Start by marking “Mistral's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Mistral's Daughter

Mistral's Daughter

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  4,171 ratings  ·  79 reviews
They were three generations of magnificent red-haired beauties born to scandal, bred to success, bound to a single extraordinary man--Julien Mistral, the painter, the genius, the lover whose passions had seared them all. Maggy--Flamboyant mistress of Mistral's youth, the toast of Paris in the '20s. Her luminous flesh was immortalized in the paintings that made Mistral lege ...more
Published August 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Mistral's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistral's Daughter

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
I Saw the Movie & Read the Book
374th out of 1,289 books — 1,376 voters
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerWives and Daughters by Elizabeth GaskellThe Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
Kin
466th out of 702 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria
This novel sweeps fifty years of art and fashion and women.

The story starts with Magali, born a bastard because her father died of smallpox before he could marry her mother. At seventeen she ran away to become a model, became wildly successful thanks to Paula Deslandes, and fell ruthlessly in love with Mistral. But Kate Browning showed up on the scene and Maggy left. She had a daughter with a rich American (married), waited for him to get divorced, but he died before that was possible, and Théod
Miko O.
Ahhh, so enjoyable. Sure, it's shallow and formulaic and melodramatic, but Judith Krantz can sure string a pretty sentence together, packing in TONS of fancy details along the way. And it's so much fun to read about people that are impossibly good at what they do. (For example, Maggy the model is in her seventies but she looks SEVENTEEN. Haha!) The sex scenes are kind of tame, compared to Princess Daisy, anyway. I wish they'd make a movie again out of this book, with Rachel Hurd-Wood as Fauve.
Tanya C.
I know, I know. But I loved this book. Loved it so much I've read it probably once every two years for the last 20 or so years. Seriously. I don't know if it's that I love the three generations of ginger women who inhabit this book, or because of the glamour of the settings and the people, or because she is actually a wonderful writer who paints lovely, and detailed pictures with her words, regardless of the fact that it's a glorified romance novel. It's a family saga, not just a love story.

I'v
Sally
Classic beach read, decadent escapist fun and I loved it.
Virginia Markhart
Very interesting book. Very long book. I read a paperback versionwith 564 pages. At first I was confused about who was who. You have a grandmother who had a long ago affair, then her daughter from another affair has an affair with the same man. The daughter has a daughter with the man who the grandmother previously had an affair with!!! WHAT. So the story begins with the death of the main man who is a world famous artist. Not a particularly nice man, but very talented. His one true love was the ...more
Emily
Judith Krantz is a Francophile. Many parts of this book read like an extended love letter to the country, the language and the lifestyle. Fortunately, Krantz has also populated her book with interesting, dynamic characters whose lives allow Krantz to depict at length Paris and the Provençal countryside. Beginning in Paris in the 1920’s and continuing until 1975 with stops in 1950s New York, World War II era Félice, and Rome in 1975, Krantz’ generational saga is lush with descriptiveness, quirky ...more
Amanda
This is an epic novel spanning three generations. Krantz uses this story (parallels to Vlaminck, Derain and Matisse and Picasso) to span Impressionism and the Fauves. She moves through world wars and and how people survived and tells these tales of perseverance through a three generation love story. It is a masterful historical romance.
There was a mini series with Stacy Keach and Stephanie Powers which was not too bad, but I saw it in the late 80's so I am quite sure it won't hold up to the pass
Kathaileen
It was a good book and a good miniseries with Stacy Keech (Mistral) and Stephanie Powers (model), and Timothy Dalton (married man). An artist model poses for Mistral and he becomes successful. They break up and she moves to New York and becomes involved with a married man. He enters a loveless marriage to an ambitious woman who become his manager and makes him rich. In the meantime the model has an illegitimate daughter, Teddy. The married man dies and doesn't make provisions for them in his wi ...more
Monette
This book was recommended to me by a much older co-worker of mine. She considered it one of all time favorites. I was doubtful as to whether or not I'd be able to relate to the book due to the difference in generations and all, but decided to give the book a try.

Three chapters in, I still was not convinced that I'd enjoy it, but I laboriously continued, hoping that the momentum would pick up and that the storyline would eventually pique my interest. It did, just a bit.

Krantz's writing style, in
Deb Sharp
This is the first Judith Krantz book I ever read back in 1986 I Loved it, I have read all her books she was one of my fave Authors, I don't think she has written a new book in the last 10 years or so ? :(
Joanne
A family saga that follows three firey red headed Lunel women – Maggie, Teddy and Fauvre. The story covers 1920-1970s.

