Start by marking “The Howling Stones” as Want to Read:
The Howling Stones

The Howling Stones (Humanx Commonwealth #16)

The newly discovered planet of Senisran was a veritable paradise. Its vast oceans were dotted with thousands of lush islands containing vast deposits of rare-earths and minerals. But Senisran was also the Humanx Commonwealth's problem child, for each island was inhabited by a different tribe of aboriginal natives whose customs and tribal rites varied from island to island. ...more
Published February 5th 1998 by Orbit (first published January 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Howling Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Howling Stones

Apr 26, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Dean Foster is back in xenozoologist mode again with this instalment of the Humanx Commonwealth series and there really is nothing he does better than dream up new species of alien and make them all interact seamlessly in his wonderfully imagined ecosystems.

This book also made this terminal daydreamer drool with its peek behind the curtain of accepted reality. I love to ponder the imponderables of reality, letting my curious mind wander around the possibilities of existence... Parallel univ
Mary JL
Oct 20, 2010 Mary JL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Science Fiction fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This story begins with the arrival of Pulickel Tomochelor on the planet Senisran. "Pu'il"--as the natives call him is a contact specialist and he is bound and determined to get a treaty with the Parmaratti tribe.

This is a common theme in SF--the "primitive" aliens turn out to be not what they seem. After a slow start, Foster handles the story quite well. The ending was different from his usual style, and was interesting.

This is not a slam-bang, shott-em up , fast paced novel. What it IS is an ex
Sep 28, 2013 Gary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
from the beginning of the book
Pulickel Tomochelor "was, in short, that most valued of all commodities in both business and government: the reliable employee without a personal agenda."
"Where Pulickel shone was in his ability to understand alien cultures and an alien point of view."

So I read the first third of the book excited to see how Pulickel demonstrates his delicate touch with first person contact.

He is personally insecure, impatient, inflexible, demanding...
He is facile with language and a
May 10, 2014 Kylie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Foster and have read around 50 of his novels. This one had a few problems that are uncharacteristic for him.

First, the novel has some definite pacing issues. The introduction phase seemed to take about 70 pages, which is considerable for a relatively short novel. Very little happened in the first 100 pages, and there was a lull around the 200 mark. Again, for a 320 page novel (give or take), I found the pacing to be an issue. If it hadn't been a foster book, I would have quit aroun
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me just start off by saying that I have always liked Alan Dean Foster as a writer. So, it came to no surprise to me that I enjoyed this book. Sure…it was a little slow in the beginning, but the native alien species make up for it. I really liked them. In fact, I found myself rooting for them and hoping that they would somehow turn down the treaty that would let the Humanx Commonwealth mine their beautiful islands. It is also nice to read about those slippery ol’ AAnn again.

The story moves a
Stuart Gathman
Mar 02, 2016 Stuart Gathman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heh, I am only half way through. But I wanted to comment about this difficult juncture in the story. The protagonist is SO STUPID! It is totally realistic, however. I have seen people use the same rationalizations to justify doing what they know is wrong. But they pretend not to know it is wrong, because those feelings are old fashioned, superstitious, or otherwise not "modern" and "scientific". Anyway, I am having trouble getting past these few pages. It is so painful to read!
Leland Gilsen
Foster must have a strange fixation... another super model female lead... this time Fawn Seaforth! Must have fantasies about his females. Another story ending in infinite incorporeal evil threatening the multiverse.
May 14, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good, it was just hard to get into the story. However nice tie in with the Pip and Flinx stories.
Ron Ball
Ron Ball rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Sergei Lewis
Sergei Lewis rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Meg rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Vulghel rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
Barry rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2007
Michael rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2007
David rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2012
Monica Seet
Monica Seet rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2011
Moshpet rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2010
Robert Garrard
Robert Garrard rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Joebuddha rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2011
Joseph Denslow
Joseph Denslow rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Tony rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Kfrank rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2010
Gregory rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2011
Kurt rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2011
Becca rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Will rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2013
Ender rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
John Kraft
John Kraft rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Terence rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Edward rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2009
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Janus (Janus, #1-2)
  • Grimmer Than Hell
  • Lazarus Rising (Starfist, #9)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • The Forlorn
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Creatures of Man
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Humanx Commonwealth (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #2)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx, #11)
  • Icerigger (Icerigger, #1)
  • Midworld (Humanx Commonwealth, #4)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Cachalot (Humanx Commonwealth, #8)
  • Nor Crystal Tears (Humanx Commonwealth, #9)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx, #1)