Start by marking “After Gandhi: One Hundred Years of Nonviolent Resistance” as Want to Read:
After Gandhi: One Hundred Years of Nonviolent Resistance

After Gandhi: One Hundred Years of Nonviolent Resistance

In 1908 Mohandas Gandhi spoke to a crowd of 3,000. Together they protested against an unjust law without guns or rioting. Peacefully they made a difference. Gandhi’s words and deeds influenced countless others to work toward the goals of freedom and justice through peaceful methods. Mother and son team, Anne Sibley O’Brien and Perry Edmond O’Brien, highlight some of the pe ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Charlesbridge

To ask other readers questions about After Gandhi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Gandhi

Marjanne
Mar 17, 2009 Marjanne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: younger readers interested in politics and history
This book is kind of set up as an introduction to Nonviolent Resistance, and it seems geared toward younger readers (like Jr. High or High School). It seemed well written and researched, though only touches very briefly on a handful of these resistance movements. I liked that there are well known movements, but there were some I was not aware of. So I did learn a little. This book was inspiring and makes me want to be more involved in politics. I like the message of nonviolent resistance. I thin ...more
Anina
Jul 18, 2009 Anina rated it really liked it
This book is cool, I like the illustrations, I like the stories they chose.

My only complaint is that for some reason they have to explain every remotely difficult vocabulary word they use, which really interrupts the flow and enjoyability of the stories. Ex "The South Vietnamese had been under an oppressive regime. Opressive means... Regime means...." Also I think that talks down a little bit (I know it's a children's book, but I think it's a book for children old enough to make a conscious deci
Susan
Apr 20, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: read_and_review
This was an interesting, succinct introduction to important events in the history of nonviolent protest. One caveat: the "At that time..." wording in the Tianenmen Square chapter implies that government censorship and the inability of citizens to, you know, vote is a thing of the past. I don't know why the authors suddenly got squeamish; they weren't at all shy about pointing out that protest in Burma is still actively stifled.
Jon
Dec 16, 2015 Jon rated it liked it
Nice book for young people; a bit hippie in places. Leo, you should read this.
John Parker
Feb 17, 2009 John Parker rated it really liked it
“After Gandhi: One hundred years of nonviolent resistance offers a very selective history that is used to explain nonviolence in a very modern context. The vignettes and their principal actors are presented to illustrate the practices often associated with Mohandas Gandhi.
It is within the context of these vignettes that the book introduces the reader to essential terms such as “apartheid,” “strikes,” “junta,” “petition,” and dozens more. The summaries of the incidents are concise and retain the
France
Oct 26, 2013 France rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cet ouvrage propose un point de vue intéressant de l’histoire des luttes contre l’injustice menées au 20e siècle, en l’abordant dans la perspective de la désobéissance civile et de la résistance non violente, telle que mises de l’avant par Gandhi. Seize personnages, provenant des quatre coins du monde et ayant une plus ou moins grande notoriété, y sont présentés. Le livre les introduit de façon chronologique et, pour chacun, une même structure est utilisée, facilitant le repérage de l’informatio ...more
S'hi
Sep 09, 2012 S'hi rated it really liked it
A well set out book, designed for children, but providing an overview for anyone wanting to gain an insight to the development and persistence of nonviolent resistance to inspire their own action and connection with other human beings in meaningful ways. Covering a full range of protests from basic rights to live productive and healthy lives, to racial and ideological differences which have raged for centuries, the examples given allow young people to make up their own minds about many of the is ...more
Terry
There is a lot to absorb and learn. With each chapter, I was struck by the bravery of these individuals. Pairing the events themselves with the mini-biography ("More to the Story") added a unique feature to the book. The author balances this exceptional set of biographies with examples of "leaderless" efforts, such as student activists in Tiananmen Square.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Katy
Oct 08, 2011 Katy rated it really liked it
Teaching a unit on resiliency and civil disobedience--I cannot wait to share some of these short, easily comprehensible stories with my students. The book features many movements of non-violence and civil disobedience in 2-5 page vignettes in easily accessible language for junior high and lower level high school students. Also, may spark some ideas for an upcoming researched based argument assignment.
Denise
Sep 17, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: jnf
This book chronicles peace-loving individuals who changed the world from Gandhi to present day.

This is quality nonfiction highlighting individuals who overcame great odds to achieve the seemingly impossible, sometimes with very little support or resources. The charcoal portraits of key players and events invoke a sense of importance and history beyond what you might find in a textbook.
Mandy
Feb 28, 2010 Mandy rated it it was amazing
This is a book I loved so much that I want to own it! It is a collection of very short, true stories of people who have tried to change the world without using violence--Gandhi, MLK, Nelson Mandela, Wangari Maathai, etc. It was an inspiring read and a very readable piece of nonfiction.
Kristine
Sep 11, 2011 Kristine rated it really liked it
This is a great book about true heroes whose mission in life is peace and equality through non-violent action. I would recommend the book to any student who's interested in, or doing research on conflict resolution and change. "Be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi.
Robin
Dec 30, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
Profiles of "ordinary people" who "had the courage to take a stand without resorting to violence or hate." (3) The authors view nonviolent resistance as a "living, breathing, changing tradition" that will be used to change the world (4).
Jason Mirque
Oct 19, 2013 Jason Mirque rated it liked it
This is a very good book. I must confess that it couldn't keep my attention very well. I chalk that up to personal reasons, rather than the quality of the book.
Sam Bloom
Oct 27, 2009 Sam Bloom rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and inspiring book about real people who have done some amazingly brave things in the face of life-threatening situations.
Brian
Sep 13, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing
I was really inspired by this - highly recommended!
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Aug 24, 2016
Jalyn Bre
Jalyn Bre marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Lesley Burnap
Lesley Burnap marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Laura added it
Feb 25, 2016
Symbb Booy
Symbb Booy rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2015
Lila Weaver
Lila Weaver marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015