The book incorporates painting, life in Paris and the French countryside, World War II, the world of modeling and discrimination of Jewish people and children born out of wedlock. I thought the book was well written and covered interesting subjects and situations that the beautiful ladies endured. I felt Fauvre’s lust for her 25% Jewish heritage was a little exaggerated and leng
Kris
Read this when I was in high school. LOVED.IT. It became a mini-series, every bit as beautiful and tragic as the book. An oldie but goodie. I read several times.
Charlie
Incredibly well written book. I cannot begin to imagine the amount of research the author has had to put in to create this masterpiece. Each event is detailed just enough for everything to seem real, reading this book, I travelled both through time and from places to places. It was very interesting to see how intertwined the story of these three generation of strong ginger women and their lovers were. Despite how long the book was, I somehow I found myself interested about every detail of the st ...more
Shawn
I read this many years ago and loved it. Re-read it this week and still found it enjoyable.
Judith van Praag
This book was made into a mini series by Ms Krantz's husband. In 1989 when I was in Los Angeles to study screen writing, I sat in front of the TV taking notes on the scene changes etc. Never read the book. Thought I'd pick it up while working on my ScriptFrenzy scenario. It's a good read (I keep it on my night stand) and I enjoy re-visiting familiar places in especially Paris and the Provence. Ms. Krantz is the mistress of characterization, detail and dialogue, it's all quite believable.
Kate Barrett
One of my all time favourites
Marianne Gries
Such an entertaining read!
Elizabeth  Fuller
Not bad for a fun, light, slightly trashy read. The story of three generations of women with emotional and familial ties to the same talented artist is absorbing enough to hold your attention, but not quite on the same epic scale as something like "Gone with the Wind" nor as truly iconic as my all-time favorite trash novel, "Valley of the Dolls."
Nancy
I read this book many years ago, and it started my addiction to romance and erotica (although this is erotica-light compared to a lot of popular contemporary romance).

It is a good read, although as I've gotten older, I found to be not quite 'the best ever' that my 18 year old self thought during the first read. My 40 year old self still enjoyed it, although I have now read better.

But I would still recommend it as a pretty good book.
June Marino
Interesting novel telling the tale of over 70 years of a family's life in the world of modeling, and art in both France and New York City. Well developed characters with lots of twists and turns.
Delia
Este libro me encantó. A pesar de haberlo leído después de ver la serie televisiva el libro me gustó mucho.
No apostaría mi vida que releyéndolo tuviera yo la misma opinión, pero en su momento me gustó muchisimo.
La ambientación de la novela se me hizo espectacular y los personajes muy interesantes, aunque he de ser franca y decir que lo que tengo en la memoria más claramente es la serie televisiva.
Antony Wainaina
GreenApple Alice
Total and complete brain candy- the description says "three generations of red-haired beauties born to scandal, bred to success, bound to a single extraordinary man..." I loved every lascivious page. Not TOO dirty- no throbbing manroots or anything so ridiculous. Recommended to me by an avid reader (Kathy Dragon) it was the first bodice-ripper I every really enjoyed.
It took me a good one third of this book before I began to enjoy it...I don't think I liked the characters to that point. However, the insight offered into the world of art and high fashion was very interesting. Though this book is not one of my favorites, I would recommend it to those who enjoy insights into cultures we often only see on the surface.
Michelle
This book was good at times, but extremely slow the rest of the time. I didn't finish it because it was too slow for my liking. There was a good story to it though... I just wish it had been more exciting (and fast-paced, for lack of a better word) to read. I saw the movie as well, which I enjoyed more than the book (which is usually not the case for me).
Fernanda
Este libro me llevo a recorrer diversas décadas y lugares tanto de Paris como Nueva York en solo unas páginas, del recorrido por el mundo de la moda, y que decir de las mujeres Lunel, con esa belleza inigualable descrita por Judith Krantz, cada una con un carácter único y una fortaleza tremenda. Y Mistral, que con todo su egoismo logró cautivarnme
Lydia Trent
I first read this book in my early twenties and it made such an impression on me that I bought it again (as it disappeared during the years) and was not disappointed. It's not quite as 'heavy' as my usual read, but she develops the characters very well and the story carries you along. Glad I read it again.
Linda
I thoroughly enjoyed this unique story, characters and trip to France! Now that I know it is also a movie I will see if it's available via netflix or redbox. I do like to read the books first. Movies just can't often do a story justice especially once you formed a picture of characters in your mind!
Frances
I didn't quite finish this but I'll rate it anyway. I enjoyed Maggy, especially in her younger days, and I survived Teddy, but by the time we got to Fauve I didn't care anymore. (Ack, sorry, Miko!) It was fun escapism while it lasted, but in the end, maybe I prefer my fun escapism on the shorter side.
  • Queenie
  • Lace
  • Deceptions
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • Once Is Not Enough
  • To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3)
  • Lucky (Lucky Santangelo, #2)
  • Random Winds
  • The Lonely Lady
  • Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2)
  • Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #1)
Judith Krantz (born Judith Tarcher), is an American novelist who writes in the romance genre. Her works include Princess Daisy and Till We Meet Again.
More about Judith Krantz...
Scruples Princess Daisy Till We Meet Again I'll Take Manhattan Scruples Two: Fifteen Years Later

“Me pregunto cómo sería el mundo si todos viviéramos realmente como si no hubiera mañana.” 1 likes
“Fauve clenched her fists and bounded up from her bed, her gloom vanished in a rush of combat, which translated itself into the one eternal question which can make any female creature forget even such profound questions as the brevity of youth, the fleetingness of time.
What was she going to wear ?”
0 likes