Let's Meet on Platform 8

Let's Meet on Platform 8

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  926 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Teri thinks she's found the one, but is it possible that someone else has found him first? After knocking her down while rushing to catch the 6:07 from London, Jamie Duncan bandages Teri Carter's knee, buys her new stockings, seats her on the train with her foot in his lap and taxis her home from the station. Not only is he a romantic hero, but he's witty, charming, and ea...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 1997)

Jan
About 80 pages into this book, I stopped for a few days to contemplate whether I wanted to finish it. Ultimately, I decided that I wanted to see where the story was going - perhaps the characters would redeem themselves - so I picked it up again and powered through. Boy, was I sorry.

Let's Meet on Platform 8 is the story of Jamie and Terri, two London commuters who literally bump into each other at the train station and fall in love. The hitch? Jamie is married, which he doesn't bother to tell Te...more
Karen
Sharal Hunter
I was very disappointed in this story. Why couldn't Jamie have been separated or in the process of getting divorced? I don't understand why people begin new relationships before ending the ones they are currently engaged in completely. I had no respect for either Teri or Jamie for carrying on, though it began innocently. It was hard to dislike Pamela because I thought she was getting a raw deal, though Jamie does go back to her, where does that leave Teri and the possibility that she's pregnant?...more
Holly
I completely agree with the review below. while I didn't dislike this book, I didn't really enjoy it, either. the characters are abit daft and while their relationship is sweet, its not really what I was expecting (or hoping for) and also came off as abit unrealistic. however, the tit for tat (literally) he plays with his wife is quite funny even if her reaction to his "affair" is again quite unbelievable. by the end, she was expecting (and accepting) that he was with his mistress.

He'd be out o...more
Aileen
Teri is single, looking for Mr Right but has been unsuccessful in the
past she works for city television, she gets knocked over her feet by
Jamie Duncan one night at Euston Station, Jamie is very good looking,
they start meeting regularly, only problem is he is married to Pamela
with 2 children, Teri is not happy when he eventually tells her and
gives him a piece of her mind, they agree to be friends, but can a
single girl be just friends with a married man?
I feel awful for saying this because C...more
Paulette
what a great first book! (though not my first CM!) The characters were so real. I felt their joy and pain throughout...and giggled a lot!! Thanks Carole. You are going to owe me another box of man sized kleenex soon
Danielle
I really enjoyed this book, it took me some time to get into it, but once i was i found it very hard to put down. I am a big fan of Carole Matthews and she never disappoints with her books and this book was what i would expect from her. I found that i could really relate to the location of the book and really pictured the scene. I first thought that Teri was going to have a full blown affair with Jamie, but that never really happened until halfway through thr book.I didn't expect the ending eith...more
Ashley
I picked up this book in a charity shop for £1 because I was going on a long train journey and am a sucker for romances. The story is easy to get in to and a good read if you're not going to take it too seriously. There are some good little twists and turns and characters that you wonder about which turn out to have their own little plot lines, which is nice.
You do have to empty your mind before reading though- the whole concept is an affair and I did find myself losing respect for the main cha...more
Claire Frewer
This is still my all time fav book
Danielle
This book was truely brilliant, It tells the tale of Teri who meets Jamie on a train and they fall in love but the catch is that Jamie is married. Even though Jamie is doing something wrong the way his character is written makes you love him and it tells an affair from a different angle than just that of a man that cheats on his wife!
I like the way this story is written from the point of veiw of someone watching rather than being written from the point of view of one of the characters.
Bookguide
I read this in a couple of days in between Christmas shopping and getting ready to visit my in-laws before Christmas. It fitted the bill perfectly as easy-to-read pick up/put down chick-lit. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so was loth to put it down. In actual fact, I found this unexpectedly balanced in telling the story from the point of view of the guilt-ridden husband, the wife he was cheating on, as well as the hopeful mistress. I would definitely recommend this to a friend.
Kylie
This book was a very unsatisfying read. I am not quite sure what Matthews wanted her readers to think about the plot or the characters. I didn't like, dislike or empathise with any of them. The ending wasn't really a resolution of the plot - it was like decisions had been taken out of the characters hands and each one of them had said "Oh well, never mind!"

