Start by marking “The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Learn how to preserve the season's bounty in this classic primer on drying, freezing, canning, and pickling techniques. You'll learn everything you need to know to stock your pantry with fruits, vegetables, herbs, meats, vinegars, pickles, chutneys, and seasonings. Carol Costenbader presents more than 150 simple, step-by-step recipes for delicious creations such as Green C ...more
Published August 15th 2002 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published January 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest

Jane
A great book for canning, other methods of preservation and recipes. The book even includes information on when a crop is ready for harvest based on appearance and the best methods of preserving each major fruit/vegetable. Worth a read!
Mary Jo
One of my go to books when canning.
Greta
A lot of good recipes in this book, and a nice mix of common and more unusual ones. Also has the best equivalencies chart (Appendix C) out of any of the books I've read, showing both the typical number of fruits/vegetables in a pound and also the approximate number of cups you'll get out of that amount, which is very handy if you don't happen to have a kitchen scale with you when you're at the farmer's market! :)
Andrea
Fantastic recipies, well documented processes, and a bit of everything. I was not too interested in drying, despite my love of tea, but it was great that they covered it in the book as I agree it is an important part of preserving goods.

If you already have the Ball basics books this definitly the next book to pick up about canning and preserving.
Lauren
Oct 20, 2009 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
A book filled with unique recipes - I have made several, most recently the crockpot apple butter. There are many others I am planning to make soon. I like the way the author gives the step-by-step details for jams and jellies. Also, she has some unique flavors and lots of herb jellies included - perfect for marinades and dressings.

Anna
The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest isn't going to give you all the basic information you'd need to can plain tomatoes and freeze corn, but the section introductions are good.
Katie
I owned this book until I loaned it out four years ago. I had a different edition, which I think I liked better. This book is still a good reference and educational book loaded with recipes for the person wishing to preserve their garden's harvest.
Terra
Oct 03, 2014 Terra rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Great resource for canning, dehydrating or freezing seasonal produce for those dark days of winter. Decent assortment of recipes, but is no replacement for Ball's Book of Canning which everyone who cans should own.
annie
Oct 22, 2011 annie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
This is a semi-creative book on preserving the seasons's bounty. I use it as a reference point sometimes, but don't find it that inspiring. There are some good tips and recipes, though.
Dioscita
Mar 04, 2008 Dioscita rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Foodies, Preserving People
Shelves: cooking-food
Not bad. This has a couple of recipes I may try AND got me geeked to bid on some new gadgets from Ebay like the Squeezo Strainer (and no, I did not make up that word).
Stephanie
Jul 25, 2008 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: DIY
Recommended to Stephanie by: Seed Savers
If you lots of produce this is the book to get. I have looked at many canning books and this is the clearest writing with the most information.
Melissa
Apr 20, 2010 Melissa marked it as to-read
Thanks to my sweet friend Kelly for this book! I will read this and use it for all of the goodies that my garden produces (I hope!) this summer...
Julianne
LOVE the idea of small batch canning that happens year round. Can't wait to have more fresh produce ready for these recipes.
Barbi
has a few good recipes, but not worth it for me to buy. I enjoyed browsing thru it though.
Meg
A great great book for anymore wanting to put up the summer's bounty. Highly recommended.
A little advanced for a beginner, but great book nonetheless.
Ana
An oldie but goody!
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Jennifer Warren
Jennifer Warren marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Lil Miss
Lil Miss marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Antonette
Antonette marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Vickie Skinner
Vickie Skinner marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • The Beginner's Guide to Preserving Food at Home: Easy Techniques for the Freshest Flavors in Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Relishes, Salsas, Sauces, and Frozen and Dried Fruits and Vegetables
  • Putting Food By
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Backyard Foraging: 65 Familiar Plants You Didn't Know You Could Eat
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Homesteading: A Backyard Guide to Growing Your Own Food, Canning, Keeping Chickens, Generating Your Own Energy, Crafting, Herbal Medicine, and More
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • Preserving Summer's Bounty: A Quick and Easy Guide to Freezing, Canning, and Preserving, and Drying What You Grow
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner: 25 Ways to Build a Self-Reliant Lifestyle
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
Food Drying Techniques: Storey's Country Wisdom Bulletin A-197 Mustards, Ketchups and Vinegars: Making the Most of Seasonal Abundance Jams, Jellies & More: Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin A-282 Preserving Fruits & Vegetables Jams, Jellies & More: Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin A-282 (Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin, a-282)