Start by marking “La Tapadera” as Want to Read:
La Tapadera

La Tapadera

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  13,425 Ratings  ·  707 Reviews
Brimming with heart-pounding suspense and legal intrigue, the novel that placed John Grisham on the literary map forever changed the way the public looks at the law. In "The Firm", a young attorney is drawn to a successful law firm in Memphis where the perks are good--but the secrets are deadly.
Published August 5th 2008 by Random House Mondadori (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about La Tapadera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Tapadera

Dan Martin
Oct 20, 2014 Dan Martin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ...
it's not that this book necessarily deserves a 1, being the worst score possible, but... it's just so fucking dumb. I only finished it because I'm stuck in between 4 rice fields in japan, and the only reading I had available in english was. well. the label on my pepsi bottle.
IF you happen to be a 40-50 year old (white)man, and like reading about "6 figures", then I'll understand you liking this book.
Hhere's a taste.

"And, don't worry McDeere (former star college quarterback), The firm will front
Brian
Sep 11, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, 2016, grisham
I loved this book. This book belongs in the same category with the ones you can’t put down, and you curl in a corner, shaking with red eyes and a gaunt frame from malnutrition. Grisham developed the characters well and developed the plot with skill of a master storyteller. I noticed some similarities with Stephen King’s style, such as using a reference to the object with “the” instead of “a” (the “coffee table sat alone in the room,” “the man sat at the bar”), and he refers to people with nickn ...more
Brooke Hargett
Jan 07, 2011 Brooke Hargett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was fantastic! Loved every second of it. A few weeks ago it came on TV and I was saying "this is a great movie!" but within minutes I realized I had NOT seen it! I was thinking of A Few Good Men! Who knew I had never seen The Firm?? My husband said he'd read it years ago and it was one of the best books he'd ever read. So, I DVRd the movie and went to get the book (I didn't watch the movie yet, but I've heard it was a disappointment from the book... of course right???)

I seriously could
Dawn Quarles
Nov 09, 2016 Dawn Quarles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On of my favorite books ever.
Roya
DNF at p.64

Whenever I have problems, I resort to reading fiction. This usually seems to assuage the pain that is reality, but sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes the plot is so banal and unexciting that you just put your book down, stare at the ceiling, and think about every single thing that can possibly go wrong over the next sixty years.

So I only started reading this because I can't handle seeing a movie first if it's based on a book.

And my parents want to see the movie adaptation of this wi
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Firm, John Grisham
عنوان: شرکت؛ نویسنده: جان گریشام؛ مترجم: مرجان رزم آرا؛ تهران، سپنج، 1373؛ در 572 ص؛ چاپ دوم 1375؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی - قرن 20 م
عنوان: شرکت؛ نویسنده: جان گریشام؛ مترجم: فریده مهدوی دامغانی؛ تهران، البرز، 1373؛ در 631 ص؛ چاپ دوم 1376؛ چاپ دیگر: 1395؛ در 636 ص؛ شابک: 9644420594؛
با اقتباس از این رمان، فیلمی به کارگردانی «سیدنی پولاک» و بازی «تام کروز» ساخته شده و نیز سریالی تلویزیونی در 22 قسمت
Julianne
Jul 29, 2012 Julianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I recently realized 1) I've never read any of John Grisham's novels and 2) that's a shame. So I picked this up at the library a couple trips ago, when I found myself browsing in the G's. Why The Firm rather than The Client or The Associate? My grandfather, a former lawyer, happened to mention it in a conversation a couple months ago, so the title was on my mind.

My main impression is that this is the kind of pulp that no one will read 100 years from now (thank goodness). It reminded me very stron
Chris
Snap! I forgot all about Grisham when I putting in the crap books - thanks Conrad. Summer of '92, we were staying in a cabin off Devil's Lake in Michigan near my aunt's; I finished off the books I'd read and was unable to convince anyone in my family to play "D-Day To the Rhine", the WW2 strategy game I bought in Anarbor, but luckily my aunt had stocked our cabin with a whole slew of Grisham.

