Start by marking “The Time of the Transference (Spellsinger, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Time of the Transference (Spellsinger, #6)

The Time of the Transference (Spellsinger #6)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,482 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In the talking-animal world of Foster's Spellsinger series, the songs of transplanted rock musician Jon-Tom make a powerful if often misdirected magic. The quests he undertakes for his wizardly mentor send him to distant countries, where he meets whimsical creatures speaking in outlandish accents. With more memorable and dramatic adventures behind him, Jon-Tom is off this ...more
Published (first published October 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Time of the Transference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time of the Transference

David Sarkies
Well, this is the last of the Spellsinger books that I have read, though another two have been released since, though I am highly doubtful that I will ever pick them up. It turns out that Jon-Tom did settle down with Talea, though she is portrayed as the loyal, subservient wife, who stays at home for years while Jon-Tom is out travelling the world. It is unclear why this is the case since she joined him on his original adventure, and one would think that she would continue to travel with in.
In
John
1989 grade B-
2008 grade B+

Series book SS6
David
I always find these books fun. The characters are good and I like the music references mixed in with magic. And I always try to work out how the song chosen will backfire.
Ensiform
More of the human in the magic animal world. The humor was well-placed, the characters good. But this time the females were domestic – Talea didn’t go with Jon-Tom on his adventure, Weegee tries to “Tame” Mudge – but the worst was that Jon-Tom left for years and Talea kept house for him, waiting alone. That’s stupid, and not at all like her original character. Enjoyable anyway, though I hate it when authors try to impose their own insecurities and fantasies on their characters.
Chicktrisch
Did not really draw my interest.
Maxwell Heath
As another spellsinger adventure this works. However, as a way of concluding the series it doesn't do so well. Talea acts very out of character and doesn't appear much. The choice of which world Jon-Tom wants to live in isn't very dramatic as he can go back and forth with relative ease. I find the main conflict itself to be somewhat stupid, as breaking the duar means there isn't much spellsinging in this book.
Chris
I read this as a teenager.

Back then I read sci-fi and fantasy almost exclusively, and this author (ADF) was one of my favorites; in particular, his Spellsinger series.

Don't know if I would like this book the same if I re-read it as an adult, but in my memory it was an entertaining read.
Keil Hunsaker
Definitely enjoyed this one and the ending seemed to pretty much wrap things up. That is until Son of Spellsinger. or whatever it is called
Emilyr753
A nice new twist in this one was a brief return to JonTom's world. It contained a satisfying ending to the series.
Ngutierrez31
Highly enjoyable as always. I read these books without haste so that I may really enjoy my imagination.
the Reeds
read this series in high school. I'm sure I liked it much more then than I would now.
Dave Peticolas

The final book in some series or another.

Peter Coad
Another fun romp by a master of fantasy
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Michael Drew
Michael Drew marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Laura added it
Dec 19, 2014
Janette Davis
Janette Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
  • The Warlock Unlocked (Warlock Series, #3)
  • Myth-ing Persons / Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #5-6)
  • Riddle of the Seven Realms (Magics, #3)
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • An Excess of Enchantments (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #2)
  • Enchanted Pilgrimage
  • The Fourth Book of Lost Swords: Farslayer's Story (Lost Swords, #4)
  • Perseus Spur: An Adventure of The Rampart Worlds
  • The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
  • Starquake
  • The Sword and the Satchel (World of the Alfar, #1)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)