Start by marking “Mrs. Sharp's Traditions: Reviving Victorian Family Celebrations of Comfort & Joy” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  27 reviews
This book serves as a historical reference book about Victorian traditions.
Published May 2nd 2001 by Scribner (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Sharp's Traditions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Sharp's Traditions

Chanelle
I LOVE this book. It is full of old family traditions and how to bring joy back through them. It is an easy read that goes by month. I recommend it for everyone that wants to create happy family memories.
Amy Law
If you have any interest in victorian or day gone by traditions this book is for you. It's filled with recipes, ideas and traditions that were common in victorian society. Its great resource for anyone wanting to add some romatic traditions and beauty into your modern life.
Missy
I love reading about Victorian traditions and the origins of our holidays. It has given me ideas of how to create special days for my kids--from birthdays to forgotten holidays such as Candlemas. A charming book.
Krista
Really fun! A great "listory" of holidays and special ways and occasions to celebrate. Good for reference and fun with kiddos! Would make a great coffee table book, too.
Holly
This is such a fun book! I go back to it regularly when I need help with a celebration, or an excuse to plan a party for my family. Everyone should have this book.
Relaynie
Mar 18, 2009 Relaynie added it
Shelves: own
Simple Abundance,Sarah Ban Breathnach
Helen Juarez
This is a wonderful book full of ideas to incorporate into your families day-to-day living to help make some wonderful memorable traditions of your own.The Victorians knew how to keep it simple yet meaningful. This is a great read for anyone interested in creating some meaningful traditions for their own family.
Kris Irvin
This book will make you want to live in the Victorian era! It is wonderfully written with fascinating details about life in the early 19th century. Ban Breathnach's ideas for borrowing Victorian traditions are almost inspiring. I think this book would be better suited for larger families, or at least families with more than one child. Many of the traditions sound great but would certainly be fun with siblings to share the experience with. Also if you have only boys, they may not appreciate some ...more
Kristen
Mar 17, 2008 Kristen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, waldorf inclined, people searching for traditions
I found this book in the store and picked it up on a whim. Many of the traditions I had already "read" as someone had plagerized a number of them and posted them on her blog, but I didn't know it at the time. I loved the ideas when I read them on the blog, in fact copied a few to incorporate in my own house.

Once I found the author of the book and the originator of many of the ideas was Sarah Ban Breathnach, I was thrilled. I love this book and it comes of the shelf when I want to create fun acti
Leah Beecher
A reference book about family based on Victorian ideals and customs on how a family should be run, and enjoyed. Its told in a quirky way as the Author is "the voice" of the fictitious Victorian housewife and mother, Mrs. Sharp. Its full of history and really good practical tips and sweet projects for you and your children to do together as a family, all year long. This is what helped launch me into the role of an official "crafty mom" with a higher purpose. A modern but non Christian book that s ...more
Tessa
My step mother gave me this book when I got married and as someone who has always felt the power of positive tradtions I fell immediately in love with it. It's beautiful, for one thing; it's practical for another. She has lots of ideas so that you can test out which ones work for your family. She inclues the history of the traditions and holidays, which adds dimension and meaning to celebrating them. This book is pro family togetherness, joy, meaningful time together and love. I highly recommend ...more
Meg
I just re-read this book for the 5th or 6th time, and it was just as inspiring as the first! I feel rejuvinated to continue to make the effort to create a warm, inviting home life for my family, filled with fun traditions! There are so many good ideas in this book without feeling preachy. I love all things old fashioned, and so I really relate to the style of the writing as well. I LOVE this book and keep it displayed on my hope chest in my bedroom.
Melissa
Absolutely loved this book. It's meant as a reference as ideas to do from month to month. Old fashioned, Victorian, simple holiday, festive, and day to day ideas to do each month to make bring the family closer together and have a more loving, united family environment. I'm going to buy it to have as a reference all year long.
Ellen
Great ideas through out the year to make family traditions. The traditions in the book are interesting and very Victorian, in a refreshing way. Break away from modern day traditions and adopt some that are full of "comfort and joy". Great Victorian illustrations.
Spinneretta
This books is filled with seasonal ideas for family togetherness. The ideas are sweet, some are based on Victorian traditions, some are based on more recent ideas. Her seasonal living traditions are worth looking at, and some are even worth doing ;)
Angelyn
This is just a fun, fix a cup of cocoa and sit in the tub read. It's written from the perspective of a Victorian age woman giving advice to mothers. She talks a lot about Victorian traditions. It's just fun.
Colleen
Lovely ideas from traditions of the past on how to incorporate new ways of celebrating the seasons and holidays with your family. Will definitely pick up again if I have a family!
Charity
Was looking for ideas for traditions. This book had many good ones and it was really fun to see how Victorian life was from a homemaker's point of view.
Tiffany
This is another Favorite book! I get a lot of my holiday celebrating ideas. It is a great way to celebrate family! I think a true homemakers classic!
Donna
Old-fashioned and sweet with some good ideas for incorporating nice traditions into your family's life for each month of the year.
Mary
Rereading this book, which I think I might do every couple of years. Love it!

Wonderful family traditions from an era sadly past.
Daune Robinson Calovini
Re-reading. I love this book. Getting ideas of things to do for home.
Liesl
Fun things for a mom to incorporate in celebrations and activities.
Robin
Jul 12, 2008 Robin added it
This book is great, but her other books are said to be new-age(y).
Becky Carlson
loved it so much,i have a copy.
Dottie
Sep 15, 2008 Dottie marked it as books-to-check-out
Testing
onetwothree
Denise
Unbelievable tat.
Bonni
Bonni marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family, A
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House
  • Seasons of a Mothers Heart
  • Mitten Strings for God: Reflections  for Mothers in a Hurry
  • Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven
  • The Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Home Education
  • News from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #3)
  • The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution
  • Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall
  • All Year Round
  • Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
In addition to SIMPLE ABUNDANCE, Sarah Ban Breathnach is the author of THE SIMPLE ABUNDANCE JOURNAL OF GRATITUDE, SOMETHING MORE, and MRS. SHARP'S TRADITIONS. She currently resides in California. Please visit her website at www.simpleabundance.com.
More about Sarah Ban Breathnach...
Simple Abundance:  A Daybook of Comfort and Joy Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self Romancing the Ordinary: A Year of Simple Splendor The Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude Moving On: Creating Your House of Belonging with Simple Abundance