Start by marking “Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions, and Haunted Places of the Battlefield” as Want to Read:

Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions, and Haunted Places of the Battlefield (Ghosts of Gettysburg #1)

Stories about ghost of Gettysburg battlefield.
Published October 1st 1991 by Thomas Publications (PA) (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of Gettysburg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of Gettysburg

Shellys♥ Journal
I read this book about 15 years ago after I visited Gettysburg for the first time. It's a quaint little collection of stories collected by the author. He writes as though he is sitting down with you and sharing the stories. Some of the experiences are his own, but most are collected from his time working at Gettysburg as a park ranger. Not all ghost stories relate to the battle. The book has a nice little map on the back cover that shows where the locations are for each of the stories.

Kind of a
Will Hoover
Let's see; a book packed with Civil War history AND ghost stories! What more could anyone ask for? Well, a little romance, I suppose. A good mystery? Maybe the never-ending quest to answer so many of those vexing questions about what actually happens when we die. Wait! All that stuff really IS in Mark Nesbitt's Ghosts of Gettysburg! Well... it's no romance novel, to be sure, but let's be honest, most good collections of true ghost stories usually feature a tale or two of unrequited love.

Okay, ok
Chris
The stories are interesting but not wholly engrossing.

I have to ask though, does every single college have a story about a boy that was left outside of the dorm by girls and froze to death? Gettysburg College has one, the college I went to has one, the community college where I work has one (which is strange because there are not dorms). And why is it always girls? I mean I can understand my old school, it was an all girls school at the time, but the others?
Wendy
Aug 04, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Very well written and provides excellent history in to the events that occurred in Gettysburg.
Tiffany Day
Nov 03, 2012 Tiffany Day rated it liked it
If you've seen Nesbitt in any of the Ghostly shows that have been airing since the '90s, you've probably already heard most of these tales... so, I have to admit I turned to skimming once I was a few chapters into it. He certainly has knowledge of the area and the battle; however, the writing style is definitely more informative than entertaining and suspenseful. If you're into Gettysburg, the Civil War, and ghostly research, this book is for you (and I'd say for this purpose it deserve 4+ stars ...more
Martin
Sep 14, 2015 Martin rated it really liked it
A very concise telling of spirits, apparitions and haunted places of the battlefield. A very quick read although I must say was spooked out by reading it in the middle of a bright sunny day (although I was actually in a cemetery at the time!!!)
James Bowman
Aug 29, 2015 James Bowman rated it liked it
An adequate collection of ghost stories, though the emphasis of the book seems to tilt slightly more towards battlefield history than hauntings. The final story in the collection is the creepiest. (B)
Jacci
May 31, 2015 Jacci rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed very much, have been able to visit Gettysburg and been to areas he has mentioned in this book.
Alex
Apr 13, 2008 Alex rated it it was ok
I bought this in Springfield, IL for the benefit of amusement. There are some interesting facts about Gettysburg embedded in Nesbitt's ghost stories that are worthy of knowing. As for the actual paranormal tales... they're testimonials of people who've supposedly experienced something strange and poorly written to boot.

Also, Nesbitt likes to ponder the paranormal after relating a story which makes the reading that much more hokey.

Take it for what it's worth: innocent fun.
DeAnne
Jan 01, 2014 DeAnne rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of ghost story book that I love to read. It was well written and full of history. The writing is very dense, so it can take some time to get through it, but the stories are rich and compelling. I wish I had all of the books in this series, but will have to content myself with the first two for now.
Elle
May 15, 2016 Elle rated it really liked it
A collection of stories gathered by the author about the 'ghosts' haunting Gettysburg. Contains a variety of different tales, revealing some of the history of the place alongside some of the more supernatural events, mixing the author's own experiences with those of others. An interesting read, sometimes creepy, sometimes almost sweet, and well worth a read by anyone interested in the paranormal.
Mimi
Apr 15, 2014 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on the aftermath of the Civil War and its effects on Gettysburg now.
Ginger
Sep 08, 2015 Ginger rated it liked it
Enjoyable. Not too scary, but scary enough that I wouldn't read it if I were alone in the house. I'm a chicken, what can I say? The pictures which are included in the book were nice. Since my daughter lives close to Gettysburg, I want to try to visit some of the places mentioned the next time I go for a visit.
Strawfoot
Oct 29, 2009 Strawfoot rated it did not like it
uh yeah, i've been curious about this book per my love of the Civil War and this particular battle. That being said, I would never pay for it. In comes paperback exchange and voila, free, well sort of of. Oh boy was it bad.
Gloria
Mar 20, 2008 Gloria rated it really liked it
Read this before our visit to Gettysburg NP. If you like ghosts/creepy happenings this is for you. Made me wonder as I hiked the trails on the battlefield 'who' was watching me and my family. FUN read.
Ryan Adams
Sep 24, 2007 Ryan Adams rated it did not like it
The amount of ghost stories that were made up by the guides from his tours were amazing.....not that the guides ever made up stories, or that I ever included my roommates in my stories.....
Jim Laferriere
Feb 15, 2014 Jim Laferriere rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spirited

I like history and the unexplained. most enjoyable I will read the others. this book has no military value purely entertainment.
Shauna Hayrynen
Sep 05, 2013 Shauna Hayrynen rated it it was ok
interesting because of its historical and informative content - not necesssily suspensful or what I'd expect from a "ghost" story book.
James Wazorick
Oct 29, 2013 James Wazorick rated it did not like it
No steak and little sizzle. Poorly written and more speculation and imagination than anything else.
Erin Estes
Jul 30, 2011 Erin Estes rated it liked it
You'd think his writing would be a little better for an English Lit major...
Steve
Aug 09, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing
A great variety of stories both from the Civil War and from the college.
Janice
Aug 02, 2010 Janice rated it liked it
A fun read, but not exactly great literature.
Heather Michele
Jun 26, 2012 Heather Michele rated it it was amazing
Awesome for Gettysburg fans and paranormal fans!
Sherri Smith
Mar 02, 2014 Sherri Smith rated it really liked it
Great history shared with the stories!
Aaron Rubenic
Aaron Rubenic rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Barry Miller
Barry Miller rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Carrie Smith
Carrie Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Thakur Ajay Singh
Thakur Ajay Singh marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Tricia Thompson
Tricia Thompson marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Halloween, horror lovers... 1 5 Aug 03, 2009 01:06PM
  • Haunted America
  • Weird Pennsylvania
  • Ghosts: True Encounters from the World Beyond
  • Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • I Never Believed in Ghosts Until . . .
  • Lee The Last Years
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • The World of the Celts
  • Gettysburg--The First Day
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • How to Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's Guide
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Haunted Heartland
  • Bayonet! Forward: My Civil War Reminiscences
  • Haunted Ohio III: Still More Ghostly Tales from the Buckeye State
19835
Mark Nesbitt was a National Park Service Ranger/Historian for five years at Gettysburg before starting his own research and writing company. Since then he has published fourteen books including the national award-winning Ghosts of Gettysburg series. His stories have been seen on The History Channel, A&E, The Discovery Channel, The Travel Channel, Unsolved Mysteries, and numerous regional telev ...more
More about Mark Nesbitt...

Ghosts of Gettysburg (7 books)
  • More Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Ghosts of Gettysburg III: Spirits, Apparitions, and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Ghosts of Gettysburg IV:  Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Ghosts of Gettysburg V: Spirits, Apparitions, and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Ghosts of Gettysburg VI: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places on the Battlefield
  • Ghosts of Gettysburg VII: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places on the Battlefield