Start by marking “Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3) ” as Want to Read:
Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)

Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3) (Chronicles of the Raven #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  878 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The third volume of James Barclay's bestselling Chronicles of The Raven sees Raven set against Raven as Balaia faces up to the threat of the One magic unified in one person: the five-year-old daughter of Erienne and Denser of The Raven. Barclay has made a trademark of blistering pace, superbly described action and characters who, with their flaws, humour and dedication to ...more
Published November 13th 2008 by Gollancz (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)

Janelle Lanthrum
This is not Barclay’s best work. As usual the characters are good and the relationships between them are strong and believable. I love the complex relationship between the members and how past events aren’t simple forgotten.

The problem is the plot. While action packed, it hinges on all the characters failing to ask the very obvious questions. Let’s start with the dragons. At the end of the last book, three Kaan dragons were trapped in Balaia, which is completely unsuitable and is now killing the
Matteo Pellegrini

Sono passati cinque anni da quando il gruppo di mercenari conosciuto come il Corvo ha neutralizzato gli effetti del terribile incantesimo Rubaurora. Cinque anni di pace, che hanno consentito all'Ignoto e ai suoi compagni di riprendere un'esistenza normale, e alla maga Erienne e al mago Denser di coronare il loro sogno d'amore con la nascita di una bellissima bambina, Lyanna. Ma quell'immensa gioia rischia di diventare una spaventosa minaccia per il mondo di Balaia. La piccola, infatti, è dotata

Kelly Flanagan
Well for any of you out there that read my review of the first book of this series I humbly apologize for my lack of brain cells. I started reading a series that comes way after and was written way after this series which is, I might add his first. I definitively came down hard saying this didn't seem like the same author and was despondent that his series varied so radically. I was viewing things wrong. Having finished this most excellent series I see a growing artist refine his art. And refini ...more
Michele (Mikecas)
Da:

Una trilogia fantasy che avevo scartato quando era stata pubblicata dalla Nord, anche se era un periodo in cui acquistavo quasi tutto quello che ritenevo perlomeno leggibile. Ma una rapida occhiata al primo volume mi aveva convinto che il livello di leggibilità era raggiunto con difficoltà, o non raggiunto del tutto. Li ho letti ora, in una versione digitale, per verificare quella mia sensazione, e devo effettivamente confermarla in toto.
Si tratta di un
Ziburan
Het slot van de trilogie over de Raven.
Een misser om mee te beginnen is het feit dat de vertaler (een andere dan van de eerste 2 boeken) niet de moeite heeft genomen de eerste twee boeken in het Nederlands te lezen. Hierdoor zijn enkele termen anders vertaald. Voorbeeld: Xeteskiër is nu Xeteskaan. Ook staan er (vooral in het begin) redelijk wat fouten (tikfouten en grammaticafouten), kennelijk is de vertaling van dit boek niet goed geredigeerd. Genoeg mensen die zich er niet aan zullen storen, m
Clay
“Nightchild” (Pyr, $16, 400 pages) takes more than a willing suspension of disbelief to make sense of what happens. But first, the background: This is book three in the Chronicles of the Raven, and the Raven is a small group of warriors and magicians who save the world while trying to keep from fighting with each other. That leads to the first suspension of disbelief, a common one in such books, and relatively easily digested: The Raven may get wounded, but they are so skilled and talented as wa ...more
Reni
I'm tempted to give a fourth star, but I can't ignore that this book has problems.

Especially the pacing of the first half is odd, the book is switching between too many point-of-view characters too quickly. Sometimes for a paragraphs not even four lines long. And that's not in the action scenes, but in the stage when the book is still (re)introducing us to the setting and building up exposition. It makes it hard to really delve into the story and lose yourself in it. For me the book didn't pick

It was a nail biter! A page turner packed full of action from cover to cover. And while swords were rarely sheathed, blood flew like water, and magic whizzed about, the story ran much deeper than just another action fairy-tale. It was such a sad and touching ending to the Chronicles of the Raven trilogy: Heartbreaking really.

But it’s not really over, not yet anyways. I can’t wait to hunker down with the next quadrilogy:Legends of the Raven, Yea!

I have to say it again: The one thing I love most

Xkander
La terza puntata delle Cronache del Corvo ci riporta su Balaia, cinque anni dopo la fine dell'invasione degli Occadi.
Troviamo l'Ignoto di nuovo alla Colonia dei Corvi, sposato e papà affettuoso di un bimbo; Hirad al servizio dei suoi amati Kaan, ed Ilkar alle prese con la ricostruzione di Julatsa.
L'avvio della storia sono la fuga di Erienne con la figlioletta Lyanna, con l'inconsapevole dono dell'Unica Via e la ricostituzione del Corvo, per aiutare Denser a ritrovare e salvare moglie e figlia
Manuel G.
Le prime 250 pagine sono come un lago, da solcare placidamente. Poi precipita tutto, in un vortice improvviso di scontri e calamità che puntano prepotenti verso il climax.

