~
This is one of my very favorite children's books. It's out of print so if you can get your hands on one...do! Perfect for any cat lovers out there.
Mindy
I love this book the art and the story, tho it's sad. I gave it to my best friend and her family.
Stephanie Butenhof
One of the sweetest, saddest children's books I've ever read. I picked it up at a library clearance sale, where it was one dollar for an entire box of books. I don't remember the rest of the books I got that day, but this one was worth more to me than the whole rest of the box combined.
William's Ninth Life makes me tear up every single time I read it.
My kids even got to the point where they'd say, "No, Mom. Not "William's Ninth Life" again !" They're all edging closer to 10 now, and, I think,
Marsha
This is a haunting story about what happens after death. True, it’s about a feline but it’s no less poignant for all that.

The illustrations have a delicate look about them, as if life were only a gauzy film over the world and yet all the more thrilling for its impermanence. The ghost cat who talks to William is an ethereal vision, translucent and hinting of the ocean that plays such an important part of William’s current life. William, on the other hand, is no plump, pretty, cuddly, adorable cr
Carole
William has been with his current companion for many years, and they are both growing old. He has a chance to begin a new life with a new companion for his ninth life. This book is about his decision.
Baylee Grizzlibear
Baylee Grizzlibear marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Melissa Reeves-payne
Melissa Reeves-payne marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2012
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
May 06, 2011