Start by marking “New York: An Illustrated History” as Want to Read:
New York: An Illustrated History

New York: An Illustrated History

The companion volume to the PBS television series, with more than 500 full-color and black-and-white illustrations
This lavish and handsomely produced book captures all the beauty, complexity, and power of New York -- the city that seems the very embodiment of ambition, aspiration, romance, desire; the city that has epitomized the entire parade of modern life, with all its
Published November 2nd 1999 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New York

Scott Fuchs
Oct 11, 2011 Scott Fuchs rated it it was amazing
Having read over 100 histories of New York [both illustraqted and non, this book towers above even the best. Sadly,it seems that Knopf totally missed the boat in promoting this masterful work.
Brilliantly formatted, photographically edited and incisively written it is for all who have a passion for New York's past.
Alex Telander
Probably one of the best release this year from eminent publishers Alfred A. Knopf, New York: An Illustrated History is a coffee table book like no other. Published as a companion to the well-know PBS series on the history of New York, this book serves as a unique tome on its own, destined for every library in the country – in home, school or public.

You are taken on a journey through New York’s past, in it’s founding stages as New Amsterdam, into the nineteenth century, with the upheavals of the
Rob
It’s kind of amazing when you think how new America is and that such a vastly wild geographic region could be remade into a massive city so quickly. The amount of people pouring into the city to create something new is awe inspiring. I think what’s most interesting is that in this new space there truly was the ability to succeed from nothing because of the sheer need for growth in such an undeveloped landscape, the power of commerce is monumental and frightening really.
There was something reall
Ben
Jan 06, 2011 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What everybody is saying about this book is absolutely true. It is an excellent, comprehensive, beautiful, and highly readable history of the most fascinating and vibrant city in America. It is written not as a continuous narrative, but as a series of essays accompanying the remarkable images that show the story. Many times I found myself wanting to read the rest of the story in an essay, but this is not any one story, but hundreds of windows. We get to read about the context and a little of the ...more
Melanie
Jan 08, 2009 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm addicted to NYC and anything about it. It's not just cuz I've been there a gazillion times. Even if I didn't live near the city, I would still gobble up anything about it. This book IS great, ya'll! The pictures alone make it worth it, but wait...there's also informative text to go along with it. If you're interested in the history of the Big Apple, or just like lugging around big books, you definitely gotta check this book about. Would I lie to you about great literature? ...more
Tom Menner
Jul 04, 2012 Tom Menner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have the hardcover coffee table version of this book, and similar to "The Civil War" (by Ric's brother Ken) this book does justice what was a great documentary miniseries. Both the documentary and the book do a great job supplying history and illustrations to show NYC's ups and downs - and how it became the greatest city in the world. My edition does not include the events of 9/11, whereas current editions of the documentary include a 9/11 coda episode.
Cheryl
Mar 26, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A huge tome of a book, but so engrossing. I was caught up in the city from 1609 to 1999 for hours on end. So many great stories and with wonderful interesting photos to match. I have been to New York many times, but this will make future visits all the more meaningful. I want to now find the PBS series that this companion book is from.
Brian
Jan 31, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing
A fascinating depiction of NYC from its origins as a Dutch outpost up to, and including, the events of 9/11. All the info is laid out both chronologically and by topics.

This coffeetable book is an excellent companion to the six DVD set that was released a few years back. I HIGHLY recommend both of them; although one their own they are an educational look at the Big Apple.
John
Great pictures. Kinda skimpy on the history and long on boosterism. (New York is big! And busy! And growing bigger and busier every decade!) Lots of breathless prose but it's a good quick-ish overview of the city. It's mostly Manhattan- and landmark-centic (of course).
Amanda
Jul 29, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical review of NYC - stunning photographs. Gives wonderful perspective and insight on how environmental, economic, and social factors influenced the evolutionary process this powerhouse city.
Monica
This is a gorgeous volume chock full of history and illustrations. Massive. Masterful. Like it's subject.
Ryan
Aug 04, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is adapted from the PBS series by Ken Burns. I've never seen the series, but I loved this book. Excellent complete history of New York City.
Rick
Dec 21, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing
Great series, great book. No story untold about NYC's primary place in the nation's history.
Jordan
Jan 02, 2009 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG. I love this book. This is where I really started to learn about and appreciate New York City.
Julie
Feb 09, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, with lots of great illustrations and photographs.
Harlan
Nov 02, 2013 Harlan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great history of America's greatest city.
Hector
Feb 01, 2008 Hector rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Urbanites, New Yorkers, History Buffs
Recommended to Hector by: No one
If you're looking for a book about the history of New York that is easy to read and fills you up, this is the one. It is an excellent book.
Brian
Dec 19, 2007 Brian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who love New York and consider New York a religion.
Greatest historical overview of the greatest city on earth.
Stef
Stef rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2008
Tim Kelly
Tim Kelly rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Thorwald
Thorwald rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2013
Richard Brierton
Richard Brierton rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2014
David Weiss
David Weiss rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
elizabeth wieners
elizabeth wieners rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2017
Geoffrey
Geoffrey rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2014
James Roman
James Roman rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2010
Yvette
Yvette rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Kevin
Sep 14, 2011 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
huge, fascinating and smooth reading. you can't carry this around, but you'll want to.
Marcus James
Marcus James rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis
  • Lost New York
  • The Encyclopedia of New York City
  • Inside the Apple: A Streetwise History of New York City
  • Conquering Gotham: A Gilded Age Epic: The Construction of Penn Station and Its Tunnels
  • AIA Guide to New York City: The Classic Guide to New York's Architecture
  • The Historical Atlas of New York City: A Visual Celebration of Nearly 400 Years of New York City's History
  • Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City
  • The Flatiron: The New York Landmark and the Incomparable City That Arose with It
  • Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898
  • New York Diaries: 1609 to 2009
  • Shutting Out the Sky: Life in the Tenements of New York, 1880-1924
  • Five Points: The Nineteenth-Century New York City Neighborhood That Invented Tap Dance, Stole Elections and Became the World's Most Notorious Slum
  • Appetite City: A Culinary History of New York