Start by marking “The Priest” as Want to Read:
The Priest

The Priest (Supernatural Minnesota #3)

Since his work first began to appear in the early 1960s, Thomas Disch has proven himself, again and again, to be one of the most prodigiously talented novelist/playwright/poets of our time. In Newsweek he was saluted by Walter Clemons as "the most formidably gifted unfamous American writer." But in 1991, with the publication of The M.D., Disch's remarkably various gifts co ...more
Published March 21st 1995 by Knopf (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Priest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Priest

Lori
Sep 01, 2009 Lori rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Hmmm.
I find it interesting how 2 stars can mean different things to different books. In the case of The Priest, 2 stars is my way of saying - Hey! I finished you! You weren't completely horrible! But man, oh man, did you miss the mark!

Here- we have a book that is just trying waaaay to hard to be something it's not. Something it just wasn't meant to be. Something that is (perhaps) a little more complicated than the author can handle.

We are tossed back and forth between numerous character storyl
Ignacio Senao f
-Historia: 5. Primero decir que entiendo que tenga tan poca puntuación global, pues le da caña a la religión cual martillo pilón. Mucha cantidad de creyentes lo habrán leído por múltiple razones y como no cabe duda le pondrán 1 estrellita (lo entiendo).
La historia es muy atrayente: Un cura pederasta, borracho y homo sexual que se dedica a disfrutar de sus gustos, pero hay alguien que se entera y se la juega… a partir de ahí este cura viaja a la edad media mediante un tatuaje que se estaba hacie
by Ax
Mar 24, 2015 by Ax rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastico
Astenersi chierichetti

Se avete fatto i chierichetti, non leggetelo, potrebbero riaffiorare ricordi sepolti e dimenticati.
Se credete nella Chiesa, non leggetelo, potrebbe farvi riflettere.
Se provate simpatia per i preti, non leggetelo, vi lascerà l'amaro in bocca. Ops.
Se siete omofobi, non leggetelo, potrebbe piacervi... e tanti saluti alla vostra autostima.

Per tutti gli altri invece, leggetelo, Disch è un autore intelligente e capace di trattarvi da adulti, portando all'estremo situazioni che la
Randolph Carter
Erin
May 25, 2008 Erin rated it it was ok
This was weird. I usually like weird. This was OK, not great, and the constantly shifting perspectives, while important to the plot, made the novel hard to follow, probably especially because I was only mildly interested. The author does manage to make a pedophile priest (no spoiler there) a fairly sympathetic character, but only in a very odd sense. I can see that it might have a cult following of some sort, but I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.
Nigel
Mar 18, 2013 Nigel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The Supernatural Minnesota books are just so damned good. The MD will remain one of the greatest literary horror novels of all time, but the other three are in no way to be sneezed at.

The Priest seems like an appropriate read at the moment. When it came out the various scandals that were rocking the Catholic Church were pretty bad, but few could have imagined the deluge to come. Well, Disch did, in a kind of murderous, tragic, apocalyptic way. Now there's a new pope and he taint of scandal has
R.
Jul 19, 2007 R. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
1. Disch wrote some sci-fi during the New Wave 60s; also a collaboration or two with John Sladek (see review of "Tik-Tok").

According to the Library of Congress data, this book contains...the catholic church, clergy, extortion, minnesota, minneapolis, child molesters, rehabilitation, minneapolis (again), and time travel.

This...this dude also wrote, "The Brave Little Toaster" and "The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars".

And dude has a livejournal.

2. Half-way thru as of July 23rd. I suppose some o
Tom Mueller
Disch slams the Catholic Church like no other author I've read. This has not gone unnoticed by the Church; another of his works, "The Cardinal Detoxes", a one act play "has been vigorously protested by the Catholic Church".
The sub title of "The Priest" is "a Gothic Romance", but that is far from all it is. Facets of Medieval Historical Fiction of early Catholicism are intertwined with later day happenings in the Church. They are connected by the protagonist(s?), who may have a split personality
Guy Salvidge
Jan 05, 2017 Guy Salvidge rated it liked it
Disch is one of those authors I've managed to collect about ten books by over the years without ever being sure that I even like his writing all that much. He's a good writer, just quirky. The Priest is especially quirky. I thought the first hundred or so pages to be strong and well written, but after that I thought the plot degenerated into a big goddamn mess that someone ought to have put down.
Xavi Aznar
Oct 21, 2014 Xavi Aznar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leídos, leidos-2014
Me lo recomendó una compañera de trabajo diciendo que "tenía que leerlo hasta el final". Si no hubiera sido porque insistió en ello varias veces, probablemente habría dejado el libro a medias. La mayoría de los personajes son curas homosexuales y/o pedófilos, marujas obtusas ultra-religiosas y chicas adolescentes embarazadas que quieren abortar. Por tanto, nada en el libro me atraía, aunque el autor escribe con soltura, en un estilo que hace fácil la lectura a pesar del tema. Afortunadamente, el ...more
Traummachine
Mar 30, 2012 Traummachine rated it really liked it
Continuing in the quiet, slow-burning vein of The Businessman and The M.D., this time Disch tells the tale of a blackmailed priest. He's originally presented as a good enough guy, but very soon it's revealed that he's had relations with boys in their tweens. The blackmail isn't for money though, it's for his soul, and the story winds a very strange course as it progresses.

