Start by marking “The Monster Club” as Want to Read:
The Monster Club

The Monster Club

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Dark and deep beneath the pavement of London's Swallow Street , is the dark and dreadful place known as the Monster Club. Vampires and Ghouls, Mocks and Shadmocks mingle with the macabre membership, lurking in the dark places, waiting to pounce on all that lives in the light... (back cover copy)

CONTENTS
Prologue
The Werewolf and The Vampire
Monster Club Interlude: 1
The Mock
Mo
Published February 29th 1992 by Severn House Publishers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Monster Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster Club

Kimberly
Apr 20, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review to come.
Kirstin
Oct 08, 2014 Kirstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway! :)

Donald McCloud could not let the man starve in the street. He stops and offers to bring the stranger home for a sup. Turns out the stranger is a vampire, and Donald is the main course.

To repay this kind 'donation' the stranger, now known as Eramus, offers to bring Donald down to 'the club'.

Soon Donald finds himself surrounded by all sorts of monsters. Vampires, werewolves, ghouls, mocks, and shadmocks, all lounging, drinking, and eating at The Monster Club.
K.T. Katzmann
Jun 29, 2015 K.T. Katzmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans, lovers of Stephen King/Ray Bradbury short stories, werevamps, shadmocks, and humgoos
Shelves: monsters
 photo Monsters_Rule_Okay_zpshkujqp2f.jpg
A heart-breaking, goofy, charming, and dark book you should absolutely not read from the beginning.

I discovered R. Chetwynd-Hayes through the cornball but wonderfully fun Vincent Price adaptation of this book. I found the story "The Werewolf and the Vampire" in an anthology and absolutely loved the world-building, sorrow and tenderness in it.

Then I read it in this anthology, and wondered what the author was thinking, but we'll get to that.

The Monster Club is about Dennis (Chetwynd-Hayes himself
Steven
Feb 22, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd seen the movie based on The Monster Club when I was younger, and read a few of Chetwynd-Hayes' stories. I'm pleased to note that the original stories are darker than the film (the Shadmock in particular), and sad I didn't seek them out earlier.
A.P. Sessler
May 08, 2014 A.P. Sessler rated it really liked it
Having been a fan of the movie for years I finally had to purchase this book and learn about the great R. Chetwynd Hayes, who I immediately found out is not the protagonist in the book version.
The book is definitely darker than the movie, which is much more tongue-in-cheek in its framing device.
I now wish the movie had kept with the monsterology of the book, which is quite trend-setting or breaking in my opinion. It details how monsters breed, feed, and exist.
I wish RCH's more-deserving monsters
jennifer
Jan 08, 2010 jennifer rated it it was amazing
"Monsters Rule OK!
Sorry, but anyone who's a fan of the fantastic 1980 movie based on this book would get that. This is a collection of short stories, published in 1975, tied together by the story within the story.
A man, Donald, finds a starving man on the streets of London. He takes him home and makes him a meal but the starving man is actually a vampire who hasn't feed in weeks. As an apology for attacking Donald, the vampire takes him to an underground club where all the members are monsters-
Richard
This book is corny, comic, dark, gothic, and often twisted. Not only do these stories feature some clsssic monsters, i.e. the vampire, the werewolf and the ghoul, it shows us what can happen when they interbreed. Normal standards are inverted as the monsters become to some extent the good guys or even the tragic heroes, while humans, it is suggested, are the truly evil ones because of their ingenuity where self-destruction is concerned. While this may be true in many respects, the way Chetwynd-H ...more
Patrick Day
Jun 08, 2014 Patrick Day rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
British short stories as witty as they are horrific. I picked this up because I saw the film adaptation of "The Humgoo" when I was a kid and it messed me up. The story is just as good, but so are the rest. "The Shadmock," with it's ever polite yet bloodthirsty ghouls, is another favorite.
Paul McNamee
Apr 06, 2015 Paul McNamee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good chills and wry humor. Only the framing device and 2 of these stories made it into the movie of the same name. Fortunately, my favorite, "The Humgoo" reads as well as the movie story gave me chills.
Lisa
Aug 09, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I have always loved this creepy book I got from my grandmother. I've never seen the movie but I plan to now, having re-read this book again!
Sonja
Mar 11, 2012 Sonja rated it liked it
It was an original read.
Onion Budgie
Onion Budgie rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Emma Allan
Emma Allan rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Stephen Collins
Stephen Collins rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Mitch Carpenter
Mitch Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Riju Ganguly
Riju Ganguly marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Jonathan Cromack
Jonathan Cromack rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Alain Chappaz
Alain Chappaz rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Jett
Jett is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2016
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Daphne
Daphne is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2016
HFK
HFK marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Peter
Peter added it
Jan 23, 2016
Denny
Denny rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Mrs
Mrs rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
  • Blood Is Not Enough: 17 Stories of Vampirism
  • Nightshade & Damnations
  • Tales from the Nightside
  • The Cormorant
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • Haggopian and Other Stories (Best Mythos Tales)
  • The Entity
  • Wildwood
  • The Language of Fear
  • House of Windows
  • The God of the Razor
Ronald Henry Glynn Chetwynd-Hayes aka Angus Campbell.

Ronald Chetwynd-Hayes was an author, best known for his ghost stories. His first published work was the science fiction novel The Man From The Bomb in 1959. He went on to publish many collections and ten other novels including The Grange, The Haunted Grange, And Love Survived and The Curse of the Snake God. He also edited over 20 anthologies. Se
More about R. Chetwynd-Hayes...