Start by marking “The Three Legged Cat (Picture Puffin S.)” as Want to Read:
The Three Legged Cat (Picture Puffin S.)

The Three Legged Cat (Picture Puffin S.)

Paperback
Published October 27th 1994 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Legged Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Legged Cat

Mary Parker
Dec 04, 2016 Mary Parker rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun, light-hearted story that is perfect for the child who loves adventures! It begins with a woman complaining about her three legged cat, who simply wants to travel around the world. When her brother comes to visit, he may confuse his furry hat with the curled up sleeping cat...
Lindsay Fischer
Sep 21, 2014 Lindsay Fischer rated it it was ok
Tom the tabby cat dreamed of seeing the world, but he had only three legs. Mrs. Gimble was a boring widow that wished Tom would just sit still. Mrs. Gimble's brother Danny loves to travel the world, but his trusty hat is getting old and it isn't as warm. It is only by chance that all three get their wishes. Danny mistakes a sleeping Tom for his fuzzy hat and takes off to travel the world. His new "hat" is very warm and Mrs. Gimble's new "cat" is very still. Tom finally gets to see the world. Th ...more
Catherine Mayo
May 31, 2013 Catherine Mayo rated it it was amazing
“There was once an old tabby cat called Tom who longed to prowl around the world … But Tom was a three-legged cat. Prowling was difficult with only three legs.” So begins one of the most stunning of a vast collection of stunning books by Margaret Mahy, full of humour, word play and whimsy in equal measure.

Tom is an instant hero for young children, through his thwarted dreams of travel and adventure, his wooden leg and his endearing cat skills – sleeping and eating. He lives with Mrs Gimble of Nu
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, hats, travel, disabilites
Tom is a three-legged cat who has a roaming spirit, but can't take to the road because of his physical limitation. He lives with Mrs. Gimble who doesn't approve of roaming at all and wishes her cat would just curl up and sleep and not eat so much. Mrs. Gimble has a roaming brother named Danny who wanders around with a tattered, molting Russian hat. He visits once a year and after this last visit he grabs a sleeping Tom instead of his hat. So, Tom gets to roam with Danny and Mrs. Gimble has a hat ...more
Donna
Feb 27, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
Tom dreams of roaming the wide world-tricky for a three legged cat. Mrs. Gimble dreams of a cat that doesn't want to roam or eat her out ofn house and home-unlike her fat cat Tom. Danny dreams of keeping his head cozy-warm on his last around the world jaunt-not likely when all he has us a revolting, molting hat. But when that orange hat looks remarkably like a napping cat, strange things scan happen and dreams can come true.

Tom finds himself traveling the wide world on the head of Danny and fulf
Joenna
Feb 04, 2008 Joenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler, preschool
When I saw the title, I just had to give it a try. A story of a cat who has only 3 legs, and a stump for the 4th. The cat wishes to see the world, but cannot because of his legs. The cat lives with a woman who has a nomad brother. One day, the brother came to visit, and when he left, accidentally put the cat on his head instead of his furry hat. The cat was able to see the world just like he wanted to.
Beverly
Nov 20, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing
I learned about this book in a Jane Lindskold blog. Glad I did. My 3 & 1/2 year old swore he didn't want to read a book, but I started anyway. Soon he was in my lap. He asked me to read it again later.
Bethany
This book was very entertaining and had me laughing when Lillian read it aloud. Predictable because of the pictures.
Müge
Jun 16, 2016 Müge rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bambino
Truly one of the most outstanding children's books I've ever read with gorgeous illustrating. I suppose it's my favourite. I absolutely love it. Too bad it's difficult to get copy these days.
Kendall
Sep 03, 2012 Kendall rated it liked it
Very funny book... thoroughly enjoyable and light-hearted.
NATUI
Sep 04, 2010 NATUI rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
This is a thrift store find that was a FIND. We love this book nearly more than any other we own. It's a great read aloud book, the characters are great, and it gave us a great catch phrase!
Becky
Jan 10, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
I can faintly recall teachers reading this to us and I loved it!!! Wasn't there a Christmas version too?! Or am I going mad?
Nancy
Weston Woods streaming video on READS.
Zoe
Zoe rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Simone Colwill
Simone Colwill rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Sabrina Kaleta
Sabrina Kaleta rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Limeminearia
Limeminearia rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2012
Jake
Jake rated it liked it
May 24, 2014
Hope Gunther
Hope Gunther rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Sally
Sally rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Shelli
Shelli rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2008
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2010
Jody
Jody rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2009
Hanneke
Hanneke rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2010
Brittnie
Brittnie rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Margaret Mahy was a well-known New Zealand author of children's and young adult books. While the plots of many of her books have strong supernatural elements, her writing concentrates on the themes of human relationships and growing up.

Her books The Haunting and The Changeover: A Supernatural Romance both received the Carnegie Medal of the British Library Association. There have 100 children's boo
More about Margaret Mahy...