Start by marking “Trial By Fire” as Want to Read:
Trial By Fire

Trial By Fire (Joseph Antonelli #7)

Defense attorney Joseph Antonelli's new client is a professor accused in the stabbing murder of his lover, a successful attorney. The case has everything: illicit sex, wealth, a high-profile killer, and a beautiful victim. Antonelli firmly believes his client is not guilty. To prove it, he has to bait the real killer out of hiding. What he discovers will challenge everythi ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Onyx (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Trial By Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial By Fire

May 03, 2009 J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

To me, Buffa jumped the shark on this one.

The brilliant Stanford grad/professor who's
the main character should not be able to assume
a false identity indefinitely, with the story ending
on the prospect that he will be able to do legal work
for Antonelli, and never get caught for his crime.

I felt like the book was a contrived allegory on the
double-edged-sword nature of media coverage of crime
and/or innocence.

The plot is intricately worked, but again, I felt somehow
like Buffa
Apr 06, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little disappointed with the ending. Have two more books by this author and looking forward to reading them.
John Oliver
It was pretty good, but after the middle of the book the ending became more and more transparent.
Dorothy Clark
Mar 12, 2015 Dorothy Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good. Hard to go wrong with Buffa and Antonelli.
Jan 05, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the twists in this story line. A lawyer teaching at a university is accused of murder. He asks his friend to represent him and although the lawyer, the main character has an impeccable trial record, the university professor, although being innocent, is convicted and sent to prison. The lawyer knows who the real murderer is and schemes to uncover the truth. A different story line and this book certainly makes me want to read more of this author's work.
Sep 15, 2011 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure the series could become formulaic in its approach, I'll be interested to see what another book is like, but I very much enjoyed this one. It explored "trial by journalism" which I think continues to be a real issue, and also explored the worlds of academia, abuse and broadcast media. It was well written and pacy and has a series of unexpected twists.
Feb 24, 2015 Michele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Non uno dei migliori dell'autore, comunque godibile.
Joanne Rawson
Mar 08, 2013 Joanne Rawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great legal thriller. I loved the twists and turns the story took you on right up until the end. This was the first D.W. Buffa novel i have read, and i shall look forward to reading more from him.
Jul 30, 2011 Kitty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book a read by this author and can't wait to read more. I actually give it 3.5 stars. It made it interesting how the law was explained from the district attorney's perspective.
Apr 28, 2008 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Polly Forns
Jul 10, 2013 Polly Forns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a GREAT whodunit whereby the ending was not easily guessed! The characters were likable and believable. Love the writing style. Will find more by this author.
I had trouble getting through the book until about the last quarter then it really got interesting. The ending was very good. I'm glad I persevered.
Albert Belcher
May 01, 2013 Albert Belcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this, it was different. The only problem is when he set up to pull a twist I figured it out. Not bragging, just sayin'.
Jul 02, 2011 Lena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating. Well-written. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Leeba Friedman
Leeba Friedman marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Diana Mentrak
Diana Mentrak rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Barb rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Paltrino rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Valerie Doyle
Valerie Doyle rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Vierblij rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Gezch marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Bre Bre
Bre Bre marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
D.W. Buffa (full name: Dudley W. Buffa) was born in San Francisco and raised in the Bay Area. After graduation from Michigan State University, he studied under Leo Strauss, Joseph Cropsey and Hans J. Morgenthau at the University of Chicago where he earned both an M.A. and a Ph. D. in political science. He received his J.D. degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Buffa was a criminal defense ...more
More about D.W. Buffa...

Joseph Antonelli (7 books)
  • The Defense