Start by marking “The False Mirror (The Damned, #2)” as Want to Read:
The False Mirror (The Damned, #2)

The False Mirror (The Damned #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For millennia, the alien union called the Weave had been at war with the Amplitur. But only in the handful of centuries since Earth had joined the Weave had the tide of the battle been slowly turning in the Weave's favour. Then an elite unit, raised from childhood in dedication to the Amplitur Purpose and designed to match perfectly the Humans they were to fight, came of a ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published May 28th 1994 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The False Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The False Mirror

Sherrill Watson
Written in 1992.

Rangi-aar was a Ashregan, a killing machine, groomed by his foster parents (with his brother) to fight monsters. He hated Humans. Well, halfway thru the book he finds out he has been bred by the Amplitaur to beget more Ashregans in their plan to conquer the galaxy. It takes quite a bit of convincing. Eventually, so are 25 others, to start with, which are re-programmed; this is halfway thru the book. Ampliaturs have something to say about this, (or suggest, at least).

It's interes
This is a better book than A Call To Arms, but unfortunately, you'll have to read that one to understand this one. You really can't just start here.

As I said before, this series has an interesting premise: humans are effectively the scariest thing in the galaxy. We're uniquely violent and uniquely capable of wielding that violence. It makes for an interesting world for characters to operate in and not one we find often in science fiction.

I feel the need to give it four stars as it's better than
In the second installment of this series, we see the Amplitur answer to humans: Trying to manufacture their own duplicate humans. They already had a humanoid soldier-race, the Ashregan, so there's a point to start with.

Much of this book follows one of these "special-issue" Ashregan, who begins in service to the Amplitur, providing an perspective on the "bad guys" of the series - and along the way engaging us in an examination of what it means to be human. A certain way through the book we learn
This book is a fascinating sci-fi book. This book makes you think of what it means to be human and what sets us apart from others. If you have been engineered to look like something else and grown up with others of that species are you still human or some thing else.
Not a bad auld book but ... eh. I'm just making my way through to the end at this point.

Also forgot to mark it when I started reading before the weekend.
Justin Gramm
Ironically, this book is actually better than the first one, but I didn't like it as much. I think that's because I liked the ideas in the first book, and the newness of them made me enjoy it more, despite this actually being a better book.
Mike (the Paladin)
The story became more "just a story" here. We've already seen the pacifist become a professional soldier and humans go to war basically as the WEAVE's mercenaries, so now we need to finish the war.

It's still a good read with the Amplitur trying to come up with a way to counter the human immunity to their power. Not quite as good or as original as the first volume in the series, but "fun".

I enjoyed this series, unapologetically.
Bryan Reed
This one is better than the first installment; it's a much more coherent story. I'll probably read the next one just to see how the story turns out, even though I have to put up with the race of creatures that talk like Yoda. You'd think at their level of tech the translators would clean up the grammar.
May 20, 2009 Erica rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: sff
Easier to read than A Call to Arms and the plot was much more gripping, but still, there is a certain blandness. When you have a story about humans fighting an intergalactic war, shouldn't you be more excited?

Also, I thought it was interesting that so far no characters have overlapped from book to book.
Al Philipson
Foster is obviously trading on the popularity of Book 1. Although the story line is a fairly good one, I suspect it could have been told with about half as many words, but then it wouldn’t have been long enough to publish in paper form.

Not up to the first book.

My Rating System:
Bland. None of the characters I liked from the 1st book reappear.
read 10.06.05
The Damned series book 2
[Full Review to Follow]
Gabriel Martinez
Gabriel Martinez marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Rich marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Aric Cowett
Aric Cowett marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
  • Police Your Planet
  • The Machiavelli Interface (Matador, #3)
  • The Kundalini Equation
  • Starstrike
  • A Magic of Dawn (Nessantico Cycle, #3)
  • Life Probe
  • Go Tell the Spartans (Falkenberg's Legion, Book 3)
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
  • Venus of Dreams
  • Cobra Alliance (Cobra War, #1)
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • Manhattan Transfer
  • The Unreasoning Mask
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • The Sword and the Satchel (World of the Alfar, #1)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

The Damned (3 books)
  • A Call to Arms (The Damned, #1)
  • The Spoils of War (The Damned, #3)
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx Adventures, #2) Aliens