Start by marking “Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  1,809 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
From a professional for professionals, here is the definitive word on using grid systems in graphic design. Though Muller-Brockman first presented hi interpretation of grid in 1961, this text is still useful today for anyone working in the latest computer-assisted design. With examples on how to work correctly at a conceptual level and exact instructions for using all of t ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Ingram

Be the first to ask a question about Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung

Content Strategy for the Web by Kristina HalvorsonHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithDesigning with Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanWeb Form Design by Luke WroblewskiBulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm
An Event Apart
21st out of 44 books — 27 voters
Design Basics Index by Jim KrauseThe Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanThe Zen of CSS Design by Dave SheaThe Elements of Typographic Style by Robert BringhurstD.I.Y. by Ellen Lupton
Best Design Books
25th out of 82 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Aaron
Feb 23, 2011 Aaron rated it liked it
Oddly, this isn't the page-turner I expected. Thus far it's functioning more as an unintentionally hilarious Objet d′art. I tried to like this. I know it's important, every designer should read it, etc. That said, I found it outdated and less than captivating. A landmark publication when it came out, I hoped it would help out my sense of composition and add clarity to everything I create. No such luck for me. I may try out The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst and leave Müller-B ...more
Erica
Jun 22, 2007 Erica rated it really liked it
I would like to give this book a 3.5, actually, not quite a 4. I think it's really good, packed full of information, and actually pretty interesting to read, as long as you do it a little bit at a time. I do think though that it's a little over the top in insisting the grid is the only way to go, and a bit... insulting to those that choose not to use grids all the time. you sort of have to look past some of the very strong "grids are the best thing ever" statements and absorb the information.
David
Apr 11, 2007 David rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Graphic designers
Shelves: design
Read it in college and again in 2006-2007. Required reading for graphic designers.
Xavier
May 08, 2013 Xavier rated it it was amazing
Un libro de cajón para todo aquel que pretende saber algo de diseño.
Adam
Aug 16, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-design
Grid Systems in Graphic Design is a timeless classic that belongs on every designer and designer wannabee's bookshelf.

Ripe with visual examples, the book doesn't only provide you with a practical framework for design and layout for anything you might be working on (web, print, application development...), it goes the extra mile to explain in the perfect amount of detail why things affect their audience in particular ways, or why you should do things one way or another.

This book dissolves a lot
Daniel
Jun 06, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it
This is THE classic designers book on grid systems. I have a handful of grid-related books, and this one stands out and the most thorough and theoretical. Muller-Brockmann's explanations for why to make the decisions & thoughtful structure that he recommends is rare wisdom that I didn't get in my design education.

The book is dated in a wonderful way – very Midcentury Swiss. He starts off simple and then gets more and more complicated as the book progresses. I feel like his design isn't dire
Brian
Sep 13, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing
Grid Systems in Graphic Design by Josef Müller-Brockmann is another "must have" design book for anyone in print, web, whatever just read it. This book will take you through the proper use of the grid and familiarize you with the terminology and examples of grids used in the past.

Highly recommend A+
Daahoud Asante
Jun 25, 2015 Daahoud Asante rated it it was amazing
Another good book i bought more than a decade ago off of turntablelab....if this is your thing cop it, its a tool.
Douglas Fenstermacher
This book was very objective on giving specifications for using grid systems in print design and architectural design. Although it was written long before the internet, many of the concepts explained by the author are applicable to web and desktop application design. It contained many examples and included explanations on why the example was a good (or bad) example of grid-based design, which helps the reader develop a stronger understanding of grid design in practice. I would highly recommend t ...more
Tim Lindeman
Oct 10, 2014 Tim Lindeman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Incredible book. Beautifully printed in hardcover with black and red ink on soft fabric-like paper. The layout of the book is as interesting as its content. The book covers many topics from typography to history. It offers many examples as it explains simple grid systems that are very versatile. After reading, I feel like I understand enough to start creating my own grid system designs.
Wallace Chao
Apr 08, 2016 Wallace Chao rated it it was amazing
Nikolay Angelov
Nov 02, 2015 Nikolay Angelov rated it liked it
The most useful badly written book.
Alexandru Darie
Sep 28, 2014 Alexandru Darie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: typography, design
A must-have title for any designer.
Gigglepie
Jan 28, 2012 Gigglepie rated it it was amazing
Whoaaaaa, this book is off the chizain.

