Start by marking “The Olive Harvest: A Memory of Love, Old Trees and Olive Oil” as Want to Read:
The Olive Harvest: A Memory of Love, Old Trees and Olive Oil

The Olive Harvest: A Memory of Love, Old Trees and Olive Oil (Olive series)

'The stars shimmer like spilled handfuls of glitter. The day is beginning to rise with a faint mist. As I turn my head, ghostly halos, auras of light, appear and disappear and I cannot tell if it is caused by my lightheadedness or is a freak of nature. The silence is truly awesome. Not a bird, not a whisper of wind, not a breath of life. Only the two of us, a most implausi ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Orion (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Olive Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Olive Harvest

Aggie
Mar 09, 2017 Aggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second time around, just as enjoyable.
Cherop
Mar 06, 2013 Cherop rated it liked it
Shelves: world, travel, memoir
When I started reading this book I did not realize it is the last in a trilogy of book commencing with "The Olive Farm" and "Return to The Olive Farm".

This is a satisfactory read along the lines of "Under the Tuscan Sun", except in this case the author and her husband endure a painful separation and almost divorce, after having gone through a terrible car accident. The husband ends up going to live in Paris and tries unsuccessfully to revive his struggling film business. The author stays in Prov
Julia
Dec 03, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it
Lovely, tough, moving, lyrical, thought-provoking . . . only a few words to describe this soul-baring memoir from Carol Drinkwater, the third in her Olive Farm series. I have enjoyed reading each one, and through her exquisite prose, getting to know the character of her wild corner of France. Her books are peopled with such lively, loveable townspeople, friends, and family, and she describes them so well, I feel I know them all. This book will have you rooting for the endurance of Carol's relati ...more
Julie
Jul 06, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Having read the previous two books in the series years ago, I recently came across the third and simply had to read it. Carol's remarkable prose lifts the book from the mundane 'life as an ex-pat' genre and delivers a fresh glimpse into the ups and downs of living in a foreign country. Of course, her passion for her adopted land and her olive farm shine through but alongside these feelings, she allows up to peak into the innermost workings of her life. We see her frustration at times and her ang ...more
Carmen
Dec 02, 2013 Carmen rated it liked it
Shelves: house-gardening
Carol and Michel continue trying to get the right status for their olive farm. In the long drawn out process there is much frustration. But one thing is not related to the olive farm status. As Carol is driving on a mountain road, an opposing car comes too quickly and runs into them. Michel is hurt. His physical recovery is easy, but his mental recovery is not. He is not sure what he wants in life after the accident. So he goes to Paris. Carol is left alone to deal with all the trials and tribul ...more
Diane Will
Nov 10, 2012 Diane Will rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It lived up to it's expectations having read the previous two in the trilogy. Carol writes these really well and feel privelaged that she wanted to share her story of the ups and downs of running the olive farm with Michel.

Looking forward to browsing through her 'Illustrated Olive Farm' book now. Will really bring alive the other books with the photographs etc of the farm.

I read this in 2006.
Rosemary
Jan 06, 2014 Rosemary rated it liked it
Shelves: in-library
This is really well written and has a good story and the author deserves comparison with Rosamunde Pilcher.

For some reason however, it didn't quite engage me. This is strange because I love gardening and olive groves in particular. Perhaps it was a little bit pretentious and lacked a bit of humour.

Oh and I couldn't understand Carol's aversion to hunting, even though she ate meat. And she was so earnest about it too.
Kathlyn
Nov 06, 2016 Kathlyn rated it it was ok
I bought this book along with the first in the series - otherwise I wouldn't have bothered reading it. It's actually annoying me to the point of not finishing it - but I will persevere to the end. The typical story of a townie Brit who thinks she has transformed into a Provencal local - but bins her fig harvest and allows her olive farm to be turned over by les sangliers because she's anti chasse....
Kate McKinstry
Aug 02, 2011 Kate McKinstry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Quite a different tone from Carol Drinkwater's first two books. Clearly she wrote this at a rough time in her life, but as always her descriptions of her surroundings and her love of the landscape comes through her personal turmoil. As always, I highly recommend her books to anyone looking to escape for a while.
Molly
Jan 08, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Olive Harvest picks up a while after Olive Season ends. Carol and Michael continue their struggle/love affair with their olive estate in the south of France. Perhaps because this volume deals with more weighty issues, of personal significance to Carol, I don't think I liked it as much as the previous two. However, I still gobbled it up and I'm already anticipating reading the next two books.

