Start by marking “Mud” as Want to Read:
Mud

Mud

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
One night it happens. Maybe it begins in the warmth of the day, but it’s always at night that it happens. Earth comes unfrozen, and then there is . . . MUD! This ode to muddy hands and feet, brown earth, and new grass celebrates the joy of mud and the coming of spring. “Wallow in it.”--Kirkus Reviews
Published April 15th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mud

Holly Leendertsen
Mud is about a little boy watching the changes of the seasons, from winter to spring. The story begins with the ground frozen, and then eventually turns into the mud in correlation with the changing of the seasons. This book was extremely cute, and fun to read. As a kid, I can remember how excited I would get when spring finally arrived, and the flowers began to bloom. This book is a very low reading level, and would be used in the lower grades, like kindergarten. Teachers can use this book in a ...more
Bambini Travel
MUD is one of those books that I look forward to seeing every year. It is like an old friend that greets me from the shelf as the weather starts to warm and our world begins to flow with color and warmth. Mary Lyn Ray's carefully chosen words capture the moment when the winter ends and "Squish Squck Sop Splat Slurp melt into mud." The brief text is perfect for a younger audience, yet she challenges them with delicious language. Lauren Stringer's illustrations capture the delights of squishing yo ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
There are not many mud books available. This one works. The story goes from a white Winter to a green Spring. I was focusing on rainy Spring weather and in the rain you get mud. So it worked. It's a very popular book to checkout from the library, so I decided to give it a go at storytime.

2015 Storytime Theme: Rainy Weather

Reviewed from a library copy.
Stan
Feb 02, 2015 Stan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this book has kind of an adultish, poetryish feel to it; not something I would expect a little boy to get excited about. The last half is more down to mud. Perhaps this is intended to appeal to mom and child. It didn't really work for me.
Emily
Get dressed in old clothes before you read this one to a child, because you'll immediately want to go outside and play together in the mud afterwards. One of my all-time favorite picture books, 'Mud' has a simple, lovely, reverent text and lush illustrations that immerse the reader in the gorgeous transition from Winter to Spring, when "Winter will squish, squck, sop, splat, slurp, melt in mud." More lyric poem than story, read this when kids are not in a riled-up, want-exciting-or-funny books m ...more
Shawna
Nov 19, 2014 Shawna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
Mud is a book that uses abstract senses to walking in mud. This would be a great book for a poetry lesson. "Mud" also has an easy get but yet needs more compression skills to understand.
Ghislaine
Introduced it during a Seasons themed story time by letting them know that where I come from (CT) we like to say we have a 5th season: Mud.
Linda
Mar 19, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations. You're probably going to want to squish and squeeze some delightful gooey mud after reading this!
Aleisa
Illustrations? 5+. Writing? 1. I think it was supposed to be sparse and poetic but it was just lame and clunky.
Canadian Reader
Some effective language use and some brilliant illustrations, but there's not really much to this book.
June
Mar 26, 2015 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spring requests
I introduce this book in lap time with a tongue in cheek introduction for the parents saying now a book about everyone's favorite thing about spring... Well, I guess it was one child's favorite because a parent begged to check it out. 3/21/12

Used in PJ, had one toddler and mother show up and the next day in Lap Time. 3/19/13

Used again for lap time. 4/1/14

Used again in Lap Time.

Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Mud is a book about a child exepiences of the changes in season from winter into spring.The child explores the earth using the senses of sight, smell, and touch.The idea of playing in the mud with colorful illustrations allow children to share in the joy of watching how the earth changes after winter.
April
Jan 08, 2014 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the illustrations and it's just a fun book! :-)
Sara Diane
The book was simple and clear, easy for young readers to grasp and follow. There was some good, poetic language that pulled it up from just a boring kid's book to a solid one, but not one that I would want to read over and over.
Angela
Jul 29, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good intro to Spring story times, Mud has grand, sweeping pictures and very simple text, good for toddlers and also for Alzheimer's patients, because the typeface is very large and bold. Add a clay activity, and you're set!
Kim
Jul 23, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My boys LOVE this book. We currently read it every.single.day. It goes along with our Spring theme. Afterwards we always discuss how in the Spring we will play in the mud, squish the mud, dig in the mud, etc. BOYS LOVE MUD! :)
Sabrina Henry
I loev the illustrations in this book! They are bright and huge. This book is about spring time and the rain that causes mud. A good book for children to enjoy and reflect on her experineces or use their imagination.
Samantha
Welcome Spring and celebrate by digging into a heaping mound of mud. Lyrical text and acrylic/watercolor paintings make mud the most glorious sign of warmer weather. PreK-2.
Carrie Gelson
Perfect mentor text for descriptive language or to use to practice visualizing. The Earth wakes up after winter and mud is the happy result.
Janderson
Mar 22, 2011 Janderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I love this book and the art! It is a little to lyrical for some kids during story time, but they love talking about playing in mud.
Alice
Apr 26, 2013 Alice rated it liked it
This is a great Spring book, but on the surface....who would know? The cover says MUD?? I like the pictures, I like the story. YEAH SPRING
Cana
Aug 12, 2008 Cana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy says: short and sweet with lush drawings of the cold wintry world melting into a muddly spring. Takes all of 2 minutes to read.
Bree
May 01, 2012 Bree rated it did not like it
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
would rather have my kids play in mud than read about it
actually about season changes, not just mud-play
disappointing
Jenn O'Brien
Jul 26, 2012 Jenn O'Brien rated it really liked it
Great book to read on the first day of spring when you are trying to brush off the winter blues. Terrific bright illustrations.
Ericka Fluellen
Sep 01, 2009 Ericka Fluellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boys normally love this book. Its about the coming of spring and the mucky mess that spring leaves behing-MUD!
Marissa García
A lovely picture book about the earth giving way to spring and the delights of mud. Great choice for storytime.
Stephanie Wycihowski
great book ! nice colorful illustrations.. perfect for a springtime read to young children!
Dana Johnson
Oct 10, 2012 Dana Johnson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-310-1
This book is teaching the children about changing of season. Very short book. Great illustrations.
Shannon
May 09, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
Cute descriptive children's book that rediscovers the joy of mud in your toes. Porter loved it.
Carol Royce Owen
Apr 10, 2011 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Living in Vermont, every one of my students could relate to this lovely muddy book.
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • Rain
  • Winter Is Coming
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Birds
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • I Dare You Not to Yawn
  • A Rock Is Lively
  • Split! Splat!
  • Yucky Worms
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • When the Wind Stops
Mary Lyn Ray is a conservationist and author of several picture books for children. She was born in Louisiana in 1946 and grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas. Ray has lived in New England since 1964, when she first came east to attend college. She currently lives in a 150-year-old farmhouse in South Danbury, New Hampshire, which she restored herself.
More about Mary Lyn Ray...