Start by marking “The Day of the Dissonance (Spellsinger, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Day of the Dissonance (Spellsinger, #3)

The Day of the Dissonance (Spellsinger #3)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  2,343 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Clothahump, the wizard, is dying. All that can save him are rare medicinal powers to be found across the Glittergeist Ocean, past distant Snarken, Jon-Tom, the Spellsinger, sets out on the most perilous pilgrimage of his still-young career, armed with only his music-making duar and a reluctant Mudge, the otter, as his guide. Along the way he conjures up Roseroar, Amazonian ...more
Published March 1st 1988 by Warner Books Inc (Mm) (first published May 1984)

Thom
Jul 02, 2016 Thom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
Grabbed this quick book in a lull, probably read it as rapidly as my younger self did. This time I was interrupted by work instead of trips to the local video game arcade.

Jon-Tom is tasked with a new quest, and his former companions have scattered to the four winds. He picks up one, the lovable otter Mudge, and sets out to cross an ocean in search of precious medicine. The rest are summoned or acquired on the journey, and make for an interesting assortment.

At times the journey seemed to skip a b
John Barclay
Mar 06, 2017 John Barclay rated it liked it
This was just a bit less of a book than the others. It's another trek across the wilderness that allows our hero to meet new people and face new dangers, with a villain and a new romance and.... well it's fun but little more.
Todd Mulholland
Apr 21, 2014 Todd Mulholland rated it it was amazing
The spellsinger comes into his own.

This is the third book of the spellsinger series, and continues to follow our protagonist, Jon-tom Merriweather. The spellsinger from our land really comes into his own in this book. The previous two books were basically one story, and while the spellsinger came out victorious, he never seemed to be effective, but rather lucky. In this one, he take a far more active agency in his own story.

I liked this one better than the other two. It felt more like a high-fan
Teresa Greer
May 02, 2013 Teresa Greer rated it did not like it
Sentient animals? It's been done better in so many other books. This series of books straddles the line between juvenile and adult lit, and is suitable for neither. Adults will likely find it ridiculous and boring, and unsuitable for younger readers due to the casual dropping of the F-bomb here and there in the dialogue. Not to mention that the constant popular culture references really date the story. Quaint, but not charming.
Camille Stanford
I might have really liked this book - the story, places, and characters were well-developed - except for all the problems I had with the language and innuendos, especially from the side character, Mudge, who seemed to have very few redeeming and likable characteristics at all. I like the idea of spells coming from songs (especially more modern ones), but I don't think I would enjoy the other books of this series.
Chris Boulton
Jun 17, 2013 Chris Boulton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris King
Feb 23, 2012 Chris King rated it liked it
I read this as a teenager.

Back then I read sci-fi and fantasy almost exclusively, and this author (ADF) was one of my favorites; in particular, his Spellsinger series.

Don't know if I would like this book the same if I re-read it as an adult, but in my memory it was an entertaining read.
Sirknimrac
Pretty basic fantasy book. Not hard core reading, but a good read none the less.
John
Nov 16, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1985 grade B
2005 grade B-

Series book SS3
Wendy
Oct 12, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
Well, it's got a gay unicorn - have to give extra points for that!
Peter Curd
Feb 04, 2017 Peter Curd rated it liked it
STILL nothing is happening in these books.. why am I so dedicated to finishing them! I don't know! I just know they go past quickly and I'm happy.

Yet. More. Characters. I've already forgotten who was in the first book, the entire menagerie of a troop that counts as the cast of these stories blurs into one. There is the fighty one, and the other fighty one, then the mouthy one, the reluctant one, and the wise one. I wonder if Foster picked out of a hat who would fill each role before writing the
Aunt Edie
Have you ever watched a movie, a comedy, that was so stupid you wondered why you didn't turn it off? The plot was simply various stock characters careening from situation to situation just so they could make crude and obvious jokes? But you found yourself laughing even when you knew you should be appalled at the bad taste? And so you watched until the end? Yeah, that is this book. You don't have to have read the previous books in the series. The plot is simply an excuse to get the characters int ...more
David Sarkies
Jan 30, 2012 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Michael Driver
Shelves: fantasy
Looking more like an adult version of Narnia
30 January 2012