Un neo presente in tutta la trilogia sono i personaggi, incerti nella peculiarità e deboli nell’esprimere la profondità dei loro sentimenti, probabilmente il compito più arduo per qualsivoglia narratore. Non sono riuscito a provare empatia con nessuno di loro, per non dire che spesso ho faticato a sopportarne azioni e pensieri.
Tbloxham
Bertrand
Non qu'Ombremage soit un échec, mais le souffle d'Aubemort retombe peu à peu et on finit par s'habituer aux Ravens.
Comme pour les deux premiers tomes, il s'agit toujours à nos mercenaires de sauver le monde.
Aubemort avait été épique et rentre-dedans, Noirzénith tentait (avec plus ou moins de succès) de donner de la profondeur à l'univers et de théoriser la magie et la mécanique des plans dimensionnels. Quant à Ombremage ? Pas grand chose à se mettre sous la dent.
Finissons sur une note positive
Luciano De benedictis
people who read also the two previous books have to finish the trilogy in every case. but this book is
not, not bad. Barclay managed the difficult stand to evolve and age the old charachters without making them new ones. the fights are his speciality, he writes every blow, every foot moved, without being redundant. you would be disappointed when you expect a typical trilogy ending, but remember James wrote another trilogy, here in italy we are still waiting.
SPOILER:oh, yeah, thraun, the ol' wolf.
Andrea Miles
I loved the story- a young child has all types of magic in her mind but she is too young to control it forcing her mother to flee with her to those who can help. However there are people out there to stop them. It is up to The Raven to find them before the others do. Meanwhile Balaia is being torn apart by earthquakes and weather.

Th main problem with the book is that it tails off at the end & the end is a bit of an anti-climax.

All in all though an enjoyable read
Ireth Seregon
I only liked the in depth view of Julatsa as my favorite character Ilkar is there. Love the fight scenes, morality, conscience playing out... except really heavy at the end. I think it's influenced by someone dear to the author passing away too. Begins the downfall of the heroes, and tragedy, injustice unfolds consequently...
For pple who are realists and can take grief without depression. I was quite depressed with this and the next one.
Katie
Amazing book, but a horrible end to a series - too many loose ends. Thankfully there is another series to follow it up, and I'm looking forward to starting that one again (now that i know what the heck is going on).

As always, I loved the writing style, the plot, and the characters. This author has some serious talent. Too bad his books are so hard to get a hold of because he's a British author.
Pesto
Well... Its just ok. I found myself wanting to like the characters but really - here we are in the 3rd book and they still act like a bunch of children. The writing is mediocre at best and pretty flat. I wanted to scream everytime I hear Ilkar say.. "come on Unknown"... ughh.. what a bad name!

anyway... wish I enjoyed it more.. I wanted to .. really... but just couldn't in the end.
Pedro Quaresma
I almost get the impression James Barclay wanted to write two books but for some reason (contract?) was forced to write three. Nightchild occurs several years after the first two (excellent) books. Some of the main characters remain the same but the story itself seems rushed and unlinked to the other books. There is little here of what made the first two books so good and original.
Mphecker
Though it ends the first trilogy of the Raven, this book has a very different tone than the first two, in my opinion. Nevertheless, Barclay's final Chronicles of the Raven book was very solid, with an ending that can definitely be categorized as bittersweet. A strong finish to a great trilogy, and I can't wait to read the next series, Legends of the Raven.
Shinew
This book takes place a little while after the end of Noonshade, and is, once again, an epic book. Adds a new form of magic to the stories world & showing more of the world. Once again, the characters have amusing interactions with one another, and the plot is still incredibly unique & original
Vojtěch
Inu, pořád stále stejně čtivé a záživné, ale nakonec se z toho vyklubal průměrný díl, který mne trochu zklamal. Oproti předchozímu druhému dílu je chudší.
Více v připravované recenzi na Fantasyi ;)
Tal
i love this series.

engaging characters, a complicated world, believeable dialogue. all-round fun fantasy.
Benjamin
Thought this would be the end of the series, but Barclay left everything very open ended.
Daniel King
Took a while to get going and to determine the good/bad split.
tiailds
That was a horrible ending. Almost as bad as Elric.
Rob Davies
The best series of books i have read to date!
Kate
Amazing... just grabbing the next one
Meh 2 8 Mar 28, 2013 04:59PM
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
  • The Righteous Blade (Dreamtime, #2)
  • Das Fjordland  (Elfenritter, #3)
  • Shadow (Scavenger, #1)
  • Thirteen Years Later (The Danilov Quintet,  #2)
  • Fall of Thanes (The Godless World, #3)
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • The Hawk Eternal (The Hawk Queen, #2)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • The White Luck Warrior (Aspect-Emperor, #2)
  • The Alchemist in the Shadows (Les Lames du Cardinal, #2)

Chronicles of the Raven (3 books)
  • Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1)
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1) Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2) Elfsorrow (Legends of the Raven, #1) Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2) Demonstorm (Legends of the Raven, #3)