Start by marking “Tales of Space and Time ” as Want to Read:
Tales of Space and Time

Tales of Space and Time

A collection of three short stories and two novellas written between 1897 and 1898. All the stories had first been published in various monthly periodicals and this was the first volume to collect these stories.

contains
"The Crystal Egg"
"The Star"
"A Story of the Stone Age"
"A Story of the Days To Come"
"The Man Who Could Work Miracles"
Published by Ayer Company Publishers (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Space and Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Space and Time

Antony Bennett
Feb 17, 2012 Antony Bennett rated it really liked it
I've been re-disovering H. G. Wells lately, and this collection of short stories is bursting with imagination and entertainment :

THE CRYSTAL EGG - I loved the concept of the crystal egg itself, and the slow reveal of what the egg is holds the attention throughout the story. Towards the end, I thought we were heading towards a potential alien invasion as the pay off, but the story had a much less "pat" ending I'm glad to say.

THE STAR - almost like a modern disaster movie, or the opening scenes of
Sam
May 30, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a collection of vivid and descriptive tales that takes you to the ends of the universe and to the beginning and end of time. Wells has created (and recreated) different places within the universe and takes the reader back to man's beginning and forward to a world within the city limits.

The Crystal Egg - this tale follows Mr Cave as he becomes obsessed with a crystal egg he picked up, which allows some to view other worlds and their inhabitants. But as his obsession grows, so does the mal
Michael Jay
Nov 28, 2016 Michael Jay rated it really liked it
Classic tales which hold up the imagination.
An Odd1
Jan 15, 2014 An Odd1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27365 with images
Intriguing more for alternate looks to future, whether apocalypse or similar to present. Romance must be deliberately silly, wealth accidentally triumphs over love in poverty. Long before Jean Auel's boring Clan of the Cave Bear had similar grunting dialogue, hero is named here for his only word "Ugh". More fun when animals are articulate, verbose.

1 The Crystal Egg
Mr C Cave of London, browbeaten by wife and stepchildren, hides a quartz globe whe
Aris Brencis
Oct 08, 2016 Aris Brencis rated it really liked it
Usually, when I see a description "collection of short stories" I tend to skip the particular book. But this time I made an exception and I don't regret it. Yet the book did reassure me that short stories is not my favorite type of reading.

In short:
"The Crystal Egg" - A man comes by a magical crystal egg, which allows him to look into another universe.
"The Star" - A newly discovered planet is on its course to crush into the Sun, thus wreaking havoc on the Earth.
"A Story of the Stone Age" - Two y
Santosh Bhat
Aug 16, 2015 Santosh Bhat rated it liked it
Undoubtedly, Wells is a canny storyteller - one of the most skillful ones of his generation. Its just a shame that these particular set of short stories / novellas are either dated or of a lower quality to some of his well known works. I found the most intriguing one, also one of the longest, "A story of a time to come", where Wells in 1890 speculates on the future in 2100, detailing an love story, midst a dystopian future. He captures some things accurately, the extreme economic divide, air ...more
Rita
Jul 15, 2014 Rita rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, sci-fi-fantasy
I liked the short stories like The Crystal Egg and The Man Who Could Work Miracles better than the novellas, A Story of the Stone Age and A Story of Days to Come. The first one had me rooting for the animals instead of the humans. The second was interesting because you get to see the future imagined from a 1897 perspective. It's amazing how much the author got right! Still, the story digresses quite a bit and some major life events appear to affect the characters far less than other quite ...more
Annabelle
It starts out well enough, the first few short stories. Which, but for the different prose, reminds one of Neil Gaiman's stories in Smoke and Mirrors (and I have to blame S & M for my jaded response to that first story, concerning the egg). Then the stories get longer. Well-fleshed out characters, spanning multiple centuries, embedded with MESSAGES, apparently, is where H.G. Wells, father of Science Fiction, shines best. His tenor is that of a passive observant, and this reader somehow takes ...more
Mairi
May 09, 2012 Mairi added it
Shelves: 2011, 2012
I've typically kept a set of short stories on my phone as emergency reading. It's for those times that I'm caught in an interminable line or have finished a book but can't pick up the next one that I really want to read until the next day or am otherwise removed from my current reading material. This was not a good set for that purpose. They required more attention than brief snippets here and there could give them without being engrossing enough to demand said attention. By the time I realized ...more
Joshua
Sep 13, 2012 Joshua rated it did not like it
Really not what i expected. I hate tales and assumptions of beginnings being as idiot cave men who discover everything purely by chance and blind luck, there is nothing glorious or entertaining in this, nor does it credit man with any worth. Man is not, nor have we ever been primitive. There is no evidence of this, history always resounds with civilization. Man only becomes primitive when he chooses to reject civilization, primitive has not ever been a starting point. I realise this is fiction ...more
Arlinda Hapsawardhani
3 short stories and 2 novellas, I prefer to call it 3 'rather than well' short stories and 2 'not so well' novellas. I like the first and second short stories, not that much but like I said before, rather than well. Got stuck for weeks in the next 2 novellas, thanks to my patience (because) of H.G.Wells creation, I'm in love with last short stories. "The man who could work miracles", great plot, unexpected idea of 'wishes' that turns out to be time traveller. And making what it should be ...more
Gail
Sep 03, 2016 Gail rated it really liked it
The short stories in this collection range from prehistoric times to the 22nd century and most are great reads. I loved Wells' take on the future, where we won't be reading books, just listening to phonographs; a miraculous road surface will be discovered which never needs repair, major streets will be up to 800 feet wide with lanes for each speed. But young couples will still need a chaperone along when courting.
Karan
Apr 24, 2016 Karan rated it liked it
I started reading it hoping it would be interesting. it indeed is for it's time on how the author manages to portray the past and the future. It became a boring read after a point and I felt the author went into unnecessary depictions and narrations. Not something I enjoy.
It can get quite boring. I decided to skip the last chapter.
Just not a book I enjoyed.
Crawford
Oct 09, 2013 Crawford rated it it was ok
At the time the ideas explored in Wells' short stories were no doubt ground breaking. I fear they have all been subsequently expanded and explored more completely by other authors of worth, leaving Mr. Wells' contribution looking very naive. As a collection of well written light essays to enjoy on a long journey, fine, just don't expect anything profound.
Tri Ahmad Irfan
May 31, 2013 Tri Ahmad Irfan rated it it was amazing
A great classic, a must read.

