Start by marking “Mrs. Sharp's Traditions: Reviving Victorian Family Celebrations of Comfort & Joy” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This book serves as a historical reference book about Victorian traditions.
Published May 2nd 2001 by Scribner (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Sharp's Traditions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Sharp's Traditions

Chanelle
Nov 10, 2008 Chanelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
I LOVE this book. It is full of old family traditions and how to bring joy back through them. It is an easy read that goes by month. I recommend it for everyone that wants to create happy family memories.
Emily
Apr 21, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I am not naturally creative in the parenting department and this has given me lots of unique, entertaining ideas for things to do with my family. Even before I had kids, my husband and I used this book's idea for dying Easter Eggs with natural dyes (berries, turmeric, spinach, etc.) which turned out lovely. It's a big reason for why I do afternoon tea parties with my kids regularly. It's basically a parenting book for Christian parents who like Victorian (both E ...more
Amy Law
May 09, 2011 Amy Law rated it it was amazing
If you have any interest in victorian or day gone by traditions this book is for you. It's filled with recipes, ideas and traditions that were common in victorian society. Its great resource for anyone wanting to add some romatic traditions and beauty into your modern life.
Missy
Feb 23, 2008 Missy rated it really liked it
I love reading about Victorian traditions and the origins of our holidays. It has given me ideas of how to create special days for my kids--from birthdays to forgotten holidays such as Candlemas. A charming book.
Krista
Apr 17, 2010 Krista rated it really liked it
Really fun! A great "listory" of holidays and special ways and occasions to celebrate. Good for reference and fun with kiddos! Would make a great coffee table book, too.
Holly
Jan 16, 2009 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is such a fun book! I go back to it regularly when I need help with a celebration, or an excuse to plan a party for my family. Everyone should have this book.
Relaynie
Mar 18, 2009 Relaynie added it
Shelves: own
Simple Abundance,Sarah Ban Breathnach
Helen Juarez
Oct 01, 2014 Helen Juarez rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book full of ideas to incorporate into your families day-to-day living to help make some wonderful memorable traditions of your own.The Victorians knew how to keep it simple yet meaningful. This is a great read for anyone interested in creating some meaningful traditions for their own family.
Kris Irvin
Sep 03, 2009 Kris Irvin rated it really liked it
This book will make you want to live in the Victorian era! It is wonderfully written with fascinating details about life in the early 19th century. Ban Breathnach's ideas for borrowing Victorian traditions are almost inspiring. I think this book would be better suited for larger families, or at least families with more than one child. Many of the traditions sound great but would certainly be fun with siblings to share the experience with. Also if you have only boys, they may not appreciate some ...more
Kristen
Mar 17, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, waldorf inclined, people searching for traditions
I found this book in the store and picked it up on a whim. Many of the traditions I had already "read" as someone had plagerized a number of them and posted them on her blog, but I didn't know it at the time. I loved the ideas when I read them on the blog, in fact copied a few to incorporate in my own house.

