Start by marking “Poisoned Pedigree” as Want to Read:
Poisoned Pedigree

Poisoned Pedigree (Alex and Briggie #4)

What would you do if you were told you had “Bad Blood”?

Hire a genealogist, of course! Kerry McNee, a famous balladeer of Scots-Irish folk music wishes to marry and have a family, but has a superstitious fear of the words an old lady in her Ozarks hometown once whispered: “You should never have children, Kerry. You will pass the bad blood to your children.”

Kerry hires Alexa
Published September 11th 2008 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Poisoned Pedigree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poisoned Pedigree

Kathryn
Mar 17, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
this was a great mystery/romance! Alex has had alot of tragedy in her life from the start when young her parents kept secrets from her. Her father was killed over the secret, her mother was an alcoholic and abusive. They sent her away to protect her and she felt abandoned and could never really trust people that they cared about her or loved her. She married and her husband was killed in a airplane crash. She was so distrout over his death that she neglected herself and lost the baby she was car ...more
Tiffeny
May 30, 2011 Tiffeny rated it did not like it
I've just been reading through other people's comments and cannot imagine all the good rating's this book has gotten. I also can't imagine Deseret Book publishing this book. I think I'm going to submit a novel to them, because they will obviously print anything. This book was aweful. My husband can't believe I even finished it, but it was a quick read and I hate to leave things undone. A Geneological Mystery? Really? The mystery itself had a million holes, but that wasn't the worst part. The wor ...more
Teri
Jun 24, 2008 Teri rated it it was amazing
In this fourth installment of the Alex and Briggie Genealogy murder mysteries, we come across a purported curse in the McHenry ancestry in the deep Missouri Ozarks. We even hear of a Mormon Missionary lynching in the mid 1800's that centers around the mystery. Amidst drugs, kidnapping, murder and the townsfolk keeping a lid on things, it takes Alex and Briggie getting bonked and knocked around, to solve the centuries old mystery. When both Charles and Daniel vie for Alex's affection, it's a bit ...more
Suzie
Sep 19, 2008 Suzie rated it really liked it
I really liked this story and the development of Alex and Charles' relationship and Daniel showing his true colors. It was neat to watch the history of the town be discovered (it made me want to check out tombstones in a cemetary) and also surprising to discover who played what roles (lots of twists). I had to go back and re-read this series to refresh my memory when I was done...Cankered Roots, Of Deadly Descent, Tangled Roots, and Poisoned Pedigree.

I had read Cankered Roots and Of Deadly Desce
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Oct 06, 2008 Lisa (Bookworm Lisa) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery and suspense fans
I really love this series of books. Alex and Briggie are in the business of geneology. Sometimes they are hired by clients to uncover family history secrets. In this series of books they put themselves in dangerous situations and uncover the secrets that others are willing to kill to keep hidden. There is a bit of romance involved, which in my opinion, makes the books even better.

Great and clean read. I highly recommend it.
Donna
May 17, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it
This book was written by my friend's mother, so it already had something good going for it! It's LDS fiction in the form of a genealogy mystery. It was a fun book to read and I liked it. It's the fourth book in a series; if I'd known that I probably would have read the first three books before this one. But it was good on its own too.
Kay
Dec 28, 2008 Kay rated it really liked it
The last in the series (I think). I enjoyd the entire series. It is easy reading and entertaining. In this book, again there is murder and secrets tied to the ancestory of Alex and Briggie's client. Again, there lives are in danger. Even though they are just genealogists,it seems they end up being detectives (discovering things that even the police did not know).
Chrystal
Dec 11, 2008 Chrystal rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-authors, mystery
This was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it. Although there was one line in the book that is actually incorrect when it comes to doing temple work for the dead. I also thought the ending wrapped up in a whirlwind so it wasn't as believable as the first part of the book. Still a fun read.
Heather
Apr 13, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
Sometimes it gets a little slow and confusing
Carol
Feb 03, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
I really like the adventure of family history research! Sometimes I rolled my eyes at the "I love him" "I don't love him" portions of the story. Still it's a good clean read.
Kristine
Jan 17, 2009 Kristine rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful mystery that is a fast page turner. Anyone wanting a fun read will enjoy this, especially if you like genealogy.
Janene
Jan 10, 2009 Janene rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I love this series she has done. It puts two of my loves together - mystery and genealogy.
Vicki
Sep 18, 2008 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
I loved this book! I just finished it last night and I think GG has done an excellant job of adding to the story of Alex and Briggie, Genealogists to the fore! Read all her books and enjoy!
Denise
Jan 15, 2009 Denise added it
This book you needed to be a detective. Adventure, Suspense, Romance, and Loyalty.
Cammie
Jan 31, 2009 Cammie rated it really liked it
Bought this at Deseret Book and really enjoyed it!
Marci
Mar 25, 2014 Marci rated it liked it
Because I am hooked on genealogy and murder mystery, I have committed myself to this series, but my recommendation overall is that it is trying to be too many things:

1. It consists of five separate genealogically-related murder mysteries that are standalones, connected by the owners of RootSearch, Inc., Alex Campbell and Briggie Poulson being the sleuths.

