Start by marking “Why Revival Tarries: A Classic on Revival” as Want to Read:
Why Revival Tarries: A Classic on Revival

Why Revival Tarries: A Classic on Revival

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  606 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Leonard Ravenhill's call to revival is as timely now as it was when rst published over forty years ago. The message is fearless and often radical as he expounds on the disparity between the New Testament church and the church today. Why Revival Tarries contains the heart of his message. A.W. Tozer called Ravenhill "a man sent from God" who "appeared at [a] critical moment ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Why Revival Tarries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Revival Tarries

Brian
You gotta love Ravenhill's intensity but it is almost exhausting. Reminds me of the drill Sargent gym teacher that was never satisfied with how hard you worked out, even though you were puking. And if it's any consultation, I was a hardcore athlete growing up. So thats the way I picture the comparison but in a spiritual sense.

But truthfully, generally speaking, I feel we are pretty wimpy in our prayer lives. We all could use a kick in the butt to pursue God "harder" or enjoy His presence longer
Kim
I would probably give this more of a 4.5, but that isn't an option on Goodreads. This book wasn't what I expected simply due to the fact of who recommended it to me. I have been quite frustrated with organized religion based on the lack of passion that I see in the pews and the fact that so much seems fake. I want a more authentic experience where I'm not simply confined to being a passive bystander in many areas. I believe in the priesthood of all believers, and I'm not very good about being "o ...more
Chris
What can I say about Ravenhill? The man is intense! Every page of this book is a hard core challenge to comfortable Christians. He puts his finger on some of the biggest issues of the church, and then presses down hard. Do Christians really care about doing God's work? Are they actually concerned for the lost? Are they willing to do the work of prayer, suffering, and dying to themselves to see revival? As a Christian leader I feel well reprimanded for my lack of prayer, earnestness, and commitme ...more
Michael Vincent
Ravenhill's passion comes through in this plea for prayer and revival. He uses much Scripture throughout. A mighty call to prayer for God's people. I would have liked to hear more of his own prayer life and the fruit he has seen.
Darlan Barbosa
Por que tarda o Pleno Avivamento?(Editora Betânia, 1989, 160 páginas) do evangelista Leonard Ravenhill é um clássico sobre a oração e avivamento. Escrito originalmente em 1959 o livro continua mais atual do que nunca ao denunciar a situação decadente do cristianismo evangélico contemporâneo, sua frieza espiritual, a negligência à oração e aos valores celestiais. É um chamado ao arrependimento da Igreja, uma trombeta celestial que alerta para a necessidade de voltarmos aos padrões bíblicos de uma ...more
Tim Baumgartner
When I saw an endorsement for this book by one of my favorite writers and thinkers, Ravi Zacharias, saying, "The book that shaped me probably more dramatically than any other book that I have read...," I KNEW I had to read it. So, mission accomplished--this book certainly challenged me as well to get in my prayer closet a la Matthew 6:6. One of the main challenges of the book is that there aren't enough "Paul's" or "Jeremiah's" or "Moses'". Ravenhill wonders, "Where have all the prophets gone?" ...more
Jay Miklovic
This classic book on revival was one that I truly enjoyed and was stirred by the first time I read it. Yet now in my second reading it leaves me scratching my head.

This book has so many great one liners, and Ravenhill's style was fantastic, there is something almost poetic about each of the essays in this book. I enjoyed his word play.

The down side of this book is that it leaves God's hands utterly tied. God is waiting on you to pray, you to preach, you to weep... everything in Ravenhill's theol
Todd Wilhelm
"For this midnight hour, incandescent men are needed. On the day of Pentecost, the flame of the living God became the flame of the human heart to that glorious company. The Church began with these men in the "upper room" agonizing - and today is ending with men in the supper room organizing. The Church began in Revival; we are ending in ritual. We started virile; we are ending sterile. Charter members of the Church were men of heat and no degrees; today many hold degrees, but have no heat! Ah, b ...more
Eyebright
Mar 08, 2013 Eyebright rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eyebright by: Sagerats
Although this book appears to have been written for Pastors and Church leaders, it also contained a wealth of spiritual insights that anyone could benefit from. "Why Revival Tarries" emphasizes the utterly vital role of prayer in man's relationship with God. Prayer is an undervalued practice that grows, strengthens, and motivates the Believers, as well as moves and shakes the world.

The author was very fond of using a certain format of sentence to make his points, although the statements made wer
Kathy
I would like to say that I enjoyed this book but it was way too convicting to enjoy. Ravenhill calls the church to get back to its passion for Christ, to return to our first love. This book will inspire you to pray passionately for a deeper relationship with God on a personal level as well as within the body of believers. A must read for every Christian.
Godly
If you want to feel like a nothing, read this book. I felt like a ZERO when reading Leonard's cries for the modern church to rise out of her irreverant stupor, perenial lethargy and outright hypocrisy. Leonard present amazing truths about spiritual life and prayer that is often overlooked. I was deeply humbled in reading this book. MUST READ FOR ALL.
Kristin
There was a time in my life when I felt personally responsible for bringing about a spiritual revival in the US. I was convinced that if I just managed my time well enough, and had enough intensity in my prayer-life, and agonized enough for the lost and blah blah blah, that revival would visit the US. I wore myself out, and gave up. Ironically, I look upon those years of my life as my "wilderness" years. Perhaps these present years are the years when I have relied on the Holy Spirit to convict m ...more
Willie Pate
You know a book is good when it quickens you to prayer. I literally threw this book across the room and got on my face in conviction and a desire to meet the God Ravenhill talks about.
Cephas Martin
This book challenged me to become more spiritually minded. I understand why revival tarries and I am contemplating making changes in how I operate in mininstry.
Kristoffer
I think it says a lot to say that I will definitely read this book several times. I advise any christian to read this book and to take its warnings to heart.
Steve
An incredibly powerful, soul-stirring call to a deeper walk in the Spirit. Undoubtedly one of the most impacting books I've ever read. Anyone who dares to read this book should brace themselves to be challenged spiritually, and ministers who dare to read this should be prepared to be challenged to go beyond the realm of ego, pomp, and blustering mediocrity that permeates the religious world today. I—and other readers of this great book—should probably commit to reading it every two or three year ...more
Gary B
Leonard Ravenhill's writing is extraordinary. Many, many paragraphs contain indictments of current church life and practice, as well as challenges to the individual believer.

