Start by marking “The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency Vol. 6” as Want to Read:
The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency Vol. 6

The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency Vol. 6 (BBC Afternoon drama: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)

If you've got a problem, and no one else can help you, then pay a visit to Precious Ramotswe, Botswana's only - and finest - female private detective, and her assistant, Mma Makutsi. Her methods may not be conventional, and her manner not exactly Miss Marple, but she's got warmth, wit and canny intuition on her side.
Features two stand-alone BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramas.
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published 2010 by BBC Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency Vol. 6

Sadie-jane (sj) alexis nunis
absolutely hooked to this series....
2 more left :(

will definitely get cracking on the books soon!
Julie Kirkland
Julie Kirkland rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Casi K.
Casi K. rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Cherie Kephart
Cherie Kephart rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Sundance Kid
Sundance Kid rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2016
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Shani Rashid
Shani Rashid rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2017
Maureen Lokrantz
Maureen Lokrantz rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Carmelle
Jun 14, 2012 Carmelle rated it did not like it
Truly, after talking to friends who enjoyed this, I think it was the audio reader who killed this one for me. i couldn't take anything humorously. It all seemed dark, dreary, and never ending. When the plot got more depressing and eerie, I didn't finish.
Simon
Feb 09, 2012 Simon rated it really liked it
This, friends, is a delightful little novel. I loved the main character and milieu so much that I was perfectly happy to overlook the loose and meandering plot. The almost-picaresque structure of Precious Ramotswe's adventures as the sole proprietor of Botswana's Number One Ladies' Detective Agency makes for an entertaining, episodic read that's easy to read in short bursts.

It's a novel firmly grounded in setting, as well. The country and culture of Botswana are deeply ingrained in the story, an
Gabrielle Coffman
May 23, 2013 Gabrielle Coffman rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I love the character of the detective, Precious Ramotswe, she is such an endearing person. She has had a difficult past but has found a way to live and thrive with her own sense of beauty and charm, I want to be just like her when I grow up!

I encourage all my book club friends to read this author if they haven't already- here is his website-

www.alexandermccallsmith.co.uk

He also writes juvenile fiction... I can't wait to check out his other books..
Mary
Jun 07, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
The book I have read is the first book in "The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series. It is interesting to consider that a woman would start her own detective agency. To make it even better, the story is set in Africa. As a result, I have learned something new about a different part of the world: its people, language, and culture. The main character is unique, as are her cases. Makes me want to read more in the series.
Susiane
Feb 09, 2012 Susiane rated it really liked it
I cant remember the last time I read a mystery novel, but this one was good. Easy read with an interesting storyline. I love any book with any theme of female empowerment and this fits right in. Its about a single woman in Botswana who opens a detective agency with no professional experience, just tuned intuition and common sense. This was a fun book to read and not one that I would usual pick out.
Liz Kickham
This was a fun and quick little read. The main character's 'adventures' were a bit tame and sometimtes the solutions to the problems, while very clever, seemed a bit too simplistic/easy. I like a bit more complexity. I also wondered about the author's essentialization of his female protagonist. She seemed one-dimensional in many ways even give the attempt at back story.
Ruby
Oct 08, 2012 Ruby rated it really liked it
(audiobook) I enjoyed this so much! . It is not just a detective book. It is a book that lets you experience Botswana. I felt I was there watching Mma Ramotswe solve her cases and outwitting the criminals while sitting at her agency sipping bush tea and enjoying pumpkin stew.
Jackie
Aug 21, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
So fun, So cute, easy and it takes place in Afica, so it's like a mini vaca for your mind.

I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever have a daughter - this would be a good one for a tween, or maybe younger?

Only read the first one though.
Paula Soper
Mar 01, 2014 Paula Soper rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
It's amazing how much more a book contains when I read it for a second time. I now know what a "go away" bird looks and sounds like. I am saddened by references to apartheid. I think I have found my new listening series.
Nicole
Aug 07, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was my first "cozy mystery" and I really enjoyed it. The characters are likable and the author manages to tackle some pretty grim subject matter without going completely dark and depressing.
Cath
Dec 26, 2012 Cath rated it really liked it
Loved this book- simple and so enjoyable. The essence of Botswana seems to permeate as Precious Ramotse meticulously goes about solving the cases brought to her. A pleasure to read
Maria
Aug 14, 2015 Maria added it
I know that a lot of people enjoy this series, and I wanted to give it a try. Definitely it is NOT the type of book I enjoy.... Sorry, Alexander!
Chris
Aug 06, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Alexander McCall Smith has created a wonderful, engaging, clever main character.I'm looking forward to the next installment in the series.
Cathy Cross
Mar 26, 2013 Cathy Cross rated it it was amazing
a great mystery with loveable characters. McCall Smith got the Botswana manners and details just right
Lynette
Oct 20, 2012 Lynette rated it it was amazing
The character of Precious Mamotswe is endearing and emboldening. I would like to meet her - she rocks!
Susan
Sep 30, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
just reading this for my book group for the second time - I love these books as an easy but rewarding read.
Jeri
May 14, 2012 Jeri rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audio book. Wonderful voice on the narrator. Great story with such dear characters.
Deirdre
Jan 26, 2013 Deirdre rated it liked it
Loved this folksy book and McCall's characters. I was actually in Botswana when reading this book.
Alison
Jul 16, 2013 Alison rated it really liked it
Great novel that is a laid back read giving insight into what life is like in Kenya.
Leslie
Jul 07, 2012 Leslie rated it it was amazing
This series is lovely. Deceptively simple, full of charm and warmth.
Pamela Blunt
Jan 09, 2014 Pamela Blunt rated it really liked it
I like all of his novels--just sweet, engaging light mysteries.
Kathryn
Apr 09, 2012 Kathryn marked it as to-read
This is a simple, feel-good book that I really enjoyed.
Agi
Agi rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2009
Halonso
Halonso marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2010
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2010
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2010
Sarah added it
Jan 07, 2011
JudyG
JudyG rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2011
Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the international phenomenon The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, the Isabel Dalhousie Series, the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, and the 44 Scotland Street series. He is professor emeritus of medical law at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and has served on many national and international bodies concerned with bioethics. He was born in what ...more
More about Alexander McCall Smith...

BBC Afternoon drama: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (8 books)
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Vol. 1