Start by marking “The Day of the Dissonance (Spellsinger, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Day of the Dissonance (Spellsinger, #3)

The Day of the Dissonance (Spellsinger #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,001 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Clothahump, the wizard, is dying. All that can save him are rare medicinal powers to be found across the Glittergeist Ocean, past distant Snarken, Jon-Tom, the Spellsinger, sets out on the most perilous pilgrimage of his still-young career, armed with only his music-making duar and a reluctant Mudge, the otter, as his guide. Along the way he conjures up Roseroar, Amazonian ...more
Published March 1st 1988 by Warner Books Inc (Mm) (first published May 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Day of the Dissonance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day of the Dissonance

Todd Mulholland
The spellsinger comes into his own.

This is the third book of the spellsinger series, and continues to follow our protagonist, Jon-tom Merriweather. The spellsinger from our land really comes into his own in this book. The previous two books were basically one story, and while the spellsinger came out victorious, he never seemed to be effective, but rather lucky. In this one, he take a far more active agency in his own story.

I liked this one better than the other two. It felt more like a high-fan
1985 grade B
2005 grade B-

Series book SS3
Teresa Greer
Sentient animals? It's been done better in so many other books. This series of books straddles the line between juvenile and adult lit, and is suitable for neither. Adults will likely find it ridiculous and boring, and unsuitable for younger readers due to the casual dropping of the F-bomb here and there in the dialogue. Not to mention that the constant popular culture references really date the story. Quaint, but not charming.
Camille Stanford
I might have really liked this book - the story, places, and characters were well-developed - except for all the problems I had with the language and innuendos, especially from the side character, Mudge, who seemed to have very few redeeming and likable characteristics at all. I like the idea of spells coming from songs (especially more modern ones), but I don't think I would enjoy the other books of this series.
I read this as a teenager.

Back then I read sci-fi and fantasy almost exclusively, and this author (ADF) was one of my favorites; in particular, his Spellsinger series.

Don't know if I would like this book the same if I re-read it as an adult, but in my memory it was an entertaining read.
Chris Boulton
Pretty basic fantasy book. Not hard core reading, but a good read none the less.
Well, it's got a gay unicorn - have to give extra points for that!
David Sarkies
Jul 17, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Michael Driver
Shelves: fantasy
Looking more like an adult version of Narnia
30 January 2012

Well, this is starting to sound more and more like an adult version of the Narnia Chronicles. This is the third book in the series, and the heroes are going on a sea voyage, which is similar to the third book of the Narnia series. However unlike the Narnia series, Jon-Tom does not return to his world after the adventure is completed, and where Voyage of the Dawntredder is based on the Odyssey, this is clearly not (well, Dawntredder is n
C. Scott Kippen
I am a big fan of ADF, but so far, none of the Spellsinger books have done much for me. I will try another one in the future, but these are on a slippery slope.
боже) ну умора да и только)) продолжаем ненавязчиво поднимать себе настроение)
Oct 05, 2007 Barry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Probably not
Same book, different edition, which explains why I red it long before the listed edition ws published. The jokes were still fresh while the characters were familiar. not an ourstanding book, but entertaining enough.
Still contradictory and jumpily written, although the idea behind the plot was fantastic. Hugely enjoyable and readable --- I read this book and its predecessor on the same day. [Read twice]
I like that this book makes a lot more use of Jon-Tom's spellsinging than the first two did. It's one of the most interesting elements of the series.
Somehow I was able to predict part of the ending. I like some of the new characters introduced.
read this series in high school. I'm sure I liked it much more then than I would now.
Incredibly enjoyable. Not as grand as the last two, but none the less a good time.
Read these repeatedly when I was a kid.
Ari added it
Oct 06, 2015
Blue Rose
Blue Rose marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Daryl added it
Sep 29, 2015
  • The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • Riddle of the Seven Realms (Magics, #3)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1)
  • Perseus Spur: An Adventure of The Rampart Worlds
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • The Green Odyssey
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • Dragon Fantastic
  • Race Against Time
  • High Justice
  • The Wizard Of Linn
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • The Silver Crown (Guardians of the Flame, #3)
  • Ancient My Enemy
  • Unicorn Variations
  • The Wizard of Whitechapel (Wizard, #2)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Spellsinger (8 books)
  • Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1)
  • The Hour of the Gate (Spellsinger, #2)
  • The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)
  • The Paths of the Perambulator (Spellsinger, #5)
  • The Time of the Transference (Spellsinger, #6)
  • Son of Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #7)
  • Chorus Skating (Spellsinger, #8)
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx Adventures, #2) Aliens