Start by marking “The Chronicles of Riddick” as Want to Read:
The Chronicles of Riddick

The Chronicles of Riddick

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,163 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
No matter how long or how hard they strive, no matter how extensive their education as a species, no matter what they experience of the small heavens and larger hells they create for themselves, it seems that humans are destined to see their technological accomplishments always exceed their ability to understand themselves.
Published December 18th 2007 by Del Rey Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicles of Riddick, please sign up.

Elizabeth Blakney As far as I know this book is based on the movie of the same name and would be EXTREMELY inappropriate for any middle school OR even High School aged…moreAs far as I know this book is based on the movie of the same name and would be EXTREMELY inappropriate for any middle school OR even High School aged kid. (less)

Clint
Jun 21, 2008 Clint rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who hate themselves
The Director's Cut of "Chronicles of Riddick" (the movie) is a stark contrast to the theatrical release; the DC could arguably be one of the best scifi pieces done to date. Having seen there was a novel adaptation, I grabbed it right away.

I seem to recall reading work by Alan Dean Foster before and not finding it bad.

God in HEAVEN this book is hacky and awful. It does to the screenplay what the theatrical version did: it over-explains obvious items (to the point of talking down to you as the vie
Wendy
Feb 14, 2016 Wendy rated it liked it
In my quest to read more movie novelizations this year, it's unsurprising that Foster's name would pop up on the list. In fact, in searching my library for more novelizations by him, this one popped up. Pitch Black and subsequently The Chronicles of Riddick are favourite films in my household and I am quite fond of the character of Riddick. I suspect Vin Diesel, the actor who plays him, is quite fond of Riddick too, and it shows with Chronicles. I could have done with a little less of Riddick be ...more
Selene
Dec 29, 2015 Selene rated it it was ok
I preferred the movie.
Sandra
Nov 29, 2011 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, sci-fi, male-author
Foster has done an excellent job of retelling the story from the movie.

I can hear Dame Judi Dench's voice just as it was as she read her lines as the Elemental Aereon.

However, I was expecting a bit more. After all, Foster has been around a long time writing scifi and I'm sure he could've expanded the story rather than just retelling.

Still it gets 4 stars because it is beautifully crafted.
Gregory K.
Feb 05, 2015 Gregory K. rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Riddick is an archetypal character, the quintessential anti-hero, a cunning survivor who is so good at surviving that he could almost be thought of as a force of nature himself. That was the point of the movie that this novel was based on. Here is a monster to fight off the other monsters, not because he cares but because fighting for mates and meat is what monsters do.

The author who wrote this novelization does seem to have some awareness of all this. He wants desperately to convince the reader
Charli
May 28, 2009 Charli rated it it was ok
Shelves: speculative
I normally love Alan Dean Foster but I was disappointed in this. Every writing teacher says show don't tell, but this book was just the opposite. Everything was told, over and over and over, to the detriment of what is actually a decent story.

sigh
Cassandra
Sep 18, 2008 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Well, if you've ever seen this movie, then you're going to love this book. It stays true to the storyline, but it delves deeply into the details of the movie. It is vulgar in parts, but other than that, it was a pretty amazing book.
Matthew Tait
Feb 17, 2013 Matthew Tait rated it it was amazing
Reams more information than the movie. Very solid Science Fiction.
PointyEars42
Oh. Wow. Is there a literary version of the Razzie Awards, because the winner for 2007 must have been this stinker.

This book (which seems to be the same as the director's cut of the movie) reads as an un-edited YA novel. Choppy sentences; the one-liner dialogue that only works in a movie format; action sequences killed by ill-timed exposition; and an assumption that one has a photographic memory of the movie to keep track of the characters and/or actions that are not described.

I also disliked
D. Scott Meek
Sep 05, 2013 D. Scott Meek rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to D. by: no one
Pretty weak overall, even from an old hand like Allen Dean Foster of Star Wars and Star Trek fame. There's only so much you can do with a movie to convert it into a book, and Riddick is not expected to be a very deep character, which in and of itself is rather disappointing because I think Riddick could be a very complex, very interesting character, and in neither the movie nor the book is he given that chance. Overall, I'd say the storytelling is flat, like a lot of Star Wars and Star Trek book ...more
Amy
Aug 27, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, fiction, sci-fi
Well, I never knew this was a book! Its only a short read, however it's still very enjoyable. The content is the same as the movie, which in turn leads me to believe the book was written from the movie script.