Parts of the book drag a little (from around the middle of the book until the last quarter or so), but it pays to get beyond that. In some ways Ravenhill doesn't spell out the way ahead so much as to describe the final destination and leaving it up to believers in conjunction with the Spirit to find the way there. It's not a
Manuell La
the most dramatic book on revival ever
John Orth
This book is one of my favorite books. Its not written in a particular style, so the critical reader may be put off by that. I read one review that said it appeared to be written so the chapters stand alone and could be read that way. To understand the thrust and impact of this book its a must to read the whole thing in order.

You must also be willing to put away any theological differences and look only to what the Bible says. This man of God his the nail on the head as he wrote this. Five star
John
I have had this is personal library for over 20 years, do not remember when last read, or if I had read...it was not marked up. I was prompted to read as my heart has been moved seeking the Lord for revival, studying the Great Awakenings of North America.

Written in 1959, but as relevant today, it may be of greater relevancy today. Prayer, faith, humility. Revival tarries when God's people do not call out desperately for God to do a work of renewal and redemption for His Glory!!
Olabode Ososami
Ravenhill often makes you uncomfortable spiritually...you always feel after reading his books that you have still a long way to go...your cherished milestones always look like trash. In this classic on Revival, Ravenhill discussed why we have no Revival and challenges easily the methods and widely acclaimed exploits of modern evangelicals...If you are not used to hearing humbling truth...then do not go near this book...
Emily
Wow, Leonard Ravenill really hits hard with this book and it's so powerful. He brings a much needed word to the people of God about what it means to really pray and to live for Jesus with a fervor that today's church seems to be missing. Deeply challenging but also encouraging to know that God does show up when His people look to Him. I'd reccommend this to anyone who wants to be challenged to grow with Jesus in prayer.
Mark
This was one of Uncle Earveys old books.
Ravenhill was passionate to say the least. I loved his writing on prayer, and the chapter about Apostle Paul.
But his worldview is completely different than mine. I don't believe we would agree on what the essence of Christianity is. 5 stars for passion, and 1 star for his dogma.average: 3 stars. and i'll add a star for the dramatic ink illustrations in this old edition.
Michelle O'brien
This book is good. The author truly has a passion. There are some parts where it seems very redundant and needless, but overall it is an inspiring book.
Daniel Alvers
This man was filled with passion. While I like my theology more reformed I can appreciate his desire for God. What a way to say things as well. Very good at getting his opinions across. This book also reads like a machine gun sermon introduction. You never know what is going to happen. Ravenhill just loads up and fires. I also noticed how many times he used alliteration. He is the man at that.
Wayne Stapleton
Chapter 18 brings the noise! This book is challenging and led me to my knees...
David Riddell
One of the most powerful books written since the Bible in my opinion. Read this, the first time, while on a missions trip in Jamaica and it changed me more than the trip, and missions trips are always powerful.

I highly recommend this read. It truly gives the solution to why revival is dormant in our Church world... in America at least.
Allen
A great work by a godly man! I found this book to be challenging on many levels. The prayer detail he pays to each word is clear. I intentionally read this book slowly. The temptation is to fly right through it; however, it is more edifying to take it slow. I will return to this text time and time again.
Michael
This is a difficult book to read all the way around, but it is necessary I think to resonate with the fact that we elevate many things above living and speaking the truth of the Gospel to those who deeply desire the truth and God; that is, who He really is, and not as we believe Him to be.
copy 2 8 Oct 23, 2008 08:17AM
  • Power Through Prayer
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • Wrestling Prayer
  • The Doctrine of Repentance (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer
  • After God's Own Heart: The key to knowing and living God's passionate love for you
  • Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12–14
  • Foundations of the Christian Faith
  • The Attributes of God
  • The Mark of a Man
  • The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • Honest to God?: Becoming an Authentic Christian
  • The Gospel's Power & Message (Recovering the Gospel)
  • Secrets of the Secret Place: Keys to Igniting Your Personal Time with God
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
Very little biographical information is available for Leonard Ravenhill. He rarely spoke of himself which is likely a reflection of his belief in exalting Christ and not self. Most of what we know about Ravenhill is from sources that knew him and the details he provided in sermons. He was an evangelist born in Leeds, Yorkshire, England in 1907 and was used by God in revivals in Great Brittan befor ...more
More about Leonard Ravenhill...
Revival Praying: An Urgent and Powerful Message for the Family of Christ Revival God's Way Sodom Had No Bible Why Revival Tarries Revival Praying

“If we displease God, does it matter whom we please? If we please Him does it matter whom we displease?” 35 likes
“Satan fools and feigns, blows and bluffs, and we so often take his threats to heart and forget the "exceeding greatness of God's power to us.” 17 likes