After Gandhi: One Hundred Years of Nonviolent Resistance

After Gandhi: One Hundred Years of Nonviolent Resistance

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In 1908 Mohandas Gandhi spoke to a crowd of 3,000. Together they protested against an unjust law without guns or rioting. Peacefully they made a difference. Gandhi’s words and deeds influenced countless others to work toward the goals of freedom and justice through peaceful methods. Mother and son team, Anne Sibley O’Brien and Perry Edmond O’Brien, highlight some of the pe...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Charlesbridge

Marjanne
Mar 17, 2009 Marjanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: younger readers interested in politics and history
This book is kind of set up as an introduction to Nonviolent Resistance, and it seems geared toward younger readers (like Jr. High or High School). It seemed well written and researched, though only touches very briefly on a handful of these resistance movements. I liked that there are well known movements, but there were some I was not aware of. So I did learn a little. This book was inspiring and makes me want to be more involved in politics. I like the message of nonviolent resistance. I thin...more
Anina Ertel
This book is cool, I like the illustrations, I like the stories they chose.

My only complaint is that for some reason they have to explain every remotely difficult vocabulary word they use, which really interrupts the flow and enjoyability of the stories. Ex "The South Vietnamese had been under an oppressive regime. Opressive means... Regime means...." Also I think that talks down a little bit (I know it's a children's book, but I think it's a book for children old enough to make a conscious deci...more
Susan
This was an interesting, succinct introduction to important events in the history of nonviolent protest. One caveat: the "At that time..." wording in the Tianenmen Square chapter implies that government censorship and the inability of citizens to, you know, vote is a thing of the past. I don't know why the authors suddenly got squeamish; they weren't at all shy about pointing out that protest in Burma is still actively stifled.
Jon
Feb 04, 2012 Jon added it
Nice book for young people; a bit hippie in places. Leo, you should read this.
John Parker
“After Gandhi: One hundred years of nonviolent resistance offers a very selective history that is used to explain nonviolence in a very modern context. The vignettes and their principal actors are presented to illustrate the practices often associated with Mohandas Gandhi.
It is within the context of these vignettes that the book introduces the reader to essential terms such as “apartheid,” “strikes,” “junta,” “petition,” and dozens more. The summaries of the incidents are concise and retain the...more
France
Cet ouvrage propose un point de vue intéressant de l’histoire des luttes contre l’injustice menées au 20e siècle, en l’abordant dans la perspective de la désobéissance civile et de la résistance non violente, telle que mises de l’avant par Gandhi. Seize personnages, provenant des quatre coins du monde et ayant une plus ou moins grande notoriété, y sont présentés. Le livre les introduit de façon chronologique et, pour chacun, une même structure est utilisée, facilitant le repérage de l’informatio...more
S'hi
A well set out book, designed for children, but providing an overview for anyone wanting to gain an insight to the development and persistence of nonviolent resistance to inspire their own action and connection with other human beings in meaningful ways. Covering a full range of protests from basic rights to live productive and healthy lives, to racial and ideological differences which have raged for centuries, the examples given allow young people to make up their own minds about many of the is...more
Terry
There is a lot to absorb and learn. With each chapter, I was struck by the bravery of these individuals. Pairing the events themselves with the mini-biography ("More to the Story") added a unique feature to the book. The author balances this exceptional set of biographies with examples of "leaderless" efforts, such as student activists in Tiananmen Square.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Katy
Teaching a unit on resiliency and civil disobedience--I cannot wait to share some of these short, easily comprehensible stories with my students. The book features many movements of non-violence and civil disobedience in 2-5 page vignettes in easily accessible language for junior high and lower level high school students. Also, may spark some ideas for an upcoming researched based argument assignment.
Denise
Sep 17, 2010 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jnf
This book chronicles peace-loving individuals who changed the world from Gandhi to present day.

This is quality nonfiction highlighting individuals who overcame great odds to achieve the seemingly impossible, sometimes with very little support or resources. The charcoal portraits of key players and events invoke a sense of importance and history beyond what you might find in a textbook.
Mandy
This is a book I loved so much that I want to own it! It is a collection of very short, true stories of people who have tried to change the world without using violence--Gandhi, MLK, Nelson Mandela, Wangari Maathai, etc. It was an inspiring read and a very readable piece of nonfiction.
Kristine
This is a great book about true heroes whose mission in life is peace and equality through non-violent action. I would recommend the book to any student who's interested in, or doing research on conflict resolution and change. "Be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi.
Robin
Profiles of "ordinary people" who "had the courage to take a stand without resorting to violence or hate." (3) The authors view nonviolent resistance as a "living, breathing, changing tradition" that will be used to change the world (4).
Jason Mirque
This is a very good book. I must confess that it couldn't keep my attention very well. I chalk that up to personal reasons, rather than the quality of the book.
Sam Bloom
Fantastic and inspiring book about real people who have done some amazingly brave things in the face of life-threatening situations.
Brian
I was really inspired by this - highly recommended!
Max
Max marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Jay Gesin
Jay Gesin marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Steve Dustcircle
Steve Dustcircle marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Kimberly Hoffman Kanof
Kimberly Hoffman Kanof is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2013
Ashley Adams
Ashley Adams marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
LB
LB marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Kimbarrett
Kimbarrett marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Lauren Cottrell
Lauren Cottrell marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Legend of Hong Kil Dong: The Robinhood of Korea A Path of Stars (Asian Pacific American Award for Literature. Children's and Young Adult. Honorable Mention (Awards)) The Princess and the Beggar: A Korean Folktale Where's My Truck? I Want That!