Start by marking “With Friends Like These...” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,887 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Twelve stories of science fiction and interstellar adventure include Space Opera, He, Dream Done Green, Why Johnny Can't Speed, and The Emoman.
Mass Market Paperback, 236 pages
Published November 12th 1977 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about With Friends Like These..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Friends Like These...

Paul
Nov 25, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
'With Friends Like These...' is a collection of short stories by Alan Dean Foster. For the most part, the tales featured are examples of his early work; in fact, the very first story he ever had published is included as the first piece in this book.

To be honest, that first story wasn't very good but I'm glad it was included out of historical interest if nothing else. I liked all the other stories very much and they showcase Foster's great imagination. You can easily see how the springboard for a
Amy Rosenkoetter
Alan Dean Foster is one of the best science fiction/fantasy writers whose work I've ever read. His is a special creative genius that taps into an amazing imagination. He brings characters and places to life in sharp, crisp detail.

With Friends Like These... is a compilation of a round dozen of Foster's finest short stories. It takes a special talent to write short fiction, but Foster weaves his short works as tightly as any of his novels, and each story in this collection comes with a brief intr
William Bentrim
Aug 03, 2011 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing

With Friends Like These…by Alan Dean Foster

This is a book of short stories. It is refreshing and shows that even in 1977 Foster was a master of his craft.

There was a lot of tongue and cheek in this book. Because of the short stories there were no consistent protagonists. The stories entertained without being taxing. It is not a book for pondering as much as it is a book for entertainment.

One thing Foster does consistently is show the potential inherent in his characters and hopefully in mankin
Thom
Oct 09, 2015 Thom rated it really liked it
Quick review of a book I leave in the car for long waits and ferry rides. This collection of Alan Dean Foster short stories is pretty good overall, though the best is the first. These were written between 1971 and 1977, and each tale is introduced by the author with anecdotes. This book is also famous for the story "Why Johnny Can't Speed" from 1971, which probably inspired the Car Wars game. Next into the car is likely the sequel, ...Who Needs Enemies?, which covers 1976 to 1983.
Jeffrey
May 06, 2010 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I really enjoyed this set of short stories by Foster. The car battle story "Why Johnny Can't Speed" is a cool premise that I gave to three friends in high school to read right out of the book because it was so cool. And the title story is also excellent. Some of the other stories were also good.

I am not a big fan of short stories but this is a really good collection.
Jason
Aug 10, 2011 Jason rated it liked it
A collection of short stories by one of the most prolific authors in sci-fi (but not necessarily the best!). The only reason why one should pick this up is for the classic short story, "Why Johnny Can't Speed", which was one of the inspirations/foundations for the classic board game, CAR WARS. Even if you don't know the game, the story is just fantastic.
Rob
Mar 06, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Alan Dean Foster's since my late teens. A coworker recommended this book for the story "Why Johnny Can't Drive," which was something of the impetus behind the 80s/90s game OGRE.

So far, I've read three stories in the book... and enjoyed them all; I'm looking forward to reading the rest of them.
Eddie
Mar 31, 2007 Eddie rated it liked it
Collection of short stories by Alan Dean Foster. Pretty interesting stuff. Life through the eyes of a praying mantis, a future where highways are battlegrounds for tricked out death machines. Light reading.
Peter
May 06, 2012 Peter rated it liked it
Short story collection - With Friends Like These is one of my all time favourite 'Earthmen Uber Alles" stories
Duane
Dec 27, 2012 Duane rated it liked it
Foster is one of my favorite writers. Clean prose, venturesome settings, and a way with characters.
Foxtower
Mar 27, 2013 Foxtower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entertainment
A great collection of short stories! Fun and interesting and well worth reading!
A~
Feb 05, 2016 A~ rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, pdf
Short stories by Alan Dean Foster
I loved the Why Johnny Can't Drive.
Denise
Oct 14, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
This is a collection of 12 short stories from the 1970s of what might broadly be called speculative fiction. Many are science fiction. Some take place in alternative universes and some are slightly more fantasy oriented. There is plenty of humor and wonder and just plain old-fashioned mighty fine storytelling. Most importantly, they’re fun.

One of the most familiar is “Why Johnny Can’t Speed,” where law enforcement has withdrawn from the freeways of southern California and the citizenry takes to
Gigngogn
May 30, 2013 Gigngogn rated it really liked it

Willie Whitehorse could have been just another boozed-up guitarist, if it hadn't been for his songs. Somehow they were different -- they reached out and grabbed people's souls. Now agent Sam Parker wanted a piece of the action. But when he had it, Sam knew he'd made a terrible mistake...a mistake it was much too late to correct...

With Friends Like These...

The aliens had returned to Earth after centuries because they needed allies. But after hundreds of years, they had no idea what they would be

Adam
Nov 10, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it
I don't remember as much as I'd like about this collection of short stories but I do remember the title story being one the finer "terra uber alles" stories. "Why Johnny Can't Speed" was one the primary inspirations for the game Car Wars.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of short stories by one of my all time favorite writers. Foster always surprises and please me with the ideas of his stories. Highly recommended
Scott Golden
Jan 28, 2014 Scott Golden rated it really liked it
Enjoyable collection by a writer who is routinely relegated to the "B-list" by critics that denounce him as 'commercial'.
Another way to see it is 'polished & professional'.
Peter Juzyk
Apr 10, 2015 Peter Juzyk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pat Bauer
Shelves: paperback
Twenty-five years ago (in the early 1980s) when I played Car Wars a short story, "Why Johnny Can't Speed," was listed as recommended reading. I finally purchased a copy in 2011 and just read it now. I'm glad that I did because it reminds me how much I enjoyed reading Alan Dean Foster novels. With respect to this collection, my favorite is "Dream Done Green."
Serena
Nov 29, 2015 Serena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology
I have read multiple times and will hopefully get a chance to read it at least once more. I love Foster's writing style, plot progression, and world building. Not to mention the editors did an excellent job.

My Rating System:
Briana
Nov 29, 2007 Briana rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Many things aren't what they seem but this is a doozy.
Carol Rudd
Aug 10, 2013 Carol Rudd rated it really liked it
one of the first books I read by Alan loved it
Betty O
Nov 11, 2007 Betty O rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I love short stories - they are candy to me!
Gmc
Cheap, shlocky sci-fi.
Brett
Science Fiction
Fina
Fina rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Dan Stafford
Dan Stafford rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
STEPHEN
STEPHEN rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Björn Marl
Björn Marl rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • The Shadow Gate
  • All the Myriad Ways
  • Diadem from the Stars
  • Time Patrolman
  • Divine Right (Merovingen Nights, #5)
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Greyhaven
  • Storm Season (Thieves' World, #4)
  • Doctor Who: Four to Doomsday (Target Doctor Who Library No. 77)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • The Riders of the Sidhe
  • Mission to Universe
  • Ladyhawke
  • City of a Thousand Suns
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...