Start by marking “Time Management For Creative People” as Want to Read:
Time Management For Creative People

Read Book

Time Management For Creative People

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  259 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Delivering time management training and coaching for hundreds of creative people has taught a lot about what it takes to get original work done in the midst of the demands and distractions of the 21st century workplace.

It’s full of practical advice for creatives, including:

- Finding the method in your creative madness;
- Identifying and prioritising your most important work
Published 2007 by Wishful Thinking

To ask other readers questions about Time Management For Creative People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Management For Creative People

Huda Aweys
May 04, 2015 Huda Aweys rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help, business
كتاب خفيف باللغة الإنجليزية عن تنظيم الوقت ، .. رائع فعلا .. و محدد في نقاط .. منظم ، كمعظم كتب التنمية البشرية و مساعدة الذات المحددة ..المنظمة ، بلا اسهاب او تطويل من غير معنى . في البداية تناول الكتاب ، الجدول المشهور عن الأمور العاجلة و المهمة .. و اللي بينظم مهامنا و مسئولياتنا مابين مهام عاجلة و مهمة .. مهام عاجلة و غير مهمة .. مهام مهمة و غير عاجلة .. و مهام لا مهمة و لا عاجلة .. و وضح كيفية استخدامه بإيجاز غير مخل
description
حوى نصائح كمان عن كيفية عمل (سياج) .. او سور حوالين وقتنا (الإبداعى) اللى ب
James Cridland
Oct 24, 2010 James Cridland rated it liked it
The problem with these types of books is that they're always full of common sense, and you finish thinking "well, yeah, duh, I knew all that".

But that's the point, really. It's a decent book, and it's far more approachable than the David Allen books (indeed, this writer has managed to distill the GTD theory into less than 32 pages).

As a quick download and read, it's not a bad thing (though is a little small for my Kindle to cope with...)
Steve
Oct 20, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
For as short and concise as it is, Time Management for Creative People contains a wealth of information to help people focus and budget their time wisely. With references to other books and software to help manage time and tasks, this book is an outstanding, quick reference to those of us who are seriously time constrained. That seems to be most of us these days.

The downside to this book is that it's so short that it's really just kind of a quick overview of time management principles. That's no
Mostafa Abdullah
Sep 29, 2013 Mostafa Abdullah rated it liked it
Being very short, impressive and well-organized, this book discusses various subjects, yet they are well-related. It can help you avoid most of the annoying distractions you face through your day even though many of them are inevitable. It won't take up much of your time. On the other hand, the writer is kinda arguing for getting routine out of your life, yet after following up his tips, I think my life will turn out to be much more routine somehow.
After all, i liked this ebook and it deserves s
A.M.
Nov 19, 2014 A.M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
I have been doing Mark’s free online course The Creative Pathfinder and this week’s task was to read this book. http://lateralaction.com/pathfinder/ also free. Thanks, Mark!
I was two pages in - and he was talking about getting distracted - when I noticed the pile of receipts to the left of my screen - and promptly decided to enter them all into my bookkeeping program. Do I need this book? Damn right I do.
I have dabbled in a few creative things in my life, and I know that being organised saves me
Israa Ali
Sep 27, 2013 Israa Ali rated it really liked it
More than amazing ! Short and to the point .. It gives efficient solutions to get rid of certain daily interrupting problems like ' lack of focus .. Endless tasks ' and helps you improve your creative work , avoid all kinds of interruptions , and manage your time in order to work on your goals . I would have rated it '5 stars' if it had touched me as a student but anyway it's a very useful book and i completely enjoyed reading it !
Alexandra Mihai
Apr 17, 2013 Alexandra Mihai rated it liked it
It was interesting, even though I did not find out something new, but it's ok to read it as introduction if you have problems organizing your time.
Heba Ghandy
Feb 08, 2012 Heba Ghandy rated it liked it
It's Concise and quiet useful too :)

