Start by marking “With Friends Like These...” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,554 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Twelve stories of science fiction and interstellar adventure include Space Opera, He, Dream Done Green, Why Johnny Can't Speed, and The Emoman.
Mass Market Paperback, 236 pages
Published November 12th 1977 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about With Friends Like These..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Friends Like These...

Amy
Alan Dean Foster is one of the best science fiction/fantasy writers whose work I've ever read. His is a special creative genius that taps into an amazing imagination. He brings characters and places to life in sharp, crisp detail.

With Friends Like These... is a compilation of a round dozen of Foster's finest short stories. It takes a special talent to write short fiction, but Foster weaves his short works as tightly as any of his novels, and each story in this collection comes with a brief intr
William Bentrim

With Friends Like These…by Alan Dean Foster

This is a book of short stories. It is refreshing and shows that even in 1977 Foster was a master of his craft.

There was a lot of tongue and cheek in this book. Because of the short stories there were no consistent protagonists. The stories entertained without being taxing. It is not a book for pondering as much as it is a book for entertainment.

One thing Foster does consistently is show the potential inherent in his characters and hopefully in mankin
Thom
Quick review of a book I leave in the car for long waits and ferry rides. This collection of Alan Dean Foster short stories is pretty good overall, though the best is the first. These were written between 1971 and 1977, and each tale is introduced by the author with anecdotes. This book is also famous for the story "Why Johnny Can't Speed" from 1971, which probably inspired the Car Wars game. Next into the car is likely the sequel, ...Who Needs Enemies?, which covers 1976 to 1983.
Jeffrey
I really enjoyed this set of short stories by Foster. The car battle story "Why Johnny Can't Speed" is a cool premise that I gave to three friends in high school to read right out of the book because it was so cool. And the title story is also excellent. Some of the other stories were also good.

I am not a big fan of short stories but this is a really good collection.
Jason
A collection of short stories by one of the most prolific authors in sci-fi (but not necessarily the best!). The only reason why one should pick this up is for the classic short story, "Why Johnny Can't Speed", which was one of the inspirations/foundations for the classic board game, CAR WARS. Even if you don't know the game, the story is just fantastic.
Rob
I've been a fan of Alan Dean Foster's since my late teens. A coworker recommended this book for the story "Why Johnny Can't Drive," which was something of the impetus behind the 80s/90s game OGRE.

So far, I've read three stories in the book... and enjoyed them all; I'm looking forward to reading the rest of them.
Eddie
Collection of short stories by Alan Dean Foster. Pretty interesting stuff. Life through the eyes of a praying mantis, a future where highways are battlegrounds for tricked out death machines. Light reading.
Peter
Short story collection - With Friends Like These is one of my all time favourite 'Earthmen Uber Alles" stories
Duane
Foster is one of my favorite writers. Clean prose, venturesome settings, and a way with characters.
Foxtower
A great collection of short stories! Fun and interesting and well worth reading!
Alanis Garcia
Short stories by Alan Dean Foster
I loved the Why Johnny Can't Drive.
Denise
This is a collection of 12 short stories from the 1970s of what might broadly be called speculative fiction. Many are science fiction. Some take place in alternative universes and some are slightly more fantasy oriented. There is plenty of humor and wonder and just plain old-fashioned mighty fine storytelling. Most importantly, they’re fun.

One of the most familiar is “Why Johnny Can’t Speed,” where law enforcement has withdrawn from the freeways of southern California and the citizenry takes to
Gigngogn

Willie Whitehorse could have been just another boozed-up guitarist, if it hadn't been for his songs. Somehow they were different -- they reached out and grabbed people's souls. Now agent Sam Parker wanted a piece of the action. But when he had it, Sam knew he'd made a terrible mistake...a mistake it was much too late to correct...

With Friends Like These...

The aliens had returned to Earth after centuries because they needed allies. But after hundreds of years, they had no idea what they would be

Scott Golden
Enjoyable collection by a writer who is routinely relegated to the "B-list" by critics that denounce him as 'commercial'.
Another way to see it is 'polished & professional'.
Cheryl
Foster has done much better, since these early stories. Both the ideas and the writing is *almost* cliched - I found it jarring to have hope, with each, that it was going to be a good read, and then to be frustrated as they fell into mediocrity.
Briana
Many things aren't what they seem but this is a doozy.
Carol Rudd
one of the first books I read by Alan loved it
Betty O
I love short stories - they are candy to me!
Brett
Science Fiction
Omar Arevalo
Omar Arevalo marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Pete
Pete added it
Dec 16, 2014
Donald King
Donald King marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Lukáš Ryba
Lukáš Ryba marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
  • Diadem from the Stars (Diadem, #1)
  • All The Myriad Ways
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Endgame (Merovingen Nights, #7)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • Fuzzy Sapiens (Fuzzy Sapiens, #2)
  • Ladyhawke
  • Doctor Who and Underworld
  • Time Patrolman
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • Master of Space and Time
  • The Riders of the Sidhe
  • Storm Season (Thieves' World, #4)
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's Series, #2)
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • Spacespaw (Dilbia, #2)
  • Thrice Upon a Time
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)