Ultimately I liked the idea, but feel that I didn't really like the way Matthews developed it.
Melanie
I wish goodreads had half stars - this is probably more 2 1/2 than 2... It was a decent "chick lit" type of book, nothing special and quite predictable, but entertaining. The premise was interesting - coming at from the perspective of being a wife who met her husband when he was married to someone else, it was definitely a book that I felt sympathy for both the women involved, but I ended up being annoyed with them, too, for being so freaking stupid.
Alix
Dreadful.
Kelsie
Although I enjoyed Wrapped Up in You by Carole Matthews, there was nothing I liked about this book. I didn't connect with -- or even LIKE any character. Yes, I read the summary beforehand but it bothered me that not a single character had morals. Everyone just seemed so slimy gross to me. Matthews also made England seem gloomy and depressing. I had to force myself to get through this, only to discover no real conclusion. Ugh.
Jonelle
warning spoiler alert...............not very good. Teri was a hateful character. Jamie was just as bad. There is no redemption for either character. This book began from the perspective of Teri, but it switched to Jamie. I wasn't impressed. I actually felt bad for Pamela. I would have kicked him to the curb instead of buying him tickets to the races dreaming of the jacuzzi and Jamie.
Jenny
It is an ok book that deals with 2 strangers who meet at a train station and have an affair. This affair is awful and makes you dislike the story and the characters at the time, but overall, Matthews had created a solid read. Not one of her best, but a decent effort. (Full review at http://chocolatedigestivebiscuit.blog...)
Jayne
I started this book with high hopes. I love a good romance and this seemed another one of these easy reads. I was was soon in for a suprise. It was with that I read and finished this book. The characters are not likeable and the story was an uncomfortable read... I'm afraid it put me off picking up another book from this author.
Tomi
This is one of the books that shows what reality is about. You find love in the most unlikely of places. I would however have wished that it was not with an already married man...both personalities exercised no self control what so ever. I was quite embarrassed, but I guess that is how life it - it cannot always go your way.
Duntay
I guess this finally confirms that "chick-lit" is not really my thing ..the copy I had came stuck on the front of a magazine and I thought it might be a good holiday read, but I finished it in a few hours. I left it on the train from Inverness to Edinburgh after I'd finished it, so it didn't even make it to the charity shop..
Cori
I thought this was good... it's another book about how affairs get started which for some reason I find really interesting. I think it is really funny how when a story is told from the girlfriend's side you find yourself (almost) hoping the guy leaves the wife for her where in real life I would never want that!
Lea
I generally dislike theme of affairs so my rating reflects that personal opinion. It's hard to imagine that a book that could have been over in five pages lasted over 25 chapters. It's about a girl who falls for a married man - who falls for her too. With pieces about his wife and how they all fit together.
Charity
To cheat or not to cheat? Strangers meet in an unusual way on a train platform and make a connection. They debate on taking it to the next level because one of the strangers is married. Quite a few twists in this book. The ending leaves you hanging, so I'm wondering if there will be a sequel.
Katie
I had mixed feelings about this book. I wanted to like the heroine...but she got involved with a married man. I'm also betting on a sequel because we are left without knowing if she's pregnant or not. On the positive side I did enjoy Carole Matthews writing style!
Sarah Spelbring
Not a traditional romance, but more of a life story. I couldn't keep up with all the cultural references, such as brand names and actors I've never heard of.

It still kept my interest as I wanted to know how it would all end so for that it earns my two star rating.
Karen
This is another good book by Carole Matthews. The story line did seem like it would happen so it did not seem far fetched. Liked all the characters. Also liked the fact that the ending was not predictable and it did not leave you feeling happy or sad.
Jenny Hale
With this book, I did question whether I wanted to keep reading it, but I pressed on, and it was good. It does involve an affair, so that took me aback a little, but all in all, I enjoyed it.
Suzi
I loved this book it was the first Carole Matthews book I had read brought on a whim for a pound from Asda, and it made me go back the next day and buy more of her books whilst they were on offer!
Marlena
Aug 07, 2008 Marlena rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun and easy read. I think women will probably relate to this book more.
Recommended to Marlena by: I found it when I was shopping for a book.
I enjoyed this book. It was an easy and fun read. I couldn't put the book down because I wanted to find out what was going to happen.This book explores all that is invovled in a torrid affair.
Carol Pendlebury
This is the first carole matthews book i have read and i loved it. When i finished the book i felt i needed another to continue the story maybe years later Teri and Jamie meet again. 10/10
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • My Fake Wedding
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • Sleeping Over
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Getting Personal
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Loose Screws
  • Bombshell
  • Losing It
  • Summer With My Sister
120535
Carole Matthews is an international bestselling author of hugely successful romantic comedy novels. Her unique sense of humour has won her legions of fans and critical acclaim all over the world.

A Minor Indiscretion and A Compromising Position both reached the Top 5 in the Sunday Times bestseller chart in the UK. You Drive Me Crazy reached number 8 in the original fiction charts. The novel Welcom...more
More about Carole Matthews...
Girls Night Out (Red Dress Ink Novels) With or Without You The Chocolate Lovers' Club For Better, for Worse The Chocolate Lovers' Diet