Start by marking “The Complete Alien Omnibus” as Want to Read:
The Complete Alien Omnibus

The Complete Alien Omnibus (Alien #1-3)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An omnibus edition of Alan Dean Foster's 'Alien'.
Published December 1st 2004 by Time Warner Trade Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Alien Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Alien Omnibus

Dinuka Fernando
I'm a huge fan of the Alien franchise and since I've watched all the movies several times over I didn't really feel like reading this book. However fate would have it that I borrow this book from a friend and get into it and boy am I ever glad I did.
This trilogy is heaps better than the movies because it goes into details that probably wouldn't have worked on screen. If you're a fan of the franchise pick this up now, if not this is still a very decent read and comes highly recommended.
The Literary Bystander (nxlee)

Okay this is a going to be a completely short review because I generally don't have much to say about this book. All I'm saying is that I definitely prefer the movie to it, and I am not just referring to Alien, I mean the whole three "books" that are contained in this volume.

I think that because I felt the movie versions were a far more superior and effective medium, the books kind of fell flat in pretty much everything. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Alan Dean Foster's writing (I th
Dan S
I don't know what got me into these books, but there is an Expanded Universe (15 novels expanding upon the four movies) encompassing many events concerning these vulgar and terrifying creatures that has motivated me to buy as many of the novels as possible. The original trilogy (which you can buy as an omnibus or three separate books) is based on the screenplays of the films rather than the actual cinematic efforts. Proof of this includes the absence of the space jockey in the first novel - the ...more
Stephan Lindkvist
While not a bad book at all, I'd still recommend the films over this one any day. Maybe except for Alien3.
They are fairly well written, all of them, but there's also a lot of odd pieces. Like the Alien and the facehugger from the first novel/film having a visible big eye.
If you've enjoyed the films, then please, by all means read this, but don't expect it to be better, just different.
Rory
A book which has caused me to say I really liked Alien 3, when I get confused between the novelisation and the film. A lot goes on in the book that left me disappointed when I finally saw the film (I actually read this omnibus when I was 13 or 14, before I saw any of the films). I still get confused though. The pictures this book created in my mind were very vivid

Someone else in these reviews described it as "the directors cut" of the films. That's an excellent way of putting it.
Bookbear
Great read, written in a good style, very close to the movies. Interesting enough, I like the third book a lot better than the third movie, which tells me, it's not the story that bugs me, it's the filming. I always have a hard time with the third movie.
Robert Day
Alien, Aliens and Alien3; the original trilogy of movies rendered into words. Just as scary, just as exciting, just as visceral and just the kind of thing that made us want more and more of these cute, cuddly aliens. Excellence in print.
Toby
Alan Dean Foster's novelisation of the first three movies is brilliant. You wouldn't expect much, but he slips in the kind of extraneous details that film is never able to express.
Dave
Not bad for a novelisation. Great for long trips as it's quite a thick book.
nooker
Essentially the directors cuts of the movies. Well written.
Lauren
I know, I know. But they were actually pretty good.
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Matthias
Matthias marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Kristina
Kristina is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2014
Robert Mullin
Robert Mullin marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Rachel Diaper
Rachel Diaper marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Sep 26, 2014
Przemyslaw
Przemyslaw marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Catherine Browne
Catherine Browne marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Justus
Justus marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Favourite Alien? 1 5 Aug 01, 2008 05:18PM
  • Alien: Resurrection
  • Blood-C, Vol. 01 (Blood-C, #1)
  • Aliens: The Female War
  • Whirlwind (The X-Files)
  • Aliens: Labyrinth
  • Predator: Cold War
  • Before the Dawn (Dark Angel, #1)
  • Alien
  • Far Beyond the Stars
  • Hunter's Planet (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 2)
  • White Devils
  • Hell Ship
  • The Best and the Brightest
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness
  • The First Virtue (Star Trek: Double Helix, #6)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • The Way of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)