I think I read this in a day, and since the last paragraph was pure memoir that has nothing to do with th
سمية عبد العزيز

تحذير: لا تقرأ الملخص الخلفي لأنه يحرق مفاجأة الرواية*

فكرة الرواية مختلفة, طالب في قسم المحاماة, من الأوائل على دفعته, يتلقى عروض عمل من أكبر الشركات, لكن أحد العروض كان فوق مختلف عن كل العروض الأخرى

سيحبها كل من يميل لروايات الإثارة والأكشن
حولت إلى فيلم بنفس إسم الرواية الإنجليزي
the firm
Mark Sullivan
Apr 08, 2010 Mark Sullivan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Peg
Feb 18, 2012 Peg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Firm by John Grisham. This audio book was provided to me free-of-charge by GoodReads, FirstReads. This is a long (17 hours) audio book that took me a while to listen to since I listen only when I'm in my car. Luckily, I had seen the movie starring Tom Cruise way back in 1993 or 1994, so was able to remember enough what the movie was about and that made it easy to keep up with what was happening since I was listening to it sporadically.

Enough has been said about the plot so I won't go into th
Megan (bookslayerReads)
This was my very first John Grisham book and I absolutely loved it. At first I wasn't sure whether or not I would enjoy it strictly because of it being based on a law firm. Yawn, seems kind of boring to me. But in actuality, this was probably one of the best books I've come across in a long time. Yes, it is titled "The Firm", therefore it is about a law firm and lawyers, but without all the boring law stuff and lawyer mumbo-jumbo that you would think would go along with that title. It was a very ...more
Cynthia
Jan 24, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! Enjoyed this one even if I am 20 years behind! Look forward to seeing the movie as well. I am sure everyone knows the story so I will say I almost figured I would just watch the movie but this book was my favorite Grisham since I read "A Time to Kill" when it originally came out. It was an exciting read that kept you wanting to keep reading to see what this poor young couple would be put through next! Just imagine if everything you did or said was being listened to! If you are ...more
Linda Strawn
Jan 22, 2016 Linda Strawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a gift to me from my friend Sheri for my birthday. I read it while on a Florida vacation while my friend Kelly was reading it too and was also on vacation with me. It got me started reading! It was my first and only John Grisham. Loved the book....hated the movie. There are some times in the book were you go, "hmmmmm". But overall I really enjoyed it.
Jonetta
Sep 15, 2011 Jonetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Grisham novel and I literally could not put this book down. The pace was breathtaking and I couldn't predict what would happen from page to page. The movie is somewhat different and there are aspects of the plot in the book that you don't want to miss.

Great read if you like high mystery and suspense.
Jr Bacdayan
I fell in love with Grisham because of this book. A page turner till the very end.
Maciek
"The Firm" kept me wanting to know how it will end, and isn't it the purpose of a good thriller ?
Cátia Santos
Dec 26, 2014 Cátia Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Há muitos anos vi o filme e gostei muito! O livro também não desiludiu...
Adrian Găinaru
Jan 22, 2017 Adrian Găinaru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firma este un roman de actiune, thriller cum spun anglofilii si il are ca protagonist pe un tanar avocat, pe numele sau Mitchell McDeere.
In apropierea finalizarii facultatii de drept la Harvard cu cateva oferte de serviciu in buzunarul tinutei cu care se prezenta la un nou interviu, tanarul asteapta finalizarea etapelor preliminare de recrutare la o firma micuta de provincie, dar a carei oferta salariala suna bine de tot. Interesat sa astepte sa compare of
Shravanthi Kripa
Mar 13, 2015 Shravanthi Kripa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Firm by John Grisham:

Mitchell McDeere, fresh out of Harvard Law school is elated when he is offered a job by Bendini, Lambert & Locke. The folks at the Firm are more than willing to offer him a huge salary, plus mortgage and a brand-new BMW, provided he moves to the relatively subdued Memphis City. It is not long before the McDeeres move to Memphis for a new luxurious life.

But is life simple for any lawyer? One fine day, Mitch gets a mysterious visitor, claiming to be the FBI. Mitc
Heather
Feb 16, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who likes suspense and doesn't care that the plot is completely absurd
Shelves: adult
This is the stupidest book I've ever actually wanted to finish reading. The suspense was fun, but the plot was just ridiculous. It was just completely preposterous. There were so many unbelievable plot points that I started taking notes (definitely spoilers though I don't think I recommend the book anyway):

1. He is a loving husband w/a great sex life - him cheating was completely unbelievable

2. I do not think the mob would recruit unsuspecting lawyers to their cause. Therefore, the whole premise
Eric Althoff
Aug 08, 2007 Eric Althoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still remember being barely 15 years old and walking home from the late bus with "The Firm" in hand, walking the half-mile home while reading, unable to put it down and delaying getting started on my homework until the chapter was done.

