Start by marking “Aliens” as Want to Read:
Aliens

Aliens (Alien #2)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  2,505 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Having survived one encounter with an alien, Ripley is persuaded to return to the planet where her crew found the alien ship. A colony has been established there, but suddenly all contact with the settlers has been lost. Accompanied by marines, Ripley is going to find out why.
Published June 1st 1986 by Warner Books Inc (Mm) (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Aliens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aliens

Hollowman
Read this one few weeks before seeing the film ... in '86. Foster says it's his fave write of the three he did for the trilogy. Probably agree ... he had gotten good experience and momentum from his 70s/early 80s projects ... so was in the sweet-spot/golden-age of his career.

Clear, no-bullshit, super-fluid writing style--not dragged out or over-long ... can be read in a few hours. But not dumbed down for the movie-only crowd.

It has some of Cameron's Director Cut version scenes. Shares Cameron's
Andrea
Aliens is my favourite movie. The series itself is what I think of as 'accidentally feminist' (the role of Ripley was written for a man) and when Alien proved a success, the script for a main female character immediately took us to a motherhood plot.

But still, I really like this movie, and when someone mentioned this novelisation, written from an early draft of the script, I couldn't resist.

Hard to imagine I'd be spoiling anyone here, but if you somehow haven't yet seen Aliens, stop reading, go
Jules G
I don't remember the first time I read this book or when I purchased it, but it's one of those novels that you hold onto from childhood and the teenage years. The cover is lost along with the summary page, but it still retains the title page. Like a worn stuffed animal, the tattered and well-read remains will never come off my shelf. If you have a similar book on your shelf, perhaps you'll understand my review is a bit sentimental.

I saw the movie when I was a kid. Of course, it was edited and on
Patrick Kozlowski
The book I read was Aliens by Alan Dean Foster. This novel was a moderate size, 247 pages. This is a sequel to the original book Alien. It follows after the events of the first book. The character, Ellen Ripley ends up going back to the unknown planet from the first book for multiple reasons. This was a great sequel that surpassed the first book.
The book had a good variety of characters, so you couldn’t forget them throughout the storyline. You have the marines who each have their own personalit
Anjali
I've been a fan of the Alien series of films for a long time, though this is the first time I've read a book based on the series.

I enjoyed reading this book because it does something that I find most tie-in books do - it added something extra to the story with little snippets of information that wasn't in the film.

However, I knocked a star off my rating for two reasons:

1. I found the sanitisation of the language - the removal of the swearing - particularly grating; especially the removal of 'b**
Flint
I can't highly recommend this book enough for those of you who can't get enough of the 1986 movie. The novelization contains all sorts of goodies like extra dialogue, alternate scenes (ie. Burke cocooned) and extended scenes, as well as an overall better insight into some of the characters and better explanations for various little things which was skimmed over in the film, especially why Newt is able to navigate the air ducts so expertly or why she calls Riply, "mommy" at the end. This is basic ...more
Anadyr21
If you've seen the movie, you already know it's a great story. Generally, books are much better, and offer more insight, than the movie that it's adapted from. This book might be an exception, only because the extended edition of the movie adds the stuff that's already in the books.

As a whole, it does offer a bit more on each Marine, who in the movie, we barely catch their name. I actually wish the author would have gone more overboard into each character, though, I understand that it would have
Jay
After I read this book, I "wrote the game" as a graphical-text based adventure. Another 300 hours of programming I'll never get back.
Robdemanc
When I saw this book in a local bookshop back in the early months of 1986 I had no idea a new film had been made so I snatched it up and read it straight away.

As I had only seen the first film and knew how creepy it was I took all of that into this book. The experience of reading this before seeing the action epic James Cameron put on screen made me imagine a more creepy film. I kept wondering how on Earth they were going to pull it off. As it turned out, although I have come to appreciate the f
Jevron McCrory

He could allow the action sometimes to speak for itself and get a little wilder (especially when the marines are first swarmed under the atmosphere processor on LV-426) but overall, this is a VERY seasoned,
Donovan
Having loved Alien, it was a definite given that I would watch and read Aliens. While it is not necessary to have read Alien to enjoy this novel, it is recommended. This sequel has been written by Alan Dean Foster (Author of the original Alien) and like all his work, he has done an exceptional job at capturing the essence of the story. This novel is much more action oriented than the first and it is refreshing that it is not more-of-the-same as some sequels are. It has a nice pace and again has ...more
Joe Tucc
Aliens by Alan Dean Foster was a great book. Reading about Ripley’s experiences on the planet Acheron was truly amazing. As she and the military squadron she is with encounter many problems, regarding the alien race they meet on a distant planet Acheron, gave me a feeling of excitement. The plot had highly interested me. Events in the book happened quickly, it was hard to put this book down. For example, as soon as the main character Ripley had been convinced to return to the planet she first en ...more
Ana Mardoll
Aliens (Film Novelization) / 0-446-30139-6

