Start by marking “The Adventures of Tintin in the Congo (Tintin, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Tintin in the Congo (Tintin, #2)

The Adventures of Tintin in the Congo (Tintin, #2)

2.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This is a reproduction of the original black and white edition.

The Adventures of Tintin in the Congo is the second entry in the beloved Tintin series, first published in 1930. This time the irrepressible Belgian heads for the Congo and gets involved in all manner of intrigue. He learns of a conspiracy by a group of American gangsters to take over diamond production with t
Published November 28th 2002 by Last Gasp (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Tintin in the Congo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Tintin in the Congo

Justwinter
Nov 02, 2009 Justwinter rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, comics
In the second Tintin adventure, Tintin in the Congo, we again join the young reporter as he travels abroad, in search of stories and a good bit of hunting.

As with the first Tintin story, Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, this work shows how dramatically and drastically Herge's work developed and changed over time. These two earliest books show a rougher, more cartoonish style, as well as more simplistic writing.

Tintin in the Congo isn't recognized as part of the main canon, as in this early Her
Maria
Jul 31, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it
Written in 1931, published in color and extensively modified in 1946. Colonialist and racist, however is a popular story in Congo. Hergé meets the request of his editor concerning an easy, full of clichés and purely propagandistic story.
It should be read contextualizing the time it was written: 1931, in a paternalistic and colonialist society. Today is unacceptable but also is part of our history.

Escrita en 1931, publicada en color y ampliamente modificad
Peter Greenwell
Jan 29, 2016 Peter Greenwell rated it liked it
I've read all of the Tintin books but this is the only one I've added to Goodreads (so far) as it's the only complete Tintin work I've not read until now (at least in English). Years ago, in school, I struggled with the French original, translation dictionary in hand, and of course the story made minimal sense due to my poor understanding of the language.

But this is the original 1930s story translated into English. Story-wise, it's a complete mess but so was Land of the Soviets. It's also a comp
Matti Karjalainen
May 20, 2012 Matti Karjalainen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tintti-harrastajat
Hergén "The Adventures of Tintin in the Congo" (Casterman, 2002) on järjestyksessään toinen Tintti-tarina. Sarjakuva julkaistiin alun perin jatkokertomuksena Le Petit Vingtième -lehdessä vuosina 1930-1931, jolloin Kongo oli vielä Belgian siirtomaa.

Seikkailu on vuosien aikana saanut osakseen jos jonkinlaista rasismisyytöstä. Sarjakuvaa ei voikaan pitää poliittisesti turhan korrektina, vaan enemmänkin aikakautensa lapsena, jota tekijä myöhemmin tahtoi muokata uuteen uskoon.

Castermanin tyylikäs, ko
Ankana
Dec 27, 2015 Ankana rated it did not like it
I have been wanting to read this for a while and finally managed to get to it this evening. I understand why this book was banned. I have been a fan of Tintin since I was five. So, I found it difficult to accept this weird avatar of my favourite fictional reporter. The hunting scenes and the racial content were disturbing. But even if one does not focus on those elements, no part of this tale feels like much of an adventure anyway. Sigh!
Namitha Varma
Oct 11, 2015 Namitha Varma rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This was slightly better than the first one in terms of evolution of character, the drawings, and plot, but the racism, the attitude towards animals... *shudder*.
Mahmed Sewidan
Feb 21, 2016 Mahmed Sewidan rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
بتعكس عنصرية الاوروبين ووحشيتهم ضد السود والحيوانات
Fatima Alsuwaidi
Dec 21, 2014 Fatima Alsuwaidi rated it liked it
it was really funny, but i didn't enjoy it that much.hope the rest is better
Swanand
totally racist
Martyn
There were some hints in this book of the pace and fun of the future Tintin stories but overall this was just as appalling as '...in the land of the Soviets'. Very much improved artwork though, which obviously continues to progress through the rest of the series.

Don't read this if you simply 'like' Tintin or you're curious after the movie, read it only to complete your Tintin reading - 'Soviets' and 'Congo' can easily be read as standalones after the rest of the series.
Rachel
Jul 30, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2011, africa, comix
It's hard to know what grade to give something you read as a historical artifact, but I think 2 stars is fair. I mean, why would the villain tie Tintin up and dangle him above the river, and then later tie him up and put him in a canoe on the river, but not just tie him up and throw him in the river?! Come on. (Also, flagrant animal murder and emphatic racism, but I knew that was the price of admission.)
Rocky Sunico
Jan 20, 2016 Rocky Sunico rated it liked it
Very early Herge indeed. Not too strong an overall story but instead a series of (mis)adventures. And yes, a lot of crude humor and racial stereotypes, which contributes as to why this comic isn't published in some markets.
Bronwyn
Jul 26, 2016 Bronwyn rated it did not like it
I stopped reading it part way through because the words, images and concepts were just too racist
David
Sep 18, 2015 David rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one alive regardless of their sins
I loathed this book. Tintin is a Great White Hunter who kills an elephant for its tusks, shoots a monkey for its pelt, and is worshipped as a god by several native villages.
Snow White
Mar 12, 2013 Snow White rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013, comic
Why did I promise my daughters to read all The Tintin?????
It used to be so funny. Anyway, this was just another black & white version.
I hope the next volume will be better.
Ian
Sep 23, 2011 Ian rated it did not like it
Interesting as an historic reference point, I suppose. Tintin has come a long way since then.
Sasha
Sasha added it
Aug 21, 2016
Pratyush Das
Pratyush Das rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Mehul Jain
Mehul Jain rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2016
Dobby
Dobby rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Yasmin
Yasmin rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Jul 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics
More about Hergé...