Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Vampires” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Vampires

The Mammoth Book of Vampires

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  324 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Award-winning horror editor Stephen Jones presents thirty-six modern masters of the macabre. Among them are: Harlan Ellison, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Paul McAuley, Peter Tremayne, Steve Rasnic Tem, and Ramsey Campbell.

This anthology collects the very best in vampire fiction which blends sheer horror with dark humor, deadly tenderness with tingling terror. For the classic vamp
Published May 20th 2004 by Running Press (first published 1992)

Baby Teeth by Dan RabartsFresh Fear by William   CookRead the End First by Suzanne RobbZippered Flesh by Weldon BurgeDead Harvest by Mark Parker
Best Horror Anthologies
107th out of 350 books — 655 voters
Interview with the Vampire by Anne RiceVampire Academy by Richelle MeadDracula by Bram StokerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
The Ultimate List of Vampire Books
208th out of 606 books — 315 voters

More lists with this book...

Mandy
Jun 04, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Many well-known authors contributed short stories to this book. It's a great read. These are well and truly vampire stories, not the current vampire romances that are so popular. Fun to read!
Graham
Apr 22, 2010 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, anthology
And well does this anthology deserve its “mammoth” title! Another in a series of huge, themed compendiums from reliable editor Stephen Jones, this is an able mix of classic and contemporary vampire fiction.

It begins well with Clive Barker’s weird HUMAN REMAINS, about a rent boy haunted by a doppelganger. Fans of the author will know to expect the gruesome stuff in this one. Brian Lumley’s NECROS is less inspiring and more predictable, winning points for the craft evident in the author’s writing
Jan 21, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: para-vampires
Four stories really stood out from the crowd in this anthology:

* Necros by Brian Lumley
* Beyond Any Measure by Karl Edward Wagner
* The Better Half by Melanie Tem
* Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson

Each one had at least one twist to the vampire lore that I had never seen before and enjoyed immensely. Unfortunately, while those four stories were exceptional, the remaining 25 were not. While none of the stories were bad, they all seemed to lack something new or different. They failed at grabbing m
Lauren

A Place To Stay by Michael Marshall Smith

The Brood by Ramsey Campbell

Root Cellar by Nancy Kilpatrick

Hungarian Rhapsody by Robert Bloch

The Legend of Dracula Reconsidered as a Prime-Time TV Special by Christopher Fowler

Vampire by Richard Christian Matheson

Stragella by Hugh B. Cave

A Week In The Unlife by David J. Schow

The House At Evening by Francis Garfield

Vampyrrhic Outcast by Simon Clark

The L
Jamie
Dec 14, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
A pretty fair assortment of classic and (at the time) new tales of vampires.
I've highlighted the ones I've particularly liked. This includes:

A Week in the Unlife by David J. Schow
The House at Evening by Frances Garfield
Tim Williams
Feb 23, 2014 Tim Williams rated it really liked it
Like most anthologies it's some good, some bad. Quick highlights:
Clive Barker's story is good but very non-traditional as far as vampires go.
Richard Matheson's was more an experiment than a story and it offered me nothing short of 30 seconds to read it. Disappointing because I expect more from him.
Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite story-tellers. This story was, hmmm, a taste...? Short. Interesting. Well worked even if not what I was hoping for.
Brenda
Oct 01, 2015 Brenda rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I don't know if it's the year this came out or the writing that turned me off, but I read most of the first story before deciding that vampires would hate this book. ..
Elise
Apr 18, 2016 Elise rated it it was amazing
A fun fact: this was one of the first books I can ever really remember reading as a child, and it was one of the various vampire books I read when I was a kid that really cemented my love of vampires and the supernatural. My mum had the older copy (with the vampire lady on the cover) and I think I must have consumed all the stories a fair few times over by now. It's been quite a few years now since I re-read this collection and I'm thinking I will definitely need to do one soon.
Tiffany
Nov 07, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, hats off to these writers, because there were a LOT of scary vampires in this book! Some of the stories were of course better than others, and a few I just really could not get into, but this book definitely offered a wide range of vampirism, and I appreciated that most of all! Every story was different. Some of them even incorporated actual events and history into the stories, which added to it for me. I really enjoyed the majority of this collection.
Angela
Collection of short stories and novellas by Clive Barker, Les Daniels, Brian Lumley, F. Paul Wilson and oodles more. Especially notable for the many little-read or little-known stories such as "Dracula's Guest" by Bram Stoker or "Stragella" by Hugh B. Cave. The novella "Red Reign" by Kim Newman included in this collection was later expanded to a full-length novel and published under the title "Anno-Dracula."
Sketching Girl
I absoultely loved this collection of Vampire Stories, there's something for everyone, and amazingly, I loved them all. There were no "dud ones". I was very impressed. I have read this collection many times over, and will no doubt read them many times again in the future. A book I will not part with.
Adriana
Feb 09, 2011 Adriana rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I liked this collection way more than the Mammoth book of Zombies. "Midnight mass" and "Red Reign" were revelations, and I got the opportunity to revisit classics like "For the blood is the life" and "Ligeia". There are tales here that I will definitely read again in the near future.
Jim Townsend
Apr 26, 2016 Jim Townsend rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fangtastic anthology of vampire tales, both short stories and novellas, that shows the range and traditions of the vampire legend, although parts of it are pretty gross. Horror stories all, with little humor. Fans of horror fiction will like this.
Chere
Feb 07, 2012 Chere rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for vampire (and horror, in general) fans! I love vampires, so I have a bias giving this rating, but as far as vampire collections go, this one is a real keeper!
Kat (idangerous)
I read a few short stories in it. I wanted only one and I thought it was too short. Sadly...I wanted to know what happened next but there was nothing left lol.
Heather
Oct 19, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
A random mix of stories about vampires; some tradition and some very out there. Enjoyable and interesting.
Jennifer Giles
Sep 08, 2012 Jennifer Giles rated it really liked it
The book gave me a paper cut...like it wanted my blood...enough said.
Cathy
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy marked it as to-read
Waiting in the stacks
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Aderinn
Aderinn marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Nancy Anderson
Nancy Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Santiago Romero
Santiago Romero marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Khepra
Khepra added it
Apr 02, 2016
Gabriela Colorado
Gabriela Colorado marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
  • Dracula in London
  • The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories
  • Boys of the Bite: A Gay Vampire Anthology
  • The Golden
  • Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • Stars: Original Stories Based on the Songs of Janis Ian
  • Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction
  • Midnight Blue: Sonja Blue Collection
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.
More about Stephen Jones...