It contains many helpful advice.. I think i'll re-read it again when i got a job isA :))
Shayne
Nov 13, 2011 Shayne rated it really liked it
Short sweet and to the point. I consider myself well organized and as a mother of 5, running my own farm and active volunteer for my commuity I have to be. That said I often need a refreasher and this little book hit the mark. Most of the main points were ones that I had heard of before and read full length books on. For instance Coveys, habits series. I did like the refreasher course and appreciated the additional resources from the chapters. I would recomend this to anyone that is feeling bogg ...more
Andy
Feb 02, 2016 Andy rated it liked it
the interesting thing is how to understand the flow of creativity, which is often experienced during read this book. Study abroad to manage time with our creativity, that we have.
Brittany Marin
May 13, 2015 Brittany Marin rated it liked it
Short and to the point. Like most self-help books it's filled with a lot of common sense. It did a good job compiling and distilling information from a number of other resources.
Elaine
Jan 24, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
It's always a hassle managing your time beating the deadline and it's a more frustrating fact that creativity sometimes runs out just when you need it most.

Creativity, imagination and resourcefulness are the key factors in our job in the design field. The book gives tips on how to maximize your time and dividing it into multiple "mini" tasks that may help you achieve your daily goals.

Although it provides strategic tips to manage time, I still think it won't be 100% fit for any specific person.
Rosemary
Jun 24, 2014 Rosemary rated it liked it
Interesting and useful, but more of a reminder than a revelation. Most of the advice is just based on common sense.
ThatSo Rayan
Aug 06, 2015 ThatSo Rayan rated it it was amazing
very helpful book , i currently trying to apply all the info. about disciplining and arranging my stuff
Rebekah
Jan 27, 2015 Rebekah rated it liked it
Short and efficient, quick to read, with practical advice that I'm looking forward to putting into practice.
Kelsey
Apr 15, 2014 Kelsey rated it liked it
This was a quick read with some practical ideas on getting organized and making the day more productive. I plan on using some of the suggestions and think even some small changes will make a difference in my productivity.
Ahmad Elsagheer
Sep 25, 2013 Ahmad Elsagheer rated it really liked it
This realistic 32-paged book is very important and helpful for those who have many great things to do, but can not find enough time to balance their creative work and demands of everyday life and for those who have tried to make viable schedules but in vain like me. This book does not give you a fixed schedule or a strict way of life, but clarifies concepts and gives ideas and tips to organize your time and make the best use of it. If you realize the value of time, you will appreciate this book ...more
Dorilis
Dec 22, 2012 Dorilis rated it it was amazing
This is a great book in one of the following circumstances:

As an introduction to to Time/Project Management - The book is a quick read that gives you simple tips on Time Management, many of the things are as originally for longer books or workshops which he specifies so if you want to learn more about the subject you'll know where to get the information.

To compliment what you already know of Time/ Project Management - This quick read will refresh concept that you might have learned on other boo
Traci
Jan 25, 2013 Traci rated it liked it
This anxiety provoking little e-book takes very little time to read but provides some fairly easy to implement strategies to begin to manage time effectively. Although written for people in creative fields, those of us who are creative, but in non creative jobs can benefit as well. I felt like Mark McGuinness peeked in my windows and wrote about me. Hopefully I will begin to implement my own versions of what I read here. I liked that it was short and left room for me to decide what might be help ...more
Mirasol Quisto
Jun 11, 2013 Mirasol Quisto rated it it was amazing
It was short, simple and very straightforward. I liked the part where it briefly discussed the Important VS Urgent tasks and how you organize and properly approach them. I badly need this. I've read lots of books about Time Management since college but I still haven't perfectly done it yet.