2. The entire series concerns the psychological and spiritual journey of Alex Campbell from severe problems to a state of healing through her
Sandy
Apr 06, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-authors
Kerry McNee, a famous singer and songwriter, has enlisted the help of professional genealogist Alexandra Campbell and her sidekick, Briggie, to explore the star's pedigree. At the age of 37, Kerry wants to marry and have a family, but she is terrified by childhood memories that include whispers of a family curse and “bad blood.” The investigation leads to a remote town in the Ozarks and a strange woman known as the Keeper, who seems to know secrets that no one else will share. But when the Keepe ...more
Lynne
May 26, 2014 Lynne rated it liked it
I'm a bit ambivalent about my rating, it should probably be more like 2 1/2 stars. I did enjoy the book and it did hold my interest. I wanted to know the answers to all the questions that were raised about the McHenry tribe. However, I would describe the writing as sappy, corny, over done. I was going to say that it was written more on an 8th grade reading level but then I remembered that I've read some pretty great books that were written for a junior high audience so that wouldn't be fair. It' ...more
Wendy
Jul 14, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok
I picked up this book off my Dad's bookshelves because the author is part of a display that BYU special collections had going when we were down there last.

The book was ok. The story line wasn't very believable and I didn't realize that there are other books before this that should probably be read first, because it keeps referencing them. I think most of the character development must have happened in the previous books. If you like murder mystery with a genealogical theme, this one might work
Apr 19, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
This is the the fourth book in the "Alex and Briggie" series. I am committed to finishing this series of novels, in part, because I like the characters that are ongoing in these stories.

The author manages to create an entertaining mystery around genealogy and at the same time, give family history devotees (like me, for instance) ideas about where to search for information on my ancestors. Every time I have read an installment of this series I have gained a new source for my own personal researc
Janyse
Aug 12, 2011 Janyse rated it liked it
Okay, who knew being a genealogist could be so dangerous? Though this is obviously the second or third book in a series (who knew?) I still found it interesting.

Two genealogists use a pedigree chart and their family history skills to solve murders. In the process they ruffle a lot of feathers and usually end up being chased and/or almost killed.

Not very realistic if you ask me (but what do I know??) but still a fun little light read. Hang with me, just a few more cheesy LDS novels to go for the
Patricia
It was really hard to read a book that kept referring to previously written books. Nowhere on it did it say it was part of a series, but I always felt like I was missing something explained it previous books. I found it more interesting when I finally realized that I had read the first book long ago. I think this is about #4, but they all take place within a year. It has a lot of violence -murders and such.
Susan
Jan 18, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
People's true colors come out in this mystery of "bad blood." It seems to be the metaphor for Kerry McKnee's family. Then, there's the relationship between Charles (who happens to be engaged to Alexandra) and Daniel. Alex and Briggie stir things up once again as they are hired by Kerry to solve her relationship to the McHenry's of Trotter's Bridge, Missouri. Actually, they solve more than one mystery when Miss Maddy (record keeper) is found murdered.
Marisa
Jul 23, 2010 Marisa rated it it was ok
I picked this book up at the library because the books I expected to be on hold for me were still "in transit" that day, and I really needed something to read, and I had seen this one in a Deseret Book ad so I knew it was clean. I wasn't able to enjoy it that much though, because I haven't read whatever books come before it in the series. I felt lost and confused. Finished it anyway to find out how it ends.
Kate
Apr 14, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
This is a fun book about a genealogist who is constantly finding herself in the middle of mysteries. It was a fun read. My only problem was this: Sorry, but hardly anyone had cell phones back in 1994! I can't believe that this got past the author and editor! But that's okay, G.G., I still love your work and will continue to read!
Kimberly Fields
Another fun addition to the Alex and Briggie series. C.G. Vandagriff has a knack for choosing interesting settings for her mysteries. Poisoned Pedigree has a whole new handful of friends, suspects, and quirky individuals to liven up the story. There are plenty of narrow escapes, puzzles to solve, personal struggles to resolve-- plenty to keep a reader interested.
EJ Johnson
Jan 15, 2009 EJ Johnson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery readers who like an easy read
Geneologist Alex and her friend/business partner Briggie try to solve the mystery of a folk singer’s worry of bad family blood when murder starts happening. Involves people in southern Missouri whose forefathers had murdered Mormon missionaries. I picked this up to read on the airplane home and it entertained me.
Wendy
May 19, 2009 Wendy added it
Recommends it for: someone looking for a light, fun read
I recently met the author of this series of mysteries. I have been reading them and they are kind of fun! The author herself described them as "popcorn" books. A nice escape!

She says I really need to read her book "The Last Waltz" as it is much better!
Becky
Jul 10, 2016 Becky rated it liked it
I'm not even sure what to say about this book. The sudden switch of Daniel felt odd to me, and also, Kerry's waffling drove me crazy. It was an interesting read, and Missouri Ozarks really can be that "wild," so it wasn't all bad even if the outcome felt a bit implausible.
Christine
Aug 25, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a mystery, or geneology
I loved this book because I love family history......This particular book is based in Missouri......I noticed that one of the counties mentioned in the book was one where my father in law lived years ago. I was a good mystery and read for me......
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pursued (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #2)
  • House of Secrets (A Shandra Covington Mystery, #1)
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Idle Playgrounds
  • Mummy's the Word
  • Dangerous Connections
  • Shadow of the Crown
  • Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)
  • Flashback
  • Dead Wrong
  • Breaking Point
  • Blink of An Eye
  • Grave Secrets
G.G. Vandagriff is the author of twenty-four books and is an Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. The Last Waltz, the first novel in her 20th Century Historical Romance Series won the Whitney Award for Best Historical Novel in 2009. There are now two more books in that series—Exile and Defiance.
Nine of her novels are Regency romances, compared by critics to the witty novels of Georgette Heyer. She has a
More about G.G. Vandagriff...

Alex and Briggie (5 books)
  • Cankered Roots (Alex and Briggie #1)
  • Of Deadly Descent