The first half of the book lays down some very simple ground rules for grids that anyone can immediately understand and benefit from. Unlike a lot of text books, it does an excruciatingly excellent job of explaining its lessons and reasoning. It's concise and extremely informative. The second half of the book gets into more complex grid systems and ways of seeing them.

The book provides lots of great explanations, and the book itself is laid out beautifully
RS'S
Oct 02, 2015 RS'S added it
MUST READ BASIC
Abhishek
Nov 10, 2012 Abhishek rated it it was amazing
Recommended by a designer friend this week. He isn't wrong in labelling it as a classic. The book is as honest as it could be. It balances practical advice, historical perspective, philosophy with a plethora of good examples to look, observe and most importantly think about. If you practice creation of things visual in nature, go grab a read. If you're a self-taught practioner of design, make sure you do. This won't bore you with maxims, commandments or such fixated rules.

I'll read it again when
Laycee
Dec 06, 2007 Laycee rated it really liked it
A must read for all graphic designers. The systematic grids and margins explained in this book are extremely tight. It definitely lays a solid foundation of the grid system, but it's too extreme, to the point that it's over doing it. I definitely don't recommend anyone to follow the grids, this book is simply a tool to get exposed to working with the grid. To do any creative designs, please get out of these grids!
Celena
Aug 06, 2014 Celena rated it liked it
This is a good resource for graphic designers specializing in editorial design and brand identity. The book explores the application of the grid in 3D so industrial designers and architects will find this useful as well.
I think this book is written well as far as reference books go. The countless redundancies, though, made it a little hard to read.
Jeff
Apr 12, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it
This was definitely written by a German in the 60s. Very...structured. Some very useful ideas, especially for people just getting into design. Rules are good. I just wish the latest edition of the book, published in 2007, would have included some less dated examples. I'm sure I'll be able to find some current examples of the grid system on the Internet.
Guilherme Gontijo
Dec 19, 2015 Guilherme Gontijo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-design
Grids.

GRIDS EVERYWHERE.
Sara
Jul 04, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
this is the essential, original book on grid systems from the master swiss designer josef müller-brockmann. all design students should buy this book if you want to learn about how to organize content and type in a beautifully visual and modern way.
Justin Cormack
Jun 09, 2008 Justin Cormack rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
I love modernism and what came out of it. You may as well go back to the originals for a subject like this. Get it without the subject being watered down with any idea that there is a choice. And in English and German on the same page.
Adam Allport
Nov 18, 2013 Adam Allport rated it it was amazing
I found this book really useful. A great read and I have really developed an understanding of the importance of the grid. Really useful examples, which have generated a lot of ideas. I highly recommend this book.
Marty
Mar 29, 2009 Marty rated it liked it
Definitely a handy reference for layout projects. I am kind of disturbed how its written like a "One-True Faith" kind of system as if there is only one methodology for tackling layout
Stanislav Grinapol
Sep 15, 2011 Stanislav Grinapol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
This is the oldest and most comprehensive book on grid systems. This goes into great detail about establishing gutter type size columns and rows for achieving balance in design.
Andrea
Nov 27, 2007 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: designers
Shelves: daily-tools
It may look dry, but this book lets a designer see all the potential of grid systems, whether or not their final design uses one from the myriad of options presented.
Ilias
Jan 18, 2016 Ilias rated it really liked it
An absolute, timeless masterpiece of grid systems, graphic design (and typography).
Corinne
Nov 26, 2007 Corinne rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book on the creation and use of grids in typography and design. It
Sean
Oct 15, 2014 Sean rated it really liked it
Dated but decent introduction to grids and their use in graphic design.
Widgets &
Jan 26, 2011 Widgets & rated it really liked it
A very useful guide to using grid systems in design from one of the masters.
  • Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • The Complete Manual of Typography
  • Make It Bigger
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web
  • Graphic Design: A Concise History (World of Art)
  • Graphic Design: The New Basics
  • Marks of Excellence
  • As Little Design as Possible
  • Visual Grammar

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »