The New Jackals: Ramzi Yousef, Osama bin Laden, and the Future of Terrorism

The New Jackals: Ramzi Yousef, Osama bin Laden, and the Future of Terrorism

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  7 reviews
On 26 February 1993 a massive bomb hit New York's World Trade Center, creating more hospital casualties than any event in American history since the Civil War. Ramzi Yousef, the young British-educated terrorist who masterminded the attack, had been seeking to topple the twin towers and cause tens of thousands of fatalities.
An intensive FBI investigation into the crime qui...more
Published June 27th 2002 by Northeastern (first published October 7th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The New Jackals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Jackals

Fiona
I started reading this on the anniversary of 9/11 in 2010 because I could not get into any of my other fiction books and it seemed in a way, appropriate. Simon Reeve is a very talented journalist/author. I have read another one of his books – One Day In September – which is about the 1972 Munich Olympics terrorist attack on the Israeli Olympic team and the following revenge attacks by Israel’s agency Mossad.

I am not a great reader of non-fiction because I have a misjudged prejudice that they are...more
Jeane
Luckily this book wasn't written as a he is such a bad guy, whatever his reasons.
I didn't realize first that the book was written before the airplanes destroyed the Twin Towers, so was waiting until that would be described. As it was written before, it was kind of fun to see how Reeves wrote about thinks and knowing what really happened afterwards. Spooky sometimes, but also making you feel sometimes like it couldn't be true they managed to do this stuff.

I guess Americans will feel different rea...more
Matthew Griffiths
This work has obviously lost some of its punch since publication but had I read this prior to 9/11 then this certainly would have got a five star rating. New Jackals is an excellent analysis of the career of one terrorist in particular and through his investigation of Yousef's career, Reeve demonstrates the complexity and reach of international terrorism in the early 1990s and how it was poised to strike internationally. Many of the predictions about terrorist attacks or the direction terrorism...more
Trish
Well, I will hold my hand up and say I had absolutely no recollection of an attack on the twin towers in 1993. To read this book and understand what happened and the knowledge and insights gained on Ramzi Youself and Osama bin Laden following the attacks, knowing what would come later - quite frankly it's astounding.

Knowing what we knew, and reading articles about the attack written at the time (http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/da...) - I don't know what to make of it all. Could we really not...more
Holly
I read this book for informational purposes only. It was interesting enough on its own but its importance I think lies in understanding the development of the terrorist cells we see today and how they operate and recruit.
Bryan White
Good background to the precursors of 9/11, other than that it's a pretty hard read.
Sori
in depth and detailed. fascinating.
Wouter
Wouter is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Bal81
Bal81 added it
Jul 27, 2014
E Y
E Y marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Steven Brown
Steven Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Clau
Clau added it
Jun 25, 2014
BK
BK added it
Jun 07, 2014
Matthew Wilhite
Matthew Wilhite marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
₵oincidental   Ðandy
₵oincidental Ðandy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Budd Margolis
Budd Margolis marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Joshua Allbee
Joshua Allbee marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Simon Reeve is an author and broadcaster. In recent years he's been travelling around little-known regions of the world for a series of BBC television documentaries.
More about Simon Reeve...
One Day in September: The Full Story of the 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and the Israeli Revenge Operation "Wrath of God" Tropic of Capricorn The New Jackals : Ramzi Yousef, Osama Bin Laden, and the Future of Terrorism One Day in September: The Full Story of the 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and the Israeli Revenge Operation Wrath of God The Millennium Bomb