Start by marking “The Deming Management Method” as Want to Read:
The Deming Management Method

The Deming Management Method

Whether you are the owner of your own small business, a middle manager in a mid-sized company, or the CEO of a multinational, this book aims to show you how to improve your profits and productivity, following the principles of the Deming management method.
Published October 1st 1992 by Management Books 2000 (first published June 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Deming Management Method, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deming Management Method

Good to Great by James C. CollinsThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Tipping Point by Malcolm GladwellHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt
Best books for business
53rd out of 156 books — 199 voters
The Lean Turnaround by Art ByrneCreating a Lean Culture by David  MannToyota Kata by Mike RotherJoy, Inc. by Richard SheridanLearning to See by Mike Rother
Lean Thinking
11th out of 25 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

James
A book that's turned up, and been useful, again and again since I first encountered it in a Total Quality Leadership (TQL) program, the military version of Total Quality Management (TQM), back in the 90s while on active duty as a Marine officer, then again in a public health job a decade later. Dr. Deming was the innovator who tried to share what he'd learned about managing processes to the U.S. auto industry, then went to Japan when Detroit ignored him, with the results visible in the products ...more
Wendy
Sep 07, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has carry over in any business. I incorporated this style in healthcare management and parenting!! It's a great story on a can do business model. A must read. (it might seem out dated, but I believe .. The essence of good leadership is in there)
Ron
Feb 02, 2011 Ron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quality
A book that better explains the Out of Crisis book that Deming wrote. Perhaps this is the best book to begin to understand the concepts.
Chuck Russo
Jan 31, 2009 Chuck Russo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
excellent book about W. Edwards Deming's business principles
Yves
Mar 31, 2014 Yves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, office
I bought this book and read it in the early years of starting Qualifirst, my first company. Deming was a bit of a business hero to me at that time and I was pretty excited to be able to talk to someone that had read & given some thought on "The Parable of the Red Beads" which is early in the book, dealing with work systems and processes outside of a worker's control.

I read it and used what I could but the concept of total quality reinforced my determination that a business that was not inher
Matt Clem
A good fundamental reference for business philosophy. The Deming Management Method brought quality back to the U.S. Surprising that so many organizations still fail to implement these leadership practices which should, by now, be commonplace.
Michael Carbonari
Sep 04, 2015 Michael Carbonari rated it really liked it
Business based on long term relationships serving mutual needs of business and suppliers. Deming was an American. It is his philosophy the Japanese put into practice when they started competing against us and beating us.
Chris
Aug 20, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
I personally really enjoyed many of the principles raised in the book and wonder how they apply to today, since much of this was written awhile ago and many of the examples provided (I stopped reading somewhere around past the story involving Ford and the Taurus) just don't seem to as appropriate given more recent history. Nevertheless, I'm sure many of the concepts really do apply to many companies (or agencies in the work scenarios I deal with) and could be readily applied if leadership were w ...more
Jonathan Trost
I enjoyed learning about his methods and Mr Demming. however most of this books was the same stories with different companies repeated again and again...american companies ignored quality, foreign competition came in and stole market share, american companies adopted Demmings methods after culture/org changes, and became more competitive.

If you are looking for a book to learn about the statistical methods Demming used, this is not the book for you.
Daniel Lang
Dec 26, 2013 Daniel Lang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a simple introduction to Dr. Deming's "Method" of Management, an overview of his life and examples of practical applications this book is simply the best. It is the launch pad for life long learning of quality and everything associated to it. I just cannot praise this book enough.
Erneilson
This book was my introduction to Dr. Deming - as a manager I have heard his name and his work mentioned over and over again so I figured it was time to get to know him better.
Bridget
Jan 03, 2011 Bridget marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is the paperback edition of the hardcover shown above. Cannot find the exact edition. I have four copies of this book. (One swapped so far)
Andrew
Jan 22, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Fantastic review of statistics and statistical quality control explaining workers' success or non success in a system.
Brian
Jan 07, 2009 Brian marked it as to-read
Suggested by Mark Graban from leanblog.org when asked about good book about Dr. Demming.
Bridget
Dec 31, 2010 Bridget marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is the correct publisher but a soft cover edition. I own five copies.
Goodreadsscannertesting
Should be zero star rating now
Sharon
Jun 20, 2013 Sharon marked it as to-read
Shelves: business
My deceased husband's book.
Amy Holbrook
Paperback 1 Copy
Abdulrezag
Abdulrezag marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Prakash
Prakash rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Pconfalonieri
Pconfalonieri marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Madis
Madis marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Xtomi17
Xtomi17 marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Sergei
Sergei is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
James Dunham
James Dunham rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
  • Dr. Deming: The American Who Taught the Japanese About Quality
  • 97 Things Every Project Manager Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Out of the Crisis
  • The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company
  • Mining the Sky: Untold Riches From The Asteroids, Comets, And Planets
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • How to Live on Mars: A Trusty Guidebook to Surviving and Thriving on the Red Planet
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • Social Darwinism in American Thought
  • Identifying and Managing Project Risk: Essential Tools for Failure-Proofing Your Project
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • An Introduction to General Systems Thinking
  • Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict
  • Smartbomb: The Quest for Art, Entertainment, and Big Bucks in the Videogame Revolution
  • Trigger Happy: Videogames and the Entertainment Revolution