While "A Time to Kill" put John Grisham on the map, "The Firm" solidified his reputation as one of contemporary fiction's most bestselling yard-spinners. Many dismiss him as a pop hack who got lucky, but "The Firm" is suspense of the highest possible caliber. G
Brandon
Mar 25, 2016 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Conspiracy theorists
The Firm is a first-rate ride. John Grisham, the author, spends some time at the beginning of the novel showing the backstory that becomes essential later down the road. Not only Grisham's first success in novel writing, The Firm, in its protagonist Mitch McDeere, starts from the bottom himself and becomes a successful attorney. It is the comparison between Grisham and McDeere that gives a special insight into the development of McDeere. Fact and fiction mirror each other. Most assuredly, the co ...more
Christian Scala
Mar 02, 2012 Christian Scala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-thriller
Grisham, fu una scoperta e lettura giovanile, mi ricordo che allora scoppiò il genere "legal-thriller", un po' come adesso in libreria si trovano solo vampiri, o quando era la moda degli scrittori norvegesi. A ogni tempo, la sua moda. Allora andava parecchio questo tipo di romanzi e lui ne fu il capostipite, anche se vedo che adesso sono pochi i suoi entusiasti fans.

In ogni caso, questo fu il primo di questo autore che lessi (ricordo anche che esiste il film con un Tom Cruise molto giovane), e m
anne
Mar 22, 2014 anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bbw-2012
I've read two Grisham's YA book and loved it. I was nervous starting his adult fiction book but I knew I would love it anyways and I do. I like his writing style; not too dragging and the details explanation is not too long and painful. His book is definitely a page-turner. Every chapter keeps you wondering how the heck it's going to end.

I have always liked smart character and Mitch is smart. A bit too fictional too I guess. He's a fresh-grad lawyer but he's so good at planning an escape which
Russ
Oct 24, 2008 Russ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Nastassja Piletskaya
Эту внушительную книжку я прочла за два дня, ибо не оторваться. Автор кроме того, что отличную историю закрутил, так ещё и описал её захватывающе интересно. Не книга, а кино. Не читайте аннотаций, описаний. Просто простите 10листов и попытайтесь оторваться.
Tfitoby
Jul 08, 2012 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-fiction
Back when I was 12 I must have read this book a dozen times, I thought it was fantastic, compared to the kids books I'd been reading to this point it was mind expanding; suddenly here was a world with guns and money and women and the good guy finally comes good right at the end with an ingenious plan. Grisham's other books never really had the same effect, infact as I got older his novels seemed to get less interesting, until I realised it probably wasn't him getting lazier.

Yeah dumb thrillers a
Francisco
Dec 29, 2015 Francisco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novela
Me gustó mucho la historia, no he leído muchos libros de suspenso y nada de Grisham hasta ahora pero me parece un gran género porque te anima a seguir leyendo y nunca sabes lo que va a pasar. Tampoco tiene un exceso de vocabulario legal, sólo el estrictamente necesario considerando que estamos hablando de que "La Firma" es un bufete de abogados y no sólo se entiende fácilmente sino que te metes en la historia inmediatamente aunque no tengas idea de leyes.
Mitch es un buen tipoy además, destacado
Kurtis Andrew
Mar 30, 2013 Kurtis Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tai knyga, kurią aš pasiėmiau skaityti dar 2012, bet taip ir nespėjau užbaigti iki Naujųjų. Perskaičiau ją tik dabar ir ką gi galiu aš pasakyti? Pradžia mane užkabino, nes prasidėjo gan neįprastai – pokalbiu priimti į darbą. Tačiau vėliau, buvau nustojęs domėtis knygomis ir šiaip turėjau visokiu reikalų.
Gan įdomus trileris, su įdomia atomazga. Kuomet prasideda tikroji kova, ji užburia ir įtraukia. Vietomis taip, jog nuo įtampos pakildavo net pulsas. Nejučia klausdavai savęs, ar šiam teisininkui
The Firm -- the Book & the Movie 6 35 May 20, 2016 06:28PM
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
More about John Grisham...