Start by marking “The Shadow Boxer” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Boxer

The Shadow Boxer

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This is the story of Sevigne Torrins, poet and boxer, who sets out to make it in the world but whose sexual and professional misadventures take him from a demanding, muscular boyhood on the shores of Lake Superior to the trendy, bohemian life of Toronto and even to Egypt.
In the tradition of such classics as LOOK HOMEWARD, ANGEL and JUDE THE OBSCURE, THE SHADOW BOXER is th
Published February 25th 2002 by Mariner Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Boxer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Boxer

Jonathan Briggs
Apr 19, 2012 Jonathan Briggs rated it liked it
Boats, books and boxing. Steven Heighton's debut combines three of my favorite things. How could it miss?! Young Sevigne Torrins comes from a line of pugilist sailormen, self-taught intellectuals with a love for the Sweet Science (that's punching people in the face). He grows up on the Canadian side of Lake Superior -- the Soo -- boxing and playing literary "name that reference" games with his Hemingway-esque father. After Torrins Sr.'s boozing splits the family apart, Sevigne stays with his dad ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 18, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian-lit
An excellent book, but it's weighted down by an oppressive tone that makes it very difficult to love. Its bleakness is authentic, but relentless. A well realized cast of characters helps to keep it from being crushed under the weight of its own cynicism.
Allana
Feb 21, 2012 Allana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
I read this a few years ago and fell in love with the writing almost immediately, though it took a little longer to get into the plot. The language more than made up for my slow start though - it was delicious and lyrical, and I wanted to savour every single word. Then, as I got to know the characters I was totally hooked. By the end of the book I was struggling to slow down & continue to take in every line, and not to speed ahead to find out what was going to happen to the main character, S ...more
Tuck
pretty cool, a romantic boxer's life before during after his fighting days, his loving days. debut novel by this canadian author.
orsodimondo
Nov 23, 2012 orsodimondo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canada
BLUES PER IL BOXEUR SCRITTORE
È la storia di una lunga iniziazione alla vita, secondo il vecchio modello dei padri drammaticamente sovrapposto alle nuove regole che il mondo moderno ci impone.

I Grandi laghi fra Canada e Stati Uniti, il perimetro d’acqua, ghiacci e bufere in cui si formò la prima vera scintilla della letteratura americana che diede fuoco all’ultimo dei Mohicani. La terra contesa ai coloni francesi dalle truppe di Sua Maestà Britannica. Il regno dei cacciatori di pellicce e degli i
Nancy
Nov 30, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian-authors
An interesting read - certainly a book about a life journey. The story starts on the shores of Lake Superior, which I liked. Interesting range of relationships and characters in this book.

I liked this book.
Maya Thau-eleff
Mar 20, 2015 Maya Thau-eleff rated it it was amazing
This is still one of my most beloved books! Heighton's stories are masterfully woven together; I found myself completely immersed in the world of both father and son.
Fiona
Aug 06, 2011 Fiona rated it really liked it
Insight into the past and present mind of a would-be Romantic poet. At times very dark and emotionally upsetting.
Marianne Girard
Nov 25, 2012 Marianne Girard rated it did not like it
Read the first chapter and, not for me.
Anita
May 25, 2010 Anita rated it it was ok
Almost.
Kim Evans
Kim Evans marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
sysh
sysh marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Danc
Danc added it
Jan 16, 2016
Shawn Mohan
Shawn Mohan rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Jj Steeves
Jj Steeves rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Anjo Gilhang
Anjo Gilhang marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Kirby
Kirby marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Aaron M
Aaron M rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Iain Murray
Iain Murray rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Shawn Merker
Shawn Merker rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
201550
Steven Heighton (born August 14, 1961) is a Canadian novelist, short story writer and poet. He is the author of ten books, including two short story collections, three novels, and five poetry collections.[1] His most recent novel, Every Lost Country, was published in 2010.

Heighton was born in Toronto, Ontario, and earned a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degree, at Queens University.[2]

Heighto
More about Steven Heighton...