Once I found the author of the book and the originator of many of the ideas was Sarah Ban Breathnach, I was thrilled. I love this book and it comes of the shelf when I want to create fun acti
Yvonne Crawford
Jan 14, 2016 Yvonne Crawford rated it it was amazing
wonderful book for self help on Victorian families and improving your own traditions
Leah Beecher
Apr 13, 2011 Leah Beecher rated it it was amazing
A reference book about family based on Victorian ideals and customs on how a family should be run, and enjoyed. Its told in a quirky way as the Author is "the voice" of the fictitious Victorian housewife and mother, Mrs. Sharp. Its full of history and really good practical tips and sweet projects for you and your children to do together as a family, all year long. This is what helped launch me into the role of an official "crafty mom" with a higher purpose. A modern but non Christian book that s ...more
Tessa
Apr 08, 2012 Tessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
My step mother gave me this book when I got married and as someone who has always felt the power of positive tradtions I fell immediately in love with it. It's beautiful, for one thing; it's practical for another. She has lots of ideas so that you can test out which ones work for your family. She inclues the history of the traditions and holidays, which adds dimension and meaning to celebrating them. This book is pro family togetherness, joy, meaningful time together and love. I highly recommend ...more
Meg
Jun 21, 2012 Meg rated it it was amazing
I just re-read this book for the 5th or 6th time, and it was just as inspiring as the first! I feel rejuvinated to continue to make the effort to create a warm, inviting home life for my family, filled with fun traditions! There are so many good ideas in this book without feeling preachy. I love all things old fashioned, and so I really relate to the style of the writing as well. I LOVE this book and keep it displayed on my hope chest in my bedroom.
Lisa
Nov 12, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Such a fun book! It was great to read about traditions that were common during Victorian times and also how holidays were celebrated then. I learned a lot about the history of holidays we still celebrate today and about holidays that aren't commonly practiced anymore (my favorites being Candlemas and New Year Open Houses). Overall, the book was a great reminder of the importance of families and creating traditions.
Melissa
Nov 04, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It's meant as a reference as ideas to do from month to month. Old fashioned, Victorian, simple holiday, festive, and day to day ideas to do each month to make bring the family closer together and have a more loving, united family environment. I'm going to buy it to have as a reference all year long.
Ellen
Dec 16, 2010 Ellen rated it really liked it
Great ideas through out the year to make family traditions. The traditions in the book are interesting and very Victorian, in a refreshing way. Break away from modern day traditions and adopt some that are full of "comfort and joy". Great Victorian illustrations.
Spinneretta
Sep 04, 2008 Spinneretta rated it really liked it
This books is filled with seasonal ideas for family togetherness. The ideas are sweet, some are based on Victorian traditions, some are based on more recent ideas. Her seasonal living traditions are worth looking at, and some are even worth doing ;)
Angelyn
Jan 29, 2008 Angelyn rated it it was amazing
This is just a fun, fix a cup of cocoa and sit in the tub read. It's written from the perspective of a Victorian age woman giving advice to mothers. She talks a lot about Victorian traditions. It's just fun.
Colleen
Sep 07, 2010 Colleen rated it really liked it
Lovely ideas from traditions of the past on how to incorporate new ways of celebrating the seasons and holidays with your family. Will definitely pick up again if I have a family!
Charity
Mar 05, 2008 Charity rated it really liked it
Was looking for ideas for traditions. This book had many good ones and it was really fun to see how Victorian life was from a homemaker's point of view.
Tiffany
Feb 24, 2010 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
This is another Favorite book! I get a lot of my holiday celebrating ideas. It is a great way to celebrate family! I think a true homemakers classic!
Donna
Dec 26, 2014 Donna rated it liked it
Old-fashioned and sweet with some good ideas for incorporating nice traditions into your family's life for each month of the year.
Mary
Mar 22, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Rereading this book, which I think I might do every couple of years. Love it!

Wonderful family traditions from an era sadly past.
Daune Robinson Calovini
Mar 07, 2012 Daune Robinson Calovini rated it it was amazing
Re-reading. I love this book. Getting ideas of things to do for home.
Liesl
Jul 17, 2008 Liesl rated it it was amazing
Fun things for a mom to incorporate in celebrations and activities.
Robin
Jul 12, 2008 Robin added it
This book is great, but her other books are said to be new-age(y).
Becky Carlson
Feb 04, 2011 Becky Carlson rated it really liked it
loved it so much,i have a copy.
Dottie
  • A Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House
  • Seasons of a Mothers Heart
  • Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Instructions for Homekeeping: Timeless Wisdom and Practical Advice
  • Mitten Strings for God: Reflections  for Mothers in a Hurry
  • The Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas
  • Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven
  • The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady
  • Onward and Upward in the Garden
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Living a Beautiful Life
  • All Year Round: Christian Calendar of Celebrations
  • Kitchen Essays
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Home Education
  • The Book of Stillmeadow (Stillmeadow, #2)
  • News from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #3)
In addition to SIMPLE ABUNDANCE, Sarah Ban Breathnach is the author of THE SIMPLE ABUNDANCE JOURNAL OF GRATITUDE, SOMETHING MORE, and MRS. SHARP'S TRADITIONS. She currently resides in California. Please visit her website at www.simpleabundance.com.
More about Sarah Ban Breathnach...