Start by marking “When the Circus Came to Town” as Want to Read:
When the Circus Came to Town

When the Circus Came to Town

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A hilarious satire on small-town prejudice

It all started with the Halibuts. Then came Elmira Degoochy the snake lady. Then the Flying Gambinis -- all seven of them and their mother. And Mrs. Harrison the fortune-teller, and Mr. Wydel the strongman . . .

These are the new residents of Springfield, the formerly peaceful Midwestern town where up to now young Ivy's life had be
Published March 1st 1999 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about When the Circus Came to Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Circus Came to Town

Ashley Herring Blake
Polly Horvath entertains me again for an afternoon. Her books have such a wonderful blend of zany characters and valuable life-lessons, I gobble them up in one sitting.
Bridget R. Wilson
I love this book. I was hooked from the first page. It's delightfully hilarious. And Ivy has a unique voice and perspective on her world.
Barb G
3.5 stars. This is the third book we've read by this author. I like her sense of humor. There Is a reference to being "stoned" that I skipped over, but otherwise this book was entertaining and also a conversation starter on treating people kindly even if they come from a different background.
NC
A fun book as a group of circus people come to live in a small town. It was fun and funny, but had a good message about prejudice without being heavy handed. I enjoy Polly Horvath's books. This made me go to look for more of hers.
Susan
Delightful. Even though the recommended grades for this charming little book are for grades three through seventh, this older adult found it quite entertaining. Beyond the quirky characters, Polly Horvath is a great wordsmith and puts together sentences like: “I sank back into feigned sleep and my mother, ever cat-like, disappeared on little fog feet.” I wouldn't think that a third grader would see words like feigned, but maybe they should. I recommend this for any grade. My new plan is to read ...more
Lucy Sisk
Opravdu moc nemusím tenhle druh četby a styl psaní, ale řekla jsem si proč ne, neboť jsem tuhle knihu dostala na Vánoce a je mým zvykem řečíst každou knihu, kterou mám doma v knihovně.
Téma jak maloměšťáci přijímají nové lidi mezi sebe je sice poněkud ohrané, ale přesto nepřestává být vyhledáváným. Tomu vašak není u mě.
Kristen Jorgensen
I like Polly Horvath’s writing style.
This book is about a town struggling as ex-circus performers gradually move in, upsetting the towns "normalcy." Polly Horvath shows the simple truth about community, nobody has a right to exclude or choose who others exclude.
Amara
Nice children's story. Got it for my kids from the library, and sat down and read it. Polly Horvath is always a little over the top, which kids (and I) love. Check out "Everything on a waffle" or "The trolls" for her best ones.
Erin Jones
This is a great book for doing a circus thematic unit on, which is what I plan to do next summer. Underneath it all, it deals with prejudices and not liking people that are different from us. The ending is great and just so unexpected.
B
A girl records the reactions of town residents when various odd but funny circus performers move into town.
Kiirstin
Very witty and enjoyable to read. Loved the odd characters and the moral aspect of the story.
Metafiction for the younger set. Loved it.
Shirwac
Sep 21, 2012 Shirwac is currently reading it
i think,this book is so intresting
Jim Erekson
Jim Erekson marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Brogan
Brogan marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Anna-Grace Elizabeth
Anna-Grace Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Megan Heep
Megan Heep marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Polly Horvath is the author of many books for young people, including Everything on a Waffle, The Pepins and Their Problems, The Canning Season and The Trolls. Her numerous awards include the Newbery Honor, the National Book Award for Young People's Literature, the Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor, the Vicky Metcalf Award for Children's Literature, the Mr. Christie Award, the international White Raven ...more
More about Polly Horvath...
Everything on a Waffle (Coal Harbour #1) My One Hundred Adventures (My One Hundred Adventures #1) Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1) The Canning Season The Trolls