Start by marking “The Man Who Used the Universe” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Used the Universe

The Man Who Used the Universe

No one knows the true motives of Kees vaan Loo-Macklin. He's a mastermind criminal who gave up his place at the head of the dark underworld to become a legitimate member of Evenwaith's cities. But soon he was reaching out to powerful enemies--the slimy aliens called the Nuel. Loo-Macklin negotiates an illusory peace agreement and gains precious alien secrets in the ...more
Published December 19th 1999 by Wildside Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Used the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Used the Universe

Ninja
Feb 06, 2015 Ninja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I first read this book maybe 20 years ago. Accidentally started reading it again when trying to determine if it was the book I recalled, but I recalled so little I had to read a hell of a lot of pages before I became convinced.
Cracker of a story, still highly readable.
Brett
Mar 22, 2012 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know this isn't anything like great literature, but I guess it speaks to me. It's probably the book I've read more times than any other, just because I never get tired of the twists and turns. I also love the idea, as outrageous as it is, that one man is able to reinvent himself and manipulate people and events to such an extent.
Chuk
I read this book many years ago and still remember parts of it fondly. The social rankings and the weird aliens were interesting and it had a tricky plot.
Clark Hallman
Sep 21, 2016 Clark Hallman rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Man Who Used The Universe by Alan Dean Foster: This book is a science fiction novel about a human civilization that has spread over a group of planets and their antagonistic relationship with the slimy Nuel aliens who reside on another group of planets. Their xenophobic struggles with each other provide lots of intrigue, tension and violence. Just when the situation seems to be improving, another predator species mounts an attack that appears to be catastrophic. The book is populated by ...more
Morris Nelms
Sep 06, 2013 Morris Nelms rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've read it twice. It is a unique book. While it seems to be science fiction on the surface, it is much more than that. It is worth reading for the final sentence--Foster comes up with a brilliant 'punch line' to end the story.
Interesting is an overused word, but it is the correct word to describe this book, along with fascinating, provocative, etc. (All the buzz words too often used to describe books that make you think!).
Loved it the first time and I loved it more the second time. Don't mis
Brian White
Jun 29, 2016 Brian White rated it really liked it
Over the years I have come to enjoy Alan Dean Foster's books for their fast pace and action. This book was much more complex in plot. I really wasn't sure what the end game was until the final pages. Although his writing is not the stuff of high literature, I found this book to be an exciting ride!
Gary Noel
I normally love anything written by ADF, so I don't know why I thought this one was just okay. I've been reading his books since the late 70's, both originals and adaptations.

About halfway through the book, I started checking to see how much longer the book was (not a good sign). It wasn't a bad story, maybe just not enough to fill a book (might have been a great novella).
Oztinhix
Mar 29, 2014 Oztinhix rated it really liked it
This is a story where Dune meets Wall Street. A classic battle for money and power...all in deep space. What more could you ask for?
John Patrick Boyce
Excellent book

Great character Mr Foster delivers again. First rate story well told. Keeps you guessing until the end. A great read
PSXtreme
Jul 05, 2013 PSXtreme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent Sci-Fi Adventure. Pick this one up at the next opportunity. This one will keep you guessing until the final page is turned.
Mike S
Aug 24, 2016 Mike S rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
Foster writes very imaginative stories, and he is exceptionally good at developing characters. This story is no exception.
Erik Graff
Mar 12, 2011 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Foster fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I read this forgettable science fiction novel during an excessive science fiction binge during the summer of 1998.
Jim Leesch
Aug 03, 2016 Jim Leesch rated it really liked it
A classic character study. The inscrutable Loo Macklin provides an excellent mystery as the reader attempts to understand his motives and obsessions. This is proper hard-boiled sci-fi.
Brown Eyed Catalyst
Brown Eyed Catalyst rated it liked it
May 04, 2012
Geekdad
Geekdad rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2012
Larry Head
Larry Head rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2009
Jeremy Pallant
Jeremy Pallant rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Dale
Dale rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Alyson
Alyson rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Jeff Olson
Jeff Olson rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2010
Helcarexe
Helcarexe rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Vincent Lerins
Vincent Lerins rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Brett Thomasson
Brett Thomasson rated it it was ok
May 21, 2015
Aaron Mudge
Aaron Mudge rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2008
Shawn Giton
Shawn Giton rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Neal
Neal rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Samfish9999
Samfish9999 rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Gordon Watts
Gordon Watts rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Sean Smith
Sean Smith rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
  • City of a Thousand Suns
  • The Alien Way
  • Maeve
  • Is Anyone There? Speculative Essays on the Known and Unknown
  • Supermind
  • Sea Siege
  • The Dragon Masters
  • The Wolf Worlds (Sten, #2)
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...