In as much as a film novelization is a fleshing out of a favorite film (not unlike the "deleted scenes" we get today in DVDs), "Aliens" is a complete success. Ripley's internal thoughts and feelings are explored in detail, and we come to understand better why she was willing to go on this mission to face her nightmares, how she felt about the marines she travels with, and her own evolving feelings of fear, determination, and protectiveness throughout the
Hunter Norton
Firstly, before I start i'd like to say that this review is on the movie "Aliens vs Predator" and this was the closest match I could find so I apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused if there is any to the fellow readers:
Question 1: Who is my favourite character and why?
Without a doubt my most favourite character is the "Predator". Several reasons persuaded me to choose him and were vital in influencing my decision. Now I know what you are probably thinking, "which predator?" as there
Kain
I'm a huge fan of the Aliens franchise and despite having watched the movie often enough to quote the script verbatim, I picked this novel up to give it a read. While it remains fairly faithful to the movie and expands upon some interesting points, the author's apparent aversion to swear words made many of the iconic lines from the movie fall flat and left me far less thrilled than the cinematic version.
Megan
holy smokes that was wonderful. aliens is one of my all time favorite movies, and in the book getting a little extra back story made it even more awesome. I am super happy that even though the book was written after the movie, it didn't mess with the story. I could definitely add this to my tiny list of books to reread!
J K
Of course I have at least two copies of this. Alan Dean Foster continues to make the Aliens books some of the greatest adaptations of a film series ever. It was also the only way I got hold of the Special Edition scenes before Sky showed it and before the internet was properly available.
Beau Johnston
An easy read for a familiar story (I've watched the movie dozens of times - it's my favorite of the ALIENS franchise).

It's nice to read a story where common-sense trumps brawn.
Stu
What do I say.....read this to shreds growing up, bought the ebook for 6 bucks, still love it. If you like the movie, you'll like this
Jevron McCrory
Alan Dean Foster's prose is rather heavy but for an Alien fan boy, his attention to detail is welcomed with open arms. He beautifully reworked all three Alien scripts with meticulous detail for three separate novelizations, never allowing creative flights of fancy to mess with the Alien canon.

Binny Bond
Again a book based on a movie just doesn't have the depth that an original novel has. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it most gripping in all the right places.
They messed up Ripley's "Get away from her you bitch" line.
Also the Alien descriptions were a little thin. You need to have seen the movie.
Cliff Sinn
Just finished reading. Really enjoy reading all of the book version from the movies. I've watched these movies several times so a quick read.
Ron Johnson
Apr 16, 2014 Ron Johnson marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
x
Sam
Another good movie tie-in to the Alien franchise, this one flows a bit more than the first and keeps pace with the action from the movie although again there are bits that are a little repetitive but as the story flows better this isn't quite as noticeable as it was in the first book. Despite this though it is still an enjoyable read that keeps to the original film well and will appeal to film fans and sci/fi horror fans alike.
Kristen
Nov 02, 2008 Kristen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers
I read this book shortly after seeing the movie for the first time, and it is as riveting as a novel based on the movie can get! I remember actually jumping out of my seat at one point while reading the book, and I had already seen the movie. It's a great way to revisit the plot of Aliens and consider the back story of the characters.
J.M.
This is my favorite book/movie in the series. I feel Ripley really begins to come into her own as a worthy adversary here, and the additional aliens really adds to the storyline. I also enjoyed the military presence, particularly the interaction between Vasquez and Hudson. Very good blend of sci-fi and horror.
Holly Oyster
This was an entertaining read, but since I know the movie so well I could practically write the novelization myself, it was a bit frustrating. However, it was enjoyable to read an author's take on the story, and get some of the inside motivations of Ripley and the other characters.
Eric
Pretty much the same review as the first book. Since I saw the movie first I couldn't help but hear the best lines in the actors voice.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
new radio show Alien Chronicles:Fact or Fiction 1 4 Apr 03, 2013 09:28PM
scary? 2 7 Nov 03, 2012 03:13AM
  • Aliens: Earth Hive
  • Alien: Resurrection
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • Genocide (Aliens)
  • War (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 3)
  • Total Recall
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Aliens: Alien Harvest
  • Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth
  • Aliens - Music of the Spears (Aliens, #6)
  • Star Wars, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (Star Wars, #6)
  • Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope (Star Wars, #4)
  • Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars, #5)
  • Whirlwind (The X-Files)
  • First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Predator: Concrete Jungle
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)

“Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." (Ellen Ripley)” 4 likes