Start by marking “Not Like I'm Jealous or Anything: The Jealousy Book” as Want to Read:
Not Like I'm Jealous or Anything: The Jealousy Book

Not Like I'm Jealous or Anything: The Jealousy Book (Ruby Oliver 0.5)

We’ve all been there. We’ve all felt that pang. It’s hard to stop the “green-eyed monster” once it rears its ugly head. We asked 13 writers to share their visions of jealousy and this collection of short stories, essays, and one poem was their response.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published December 18th 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Not Like I'm Jealous or Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Like I'm Jealous or Anything

21 Proms by David LevithanLet It Snow by Maureen JohnsonSixteen by Megan McCaffertyFriends by Ann M. MartinGeektastic by Holly Black
Best Teen Short Stories
25th out of 25 books — 34 voters
Geektastic by Holly BlackThe Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. RowlingLet It Snow by Maureen JohnsonHow They Met, and Other Stories by David LevithanBeware the Little White Rabbit by Shannon Delany
YA Short Stories & Collections
250th out of 309 books — 153 voters

More lists with this book...

Virginia Megson
Aug 31, 2013 Virginia Megson rated it it was ok
I chose this book as I had looked up the best short stories for teenagers and it had came up with this novel. The cover and the blurb also interested me so i decided to read this novel. This book therefore ticks the category of short stories.

This book has 14 short stories in it- all about jealous tales such as having a new sibling or losing your car. This novel includes stories about boyfriends, school and friends so you can relate to some of the tales.

My favourite story was about Irina who was
Kim
Aug 15, 2007 Kim rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teens
Advice? Read the boyfriend list book first. XD
Ciara H.
May 15, 2012 Ciara H. rated it did not like it
To be honest I can’t really say I enjoyed this so called relatable book. With jealousy as it’s theme I was hoping to gain some insight and possibly learn something to help my own personal problems that I have had. Throughout the novel there are collections of short stories, essays, and a poem from thirteen different writers and there experiences with jealousy Ranging in character from wistful to silly, these selections expose many different shades of green. The only virtue I can give this book ...more
Rainey
May 20, 2014 Rainey rated it really liked it
*I only read the Ruby Oliver story from this collection.

Ruby Oliver is a realistic teen character who is easy to relate to. She deals with insecurities, peer pressure, and difficult relationships. But in addition to that, her stories are comical, and she deals with them with an open mind. I loved this short story and can't wait to read The Boyfriend List.
Brad
Aug 11, 2015 Brad marked it as dnf-partial-read
Shelves: young-adult
Checked it out to read Ned Vizzini's story. Paired with Marty Beckerman's story "Why I'm Jealous of Ned Vizzini," they make for a mildly entertaining 20 pages that mostly come off as them trying to make the other laugh.

The other stories I read (the first half or so of the book) were perfectly fine. Strangely, the book sloppily sets up an expectation of being juvenile in content on its back cover, in its introduction and with its opening story. Even the font and spacing choices seem aimed to appe
Rebekah
Jul 16, 2014 Rebekah rated it liked it
Weird anthology. Some stories were great; some really had no place in this. (Really, Marty Beckerman? Tween girls are reading this.)
Anthony Faber
May 12, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it liked it
Essays & stories by young authors. A few were pretty good, but most were middle of the road teen romance things.
Susan
Mar 24, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
There were a couple of short stories that I really enjoyed and a couple that I didn't like at all. I did like She's Mine and 50%.
Sara
Jun 27, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
Short stories from various authors centered around a jealously theme. Some are better than others, but most are pretty entertaining. The extra material in the back - lists of movies and songs, etc., that deal with jealousy - is cheesy filler, but that can be skipped.
Kathy
Jun 01, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it
I'm having a hard time thinking of the age range of child this would appeal to. The 1st story is about a whiney 10-yr-old jealous of others' birthday parties, yet other stories are about jealous teens (jealous of relationships, cars, riches, etc).
TheSaint
Oct 21, 2008 TheSaint rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Each of these 13 stories explore the effects of the green-eyed monster. Roo is jealous of her classmates' baking talent, Irina is jealous of her baby sister, and two twenty-something professional writers are pissily jealous of one another.
Jessica Bang
Jul 05, 2013 Jessica Bang rated it it was ok
Almost 3 stars.

Some stories were more entertaining than others. The thing I didn't like about the short stories in general were that most of them seemed underdeveloped. I did like the extras at the end of the book though.
Darlene Mercado
Feb 25, 2011 Darlene Mercado rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This book made me laugh til I cried. Why? Because it's true. That little green monster that is jealousy is in all of us in one way or another. If you think you're not a jealous person think again and try this book out.
Kelly
Mar 17, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
Definitely for a younger audience...but good reminders.
Angie Cain
Angie Cain marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Jagoda
Jagoda marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Karthic Keyan
Karthic Keyan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Ru
Ru marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Michelle Torgrimson
Michelle Torgrimson marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Bequi
Bequi marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
junko Taylor
junko Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Lydia Haulman
Lydia Haulman marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Sarah B.
Sarah B. marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Stina
Stina marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Briney
Briney marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
  • Athena's Daughters, Vol. 1
  • Year's Best SF 14
  • Off Limits: Tales of Alien Sex
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Wild Space, Vol. 1
  • Mister October, Volume I - An Anthology in Memory of Rick Hautala
  • Best New Horror 24 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #24)
  • Ghosts: Recent Hauntings
  • Acolytes of Cthulhu
  • Four Letter Word: Invented Correspondence from the Edge of Modern Romance
  • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe

Ruby Oliver (4 books)
  • The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)
  • The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver, #2)
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4)