Colleen
Jul 03, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for "Under the Tuscan Sun" genre books. With this one, I felt like I had taken a trip to Provence without getting on an airplane. However idylic the scene at the end of the book was, though, I don't think I could go through what the author did to enjoy that day. Enlightening and emotional.
Nicki
I've really enjoyed this thrid book in the Olive Farm series. Once again its great to get back to the story of her life in Provence. Carol Drinkwater really is an excellent author describing her adventures in the south of France on and around her farm. I definitely want to read the remaining two books.
Lynne
Dec 07, 2011 Lynne rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Although I don't love this series, I found this one (the third of three) the the most interesting. That said, I would start with the firstThe Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France.
Thomas Martin
Sep 07, 2016 Thomas Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3

Another great book from Carol Drinkwater but much more personal than the preceding books. I had my fingers crossed the whole time.
If you are new to Carol Drinkwater do not start here.
nimrodiel
May 20, 2008 nimrodiel rated it it was amazing
Recommended to nimrodiel by: oi-reader
Just, wow...

I absolutly loved this trillogy of books. Carol and Michele's growth through the tragedy they faced (together and apart) was a very moving part of this book.

See where this book travels to next, at: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/6...
Beth
Mar 01, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
There are 5 books in this series by Carol Drinkwater (also an actor, who played in All Creatures Great and Small as James Herriot's wife for the first 3 years of the series). They are autobiographical, enchanting, and informative. I'm enjoying them immensely. This is book 3 of the series.
Helen
Aug 03, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
good read
Melissa
Feb 12, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites - LOVE all of her books.
writer...
Complexities of life lived part time in a contemporary artistic world whilst re-creating an ancient olive and fruit orchard in the Cote d'Azur region of France.
Pamela
Jul 10, 2011 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Another delightful read about Carol and her olive farm. Onto the next one. :-)
Helen
Jul 29, 2011 Helen added it
Nowhere near as enjoyable as her other Olive books
Lisa of Hopewell
She became unattractively shrill and childish over the wild boars. Otherwise, interesting book. I will be listening to the third book as well.
Meghan
Apr 01, 2007 Meghan marked it as to-read
I didn't realize she had published another book. Yippee! I can't wait to read it.
Aileen
Sep 23, 2012 Aileen rated it it was amazing
I found all of her books very well written and have enjoyed them. Carol was very brave staying on at the farm when Michel left,a woman of great courage,patient, caring and understanding.
Deborah
Feb 03, 2009 Deborah rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Audio Book
Occasionalreader
Oct 08, 2014 Occasionalreader rated it liked it
Enjoyed this one more than the olive route. Again , back to France which personally I enjoy reading about.
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read
Shelves: travelogue, france, book-3
3rd
Ria
Feb 16, 2012 Ria rated it it was amazing
As always beautiful descriptive writing but did not enjoy this book as much as the others really as there were too many graphic hunting scenes involved in the narration.
Maxine
Sep 04, 2012 Maxine rated it it was amazing
great book
Pauline
Nov 29, 2008 Pauline rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book of the trilogy and I have enjoyed everyone of them.These are the memoirs of the author and her husband buying a run down Olive Farm.
  • Ripe for the Picking
  • Snowball Oranges: One Mallorcan Winter
  • From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant
  • Vanilla Beans & Brodo: Real Life in the Hills of Tuscany
  • Sweet Honey, Bitter Lemons
  • The Ripening Sun: One Woman and the Creation of a Vineyard
  • Under the Table: Saucy Tales from Culinary School
  • The Moon in the Mango Tree
  • The Ring Of Bright Water Trilogy (Ring of Bright Water, #1-3)
  • Diary of a Midwife: The Power of Positive Childbearing
  • The Guynd: A Scottish Journal
  • A Corner in the Marais: Memoir of a Paris Neighborhood
Carol Drinkwater is an Anglo-Irish actress, author and filmmaker.
More about Carol Drinkwater...

Olive series (7 books)
  • The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France
  • The Olive Season
  • The Olive Route: A Personal Journey to the Heart of the Mediterranean
  • The Olive Tree
  • Return to the Olive Farm
  • The Illustrated Olive Farm: A Newly Written, Illustrated Companion to Her Bestselling Trilogy

“ground-growing shrub rather like a small azalea,’ Madame is explaining when I return” 0 likes