Some say this book is purely common sense but come to think of it, it takes this kind of book for us to realize that it is also common sense to literally manage our time, problem is, it took us so long to fig
Deeelljay
Aug 25, 2011 Deeelljay rated it liked it
A great quick-read, quite a few useful techniques for both time management and motivation and organisation. I personally prefer shorter paragraphs, or dot points with less examples (and repetition), but I know a lot of people would have the opposite opinion. This ebook is a great way to refresh your awareness of what you know you should be doing anyway! There are a lot of good references used to add a bit more diversity to the subject. Id give an extra half a star if I could!
Arielle
Jun 17, 2012 Arielle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people in a creative position with many demands
Shelves: resources
It was quick and concise. Easy read. Few tips. It's got a great chapter on resources and how he used them. He lists off the resources and gives the reader the links. It's definitely not taking into account the whole picture (kids, family obligations, etc.). This is solely work related and how to find out whats best for you. Also written from a perspective of those who work in an office/office type setting, and from the perspective of a poet, but still really helpful.
Alex Vasai
Sep 05, 2012 Alex Vasai rated it it was ok
Short book with good idea for improving productivity. The author gives some interesting links with articles about creativity or time management.
Mark McGuiness appreciates David Allen's ideas, specially the to-do list. I find them helpful but I think it's important to solve you duties with quality results, not only to focus on cleaning the to-do list.
Prochroma
I learnt the importance of creating a buffer between my creative effort and the chaotic demands and expectations of others. I was also reminded of the role of ritual or routine in getting into working mode. It is a matter of getting the focus of attention of the mind into a comfortable and familiar and productive saddle.
Daksha11
Mar 24, 2011 Daksha11 rated it liked it
In this book the author talks about lots of tips on how stay organized at work place, while managing your creative work, which you already know but never bothered to implement it, However its worth reading just to remind yourself that its never too late to implement these ideas to have peace at work.
Ashley
Jun 29, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it
This brought up some good points about keeping part of your life organized in some way to allow you to really get into your creative flow. I know I constantly have things nagging at my mind that seem more important and this book offered up some good suggestions and a great digital planner.
Victorwangwq wang
Apr 26, 2010 Victorwangwq wang is currently reading it
For me,time management means to find the time when I can be most concentrative on my major goals. Early morning from 5:30am - 6:30am is the most effective for me. So I will choose to do the most challenging tasks during this period of time, for instance, paper reading or paper writing.
Taufan Yudha
Dec 20, 2011 Taufan Yudha rated it really liked it
Impressed by the story of Mozart and Stephen Covey's Urgent vs Important tasks management. The tips were really being helpful for me today.
It also provide some link to helpful resources such as to stevepavlina's how-to-wake-up-early.
Brandy
Jun 23, 2009 Brandy rated it liked it
McGuinness takes a lot of information from other time management gurus and authors on how to be creative in a hectic world and ties them together. The book was a quick read that had a lot of information concisely delivered.
Jolene
Apr 26, 2012 Jolene rated it liked it
Great short manual for improving workflow. Good prescriptions for relieving a backlog and setting priorities. Can't/won't implement all of the recommendations but there are some things that I will definitely act on.
About the book 1 29 Jun 22, 2008 04:02AM
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • Change Your Life Without Getting Out of Bed: The Ultimate Nap Book
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life
  • Stalking the Divine
  • Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • Do They Think You're Stupid?: 100 Ways Of Spotting Spin And Nonsense From The Media, Celebrities And Politicians
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies
  • A Perfect Mess: The Hidden Benefits of Disorder--How Crammed Closets, Cluttered Offices, and On-the-Fly Planning Make the World a Better Place
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression

“We like to think of creativity as a space for untrammelled imagination, free from all constraints. Yet
while freedom, rule-breaking and inspiration are undoubtedly essential to the creative process, the
popular image of creativity overlooks another aspect: examine the life of any great artist and you
will find evidence of hard work, discipline and a hard-won knowledge of the rules and conventions
of their medium.”
2 likes
“The wonderful thing about modern technology is the amount of communication and information-sharing it facilitates. And the awful thing about modern technology is the amount of communication and information-sharing it facilitates.” 2 likes