Something I liked about this book in comparison to the movie is that you can easily see how the characters feel. Unlike other books, this author portrays feelings through other characters opinions and assumptions. For example, Riddick is a very closed person. He doesn't show his feelings an
Blake.m
Dec 11, 2013 Blake.m rated it really liked it
After the whole incident with Planet Number two of the M-344/G system (Pitch Black), Riddick went into hiding in a near distant system, on a planet that is much like “Hoth” in the movie “Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back”. A mercenary was hired by someone (very familiar with Riddick) to get Riddick. The mercenary however was unsuccessful and provided Riddick with transportation. Riddick found his way to the planet “Helion Prime”, this is where he believes the bounty setter is to be found. Riddi ...more
Katherine Ricker
Mar 31, 2015 Katherine Ricker rated it it was ok
The movie was super cool, so I wanted to read the book to learn more about it and understand the somewhat confusing/fast-paced nature of the movie. The book didn't have any extra info, it was just like watching the movie but slower and less fun. Didn't seem to better explain the universe they lived in, how people came to be or what would happen next. Very unfulfilling - not the least because it seemed to have so much potential.
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
While I recognize that the movie can't exactly be considered high art, I like it a lot. I have a natural affinity for characters similar to Riddick. Primal yet exacting, the ultimate word conservationist, quick witted, and strong beyond understanding. We know that Riddick is brutal and fearsome, but still capable of loyalty and deep feelings.
I decided to read the book in hopes of learning more about why Riddick is the way he is. Where he came from. The circumstances that lead him to this rough k
Jeff
May 27, 2013 Jeff rated it it was ok
When I pick up a book based on a movie, rather than watch a movie based on a book, I expect the book to still offer a little something more than the movie. Normally this means extra background and insights into characters, possibly what the characters are thinking etc that help add to the overall story and make it different and often better than the movie. Well, in this case, watch the movie and skip the book. There is nothing in the book other than a small tacked on section at the end that is d ...more
Robotspider
Jul 17, 2014 Robotspider rated it it was ok
Unimaginative rehash of the movies. I find the Riddick universe (the multiverse?) fascinating and deep. Would love to read more about the Necromongers and their rise to power. Unfortunately, it's not to be found here.
Rebecca
Apr 30, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was ok
I've read other Alan Dean Foster and was a little surprised at the writing level. I would have totally enjoyed this when I was in 6th or 7th grade. The appendix is a welcome background on the Necromonger mythology.
Lisa
Nov 12, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
I do like the movie but the book is somewhat ok. It felt too much like reading a screenplay. This book lacks what most books have, characters thoughts/emotional struggles and explanations for certain elements. Some of the unnecessary details are over explained and repeated, making it boring. It is extremely rare for me to say this, but, stick with the movie and don't bother with the book.
Louise
Mar 13, 2014 Louise rated it liked it
Entertaining for what it is. Don't expect great literature.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Chronicles of Riddick... Again.. typos and mistakes of grammar. Well it's almost (if that can be possible) worst than the former. It doesn't add nothing. We learn nothing of Riddick or Kyra. The only worth reading is the prologue that it tells the tale of the necromongers. Everything else... well it' worthless. The only persons who should be reading are pre-existing afficionados the background information on Necroism.
Elliot Richards
Mar 27, 2013 Elliot Richards rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
This has to rate as one of the worst movie novelisations I've read in years, it's as though the author just took the screenplay and wrote the book with his eyes closed. His dull style and repetitive descriptions slow down the flow so much it's like wading through treacle. I stopped about 10-pages in, if it doesn't work for me in that space of time, then it just won't get any better. Stick to the movie!
Jenny
Mar 13, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Action adventure set on other planets... The main character, Riddick, is a lone figure - somewhat an outlaw, but somehow has a key role to the fate of the universe. While dealing with bounty officers that are after him, Riddick must also face the dead worshipping Necromongers. I'm not a big fan of this author's writing style or the way the plot was laid out in this book.
Jim
Nov 11, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
It was like watching the movie on paper. I like reading the book before watching the movie so I can compare my images with the movies. The other way around the movie takes precedence so it's not as exciting. I keep seeing Vin but in my mind Riddick is more like Clint Eastwood or Roland from the Gunslinger series.

Overall it's a fun tale with adventure and excitement.
Meike
Oct 10, 2015 Meike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, given-up-on
I'm so very 'blah' about this book. I already know the overall story, of course, seeing as I've watched the movie at least three times. So I was mainly reading in the hope to get more background on the Necromongers and maybe Riddick, but nope. The writing is so boring, it can't keep my attention for more than two pages at a time.
stormhawk
Apr 27, 2009 stormhawk rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Not sure at all why I bothered with this, although I enjoy the Riddick character and liked the movie, movie novelizations usually leave me cold. Seemed more of an excuse for ADF to show off his vocabulary than anything ... I could almost imaging him chortling every time he would have sent most readers scrabbling for a dictionary.
Ketevan
Dec 15, 2014 Ketevan rated it did not like it
Sucks
Angela
Aug 16, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
I enjoyed the film version as well, but both mediums beg so many questions. Mystery is good to keep the audience wanting more, but I read the book in hopes of getting a few more answers, which, frustratingly, didn't happen. I'll be watching the September 2013 film with guarded expectations.
Reigne Wolvenshire
Nov 19, 2012 Reigne Wolvenshire rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of the character since I first saw Pitch Black. This is a book that I can enjoy repeatedly.
Supposedly they took the original script of the movie and let the author have at it? Not sure if it's true, but either way, I LOVE this book.
Nate
Feb 25, 2012 Nate rated it really liked it
Shelves: movie-books
Added some emotional depth to the characters, but no additional story. I enjoyed the story enough to give this 4 stars and getting to enjoy it without having to watch Vin Diesel act almost convinced me to give it 5.
  • Pitch Black: Fight Evil With Evil
  • Titan A.E.
  • Batman Begins
  • Seaquest DSV: The Novel
  • Independence Day: Silent Zone
  • The Morpheus Factor (Stargate SG-1 #4)
  • Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
  • The Last Stand
  • Shades (Roswell #1)
  • T2: Rising Storm
  • The Fifth Element
  • Stargate: Rebellion (Stargate, #1)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...