Well, this is starting to sound more and more like an adult version of the Narnia Chronicles. This is the third book in the series, and the heroes are going on a sea voyage, which is similar to the third book of the Narnia series. However unlike the Narnia series, Jon-Tom does not return to his world after the adventure is completed, and where Voyage of the Dawntredder is based on the Odyssey, this is clearly not (well, Dawntredder is n
Nai Wang
Mar 03, 2017 Nai Wang rated it really liked it
And the story continues! More outrageous fun missadeventures or should I say Mythadventures! LOL Great cast in the audiobook! This story lends itself well to graphic audio!
Jeremy Gallen
Oct 24, 2016 Jeremy Gallen rated it really liked it
In the third installment of Alan Dean Foster’s Spellsinger series, the turtle wizard Clothahump is dying, with medicine from a faraway land being his potential salvation. Thus, Spellsinger Jon-Tom sets off with his lutrine companion Mudge, meeting new characters along the way such as the Amazonian tiger Roseroar, the ferret Jalwar, and a woman named Folly. During their quest, they encounter antagonists such as a parrot pirate named Corroboc, with a rival wizard named Malderpot playing part as we ...more
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Mar 29, 2016 Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: me
Clothahump is dying & Jon-Tom, the Spellsinger, & Mudge set out to save him. Whilst adventuring, he & Roseroar, an Amazonian tiger, rescue Jalwar a ferret & they free Folly, find a forest of Fungoid Frankensteins, a parrot pirate, cannibal fairies, & of course defeat an evil wizard to save the day! Say that ten times fast! Always full of fantastic fantasy fun, these books were like a vacation from the real world; just check right out! We all want to be a Spellsinger, right?
Arito Sato
Feb 20, 2013 Arito Sato rated it liked it
日本語版

頭の痛い魔法使い
Barry
Oct 05, 2007 Barry rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Probably not
Same book, different edition, which explains why I red it long before the listed edition ws published. The jokes were still fresh while the characters were familiar. not an ourstanding book, but entertaining enough.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My Rating System:
Ngutierrez31
Feb 17, 2013 Ngutierrez31 rated it liked it
Incredibly enjoyable. Not as grand as the last two, but none the less a good time.
Jami
Aug 10, 2009 Jami rated it liked it
read this series in high school. I'm sure I liked it much more then than I would now.
Kurt Vosper
Apr 26, 2013 Kurt Vosper rated it liked it
see book 1
M
Mar 28, 2012 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like that this book makes a lot more use of Jon-Tom's spellsinging than the first two did. It's one of the most interesting elements of the series.
Ensiform
Jul 04, 2010 Ensiform rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Still contradictory and jumpily written, although the idea behind the plot was fantastic. Hugely enjoyable and readable --- I read this book and its predecessor on the same day. [Read twice]
C. Scott Kippen
Jan 30, 2014 C. Scott Kippen rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, comic
I am a big fan of ADF, but so far, none of the Spellsinger books have done much for me. I will try another one in the future, but these are on a slippery slope.
Jamie Collins
Apr 13, 2009 Jamie Collins rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Read these repeatedly when I was a kid.
Andy
1ST PBACK EDITION. FOR OTHERS IN SERIES SEE PATHS OF THE PERAMBULATOR.
Janis
Oct 19, 2011 Janis rated it liked it
Somehow I was able to predict part of the ending. I like some of the new characters introduced.
Rowdy
Rowdy rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Tanya
Tanya rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2011
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • The Wizards and the Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
  • The Chronicles of Castle Brass: Count Brass/Quest for Tanelorn/Champion of Garathorm
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • The Silver Crown (Guardians of the Flame, #3)
  • Perseus Spur (Rampart Worlds #1)
  • Riddle of the Seven Realms
  • Dragon Fantastic
  • The Architect of Sleep
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock, #1)
  • The Serpent (Atlan, #1)
  • Dog Wizard (Windrose Chronicles, #3)
  • Robots Have No Tails
  • Earthblood
  • Ancient, My Enemy
  • The Green Odyssey
  • Master of the Sidhe
  • The Birth of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #4)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Spellsinger (8 books)
  • Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1)
  • The Hour of the Gate (Spellsinger, #2)
  • The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)
  • The Paths of the Perambulator (Spellsinger, #5)
  • The Time of the Transference (Spellsinger, #6)
  • Son of Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #7)
  • Chorus Skating (Spellsinger, #8)