Start by marking “The Shadow Boxer” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Boxer

The Shadow Boxer

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This is the story of Sevigne Torrins, poet and boxer, who sets out to make it in the world but whose sexual and professional misadventures take him from a demanding, muscular boyhood on the shores of Lake Superior to the trendy, bohemian life of Toronto and even to Egypt.
In the tradition of such classics as LOOK HOMEWARD, ANGEL and JUDE THE OBSCURE, THE SHADOW BOXER is th
Published February 25th 2002 by Mariner Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Boxer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Boxer

Jonathan Briggs
Boats, books and boxing. Steven Heighton's debut combines three of my favorite things. How could it miss?! Young Sevigne Torrins comes from a line of pugilist sailormen, self-taught intellectuals with a love for the Sweet Science (that's punching people in the face). He grows up on the Canadian side of Lake Superior -- the Soo -- boxing and playing literary "name that reference" games with his Hemingway-esque father. After Torrins Sr.'s boozing splits the family apart, Sevigne stays with his dad ...more
Daniel Kukwa
An excellent book, but it's weighted down by an oppressive tone that makes it very difficult to love. Its bleakness is authentic, but relentless. A well realized cast of characters helps to keep it from being crushed under the weight of its own cynicism.
Allana
I read this a few years ago and fell in love with the writing almost immediately, though it took a little longer to get into the plot. The language more than made up for my slow start though - it was delicious and lyrical, and I wanted to savour every single word. Then, as I got to know the characters I was totally hooked. By the end of the book I was struggling to slow down & continue to take in every line, and not to speed ahead to find out what was going to happen to the main character, S ...more
orsodimondo
BLUES PER IL BOXEUR SCRITTORE
È la storia di una lunga iniziazione alla vita, secondo il vecchio modello dei padri drammaticamente sovrapposto alle nuove regole che il mondo moderno ci impone.

I Grandi laghi fra Canada e Stati Uniti, il perimetro d’acqua, ghiacci e bufere in cui si formò la prima vera scintilla della letteratura americana che diede fuoco all’ultimo dei Mohicani. La terra contesa ai coloni francesi dalle truppe di Sua Maestà Britannica. Il regno dei cacciatori di pellicce e degli i
Maya Thau-eleff
This is still one of my most beloved books! Heighton's stories are masterfully woven together; I found myself completely immersed in the world of both father and son.
Nancy
An interesting read - certainly a book about a life journey. The story starts on the shores of Lake Superior, which I liked. Interesting range of relationships and characters in this book.

I liked this book.
Fiona
Insight into the past and present mind of a would-be Romantic poet. At times very dark and emotionally upsetting.
Marianne Girard
Read the first chapter and, not for me.
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Lindsay Erin
Lindsay Erin marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Lori Mac
Lori Mac marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Shirley Moulton
Shirley Moulton marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Karla Watson
Karla Watson marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Mortalform
Mortalform marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Vania
Vania marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
201550
Steven Heighton (born August 14, 1961) is a Canadian novelist, short story writer and poet. He is the author of ten books, including two short story collections, three novels, and five poetry collections.[1] His most recent novel, Every Lost Country, was published in 2010.

Heighton was born in Toronto, Ontario, and earned a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degree, at Queens University.[2]

Heighto
More about Steven Heighton...
Every Lost Country Afterlands The Dead Are More Visible Flight Paths of the Emperor Workbook: Memos & Dispatches on Writing