Well maybe some of the stories are just another ordinary nonsense. But you'll find extraordinary gems about humanity, about life, and another great and unexpected things. :)

I learned many things about our nature of humanity, our natural instinct to survive and how we long for a quiet and peaceful life.
Janet
Jan 14, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Its a little hard to resist the urge to analyze these stories in terms of their predictive nature and just sit back and enjoy the tales. Overall, a very entertaining collection, with excellent bits of humor included. My favorite was 'The Star', which I think would hold up reasonably well against modern science fiction.
Bruce Hodge
May 30, 2012 Bruce Hodge rated it it was amazing
Seems to be a lot of versions of this listed, but the one I picked up was a pearler. H.G.Wells being a master of short stories and out of the box thinking, each story was a treat. Certainly had a touch for making the most of a few words.
arg/machine
Jan 21, 2012 arg/machine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic SF/Fantasy. In the public domain. A free electronic copy can be found here
Lynn
Jun 09, 2013 Lynn rated it liked it
"The Crystal Egg" was the best of the lot here IMHO but the others had some interesting themes around social change (and how things basically stay the same for haves and have-nots and bullies and victims across the eons).
Jan 10, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Tales of Space and Time is a collection of two novellas and three short stories. The short stories were pretty good but the novellas were weak.
Lee
Apr 01, 2016 Lee rated it really liked it
Want to know where SciFi time travel book ideas trace their ideas back to? Here it is. It holds up well in this date and age.
Mark
http://www.feedbooks.com/book/3469. Read: 11-20 March 2009. I quite enjoyed these stories. Makes an excellent read on a mobile device.
Blaire
Nov 29, 2011 Blaire rated it liked it
i enjoyed the egg/stone story and the story of man at its begining. to me, the others were mediocre.
Charlene Erks
Sep 07, 2012 Charlene Erks rated it really liked it
Collection of short stories of the science fiction type. Some were better than others but I enjoyed them all. Read it.
Tracy
Nov 10, 2012 Tracy rated it did not like it
This book sucked. Every time a short story got good, he'd end it and leave you totally hanging. I feel more stupid after reading this book.
Luis Gonçalves
Luis Gonçalves rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Morgan Burns
Morgan Burns rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Talha Muftee
Talha Muftee rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Chant
Chant rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Mary Hope
Mary Hope rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
  • Mosses from an Old Manse
  • Nebula Award Stories
  • The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1: Sex, the Future, & Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Citizen In Space
  • Wizards' Worlds
  • Bite Me! A Vampire Farce
  • History Lesson (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #1)
  • Extras (The Human Division, #14)
  • Beyond Lies the Wub
  • Operation Chaos (Operation Otherworld, #1)
  • Hereticus
  • Fifty-One Tales
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2015: Queers Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • Tarzan Series (Tarzan, #1-8)
  • Metropolis
  • The Portable Poe
  • The Night Of Knives
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government ...more
More about H.G. Wells...