Our hero(?) blacks out and wakes in Europe during the Inquisition. He's apparently switched bodies with a Bishop from that ti
Eli Bishop
Dec 01, 2010 Eli Bishop rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-sff
Reading through the Supernatural Minnesota series again, I was struck by how well they go together in spite of their different premises and contradictory events... and also by how incredibly much better this one book is than I remembered. Maybe it's that it feels less detached; Disch's irony is always ten feet deep, and so it is here too, but he's writing about the Catholic Church and he clearly had some very, very strong and complicated feelings about it, so there's a little more sweat visible. ...more
Jessica Donohoe
Jul 30, 2008 Jessica Donohoe rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young male Catholic-high-school-drop-outs
Better than imitators, more [disjointedly, dream-disruptingly] populous than predecessors. This is the first Disch book I've put down before finishing, then half-heartedly picked back up to see how it all ended. Fundamental to the story is a visceral iconic trope, but the visceral bits are horribly misrepresented: it reads like sexist* shallow teenaged [tattoo] fantasy. Most Disch characters are wrought such that you might feel grateful or dirty for having tiptoed around in their shoes for a whi ...more
Bruce
Dec 13, 2013 Bruce rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Disch is a master of highlighting the foibles (and much worse) of humanity. Here his target is the catholic church, with some swipes at Whitley Streiber along the way. His prose is top notch as usual. The ending is a bit odd, maybe too clever or not as well executed as the rest, as he reframes, twice, the events of the novel.

I would say a lot of bad things happen to good people in this book, but it's hard to find anyone truly good here.
Peter
Aug 22, 2009 Peter rated it liked it
Shelves: religion, fantasy, fiction
Thomas M. Disch was a great SF writer, excellent theatre critic and all around intriguing individual. This novel, an account of a pedophile priest living life simultaneously as a perverse 13th century bishop is both surreal and an intriguing commentary on the unfolding sexual scandal amoung priests in the United States in the 1990s.
Micah Parker
Jan 08, 2015 Micah Parker rated it it was amazing
It seems like people either get Disch or just don't, and there's no middle ground. This book is amazing, read it if you like religious mythology and don't offend easily. It's in my top ten, but I can't really describe it more than that. Just read it and go along for the ride.
Caleb.Lives
Another novel praised solely for its (ever so marketable and fashionable) subject matter, and not for its actual quality.
To be avoided, unless prospective reader has some axes to grind with certain group.
Fer Mariscal
Una historia que parece ser muy buena ya que como tema principal tiene a las dos palabras que mejor se llevan en una oración: pederastía - religión.
Sin embargo, después de un cuarto del libro o la mitad, todo se vuelve aburrido y siempre ocurre lo mismo. Ya quedara a tu opinión.
Cierra Wilfong
Jun 30, 2016 Cierra Wilfong rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
So good! I need to read the other books that are part of the Supernatural Minnesota Series.
Pompeia
Pompeia rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2006
Thomas Burchfield
Thomas Burchfield rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Sigurgeir
Sigurgeir rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Cheryl DeFranceschi
Cheryl DeFranceschi rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2013
David Ashton
David Ashton rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Guy-Enigmatico
Guy-Enigmatico rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Graham Vingoe
Graham Vingoe rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Pat Mills
Pat Mills rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Michelle K
So tired of seeing Catholic priests being portrayed as kiddie-abusing villians. No. Just...no.
Baldassarre
Baldassarre rated it did not like it
Aug 20, 2015
Haywan Al-Hashishi
Haywan Al-Hashishi rated it did not like it
May 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Strange Evil
  • Rats and Gargoyles
  • Viriconium Nights
  • The Dream Years
  • The Dark Domain
  • Hawkmoon (Eternal Champion, #3)
  • Red Star
  • Une Semaine de Bonté
  • The Iron Dragon's Daughter
  • Life During Wartime
  • News from Nowhere and Other Writings
  • Casa tomada y otros cuentos
  • The Beyond
  • Soldiers of Paradise (The Starbridge Chronicles, #1)
Poet and cynic, Thomas M. Disch brought to the sf of the New Wave a camp sensibility and a sardonicism that too much sf had lacked. His sf novels include Camp Concentration, with its colony of prisoners mutated into super-intelligence by the bacteria that will in due course kill them horribly, and On Wings of Song, in which many of the brightest and best have left their bodies for what may be genu ...more
More about Thomas M. Disch...

Supernatural Minnesota (4 books)
  • The Businessman