Start by marking “Legacies of Dachau: The Uses and Abuses of a Concentration Camp, 1933 2001” as Want to Read:
Legacies of Dachau: The Uses and Abuses of a Concentration Camp, 1933 2001

Legacies of Dachau: The Uses and Abuses of a Concentration Camp, 1933 2001

Dachau was the first among Nazi camps, and it served as a model for the others. Situated in West Germany after World War II, it was the one former concentration camp most subject to the push and pull of the many groups wishing to eradicate, ignore, preserve and present it. Thus its postwar history is an illuminating case study of the contested process by which past events ...more
Published August 6th 2012 by Cambridge University Press (first published March 22nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Legacies of Dachau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacies of Dachau

Lewis Weinstein
An excellent detailed study of Dachau when it was a concentration camp from 1933-45, and its continuing role as a reminder of the German depravity.

There were several points regarding the postwar use that fit well with the observations my wife and I made at the "Terror and Fascination" exhibit in Nuremberg, which to our eyes was in many ways a glorification of Hitler. I am still frustrated that I have not been able to induce any reputable historian or journalist to visit the exhibit and see if t
Harold Marcuse
Aug 01, 2016 Harold Marcuse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wrote it...
Charlene
Aug 13, 2014 Charlene rated it really liked it
Lots to think about from this book -- it is not a history of the camp itself but more about how the world, and especially Germany itself, has viewed Dachau. Fascinating to read about changing German opinion as time goes by . . . finally coming to more of a willingness to face their Nazi past and learn from it. Also interesting notes about how memorials develop and how history is remembered. I didn't give it the close reading it deserves but still felt it was rewarding.
Kathy Sebesta
May 11, 2011 Kathy Sebesta rated it really liked it
This book offered interesting insights from directions I'd never considered. Especially thought-provoking is how the blame-placing in post-war Germany backfired so greatly. One area of disappointment was the paucity of pictures - there're so many out there, why so few? And why these few? A very long read.
Jessica
Jan 21, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Certainly a book to be digested chapter by chapter and not one for sitting down and reading in a day. Marcuse included poignant photos and illustrations in his effort to explain the history of Dachau as a concentration camp, a town, and now as a memorial site.
Rachael
Mar 01, 2009 Rachael marked it as to-read
Written by one of my favorite professors who inspired me to go on to graduate school.
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jody Manning
Jody Manning rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Deb
Deb added it
Nov 17, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Marian Alexander
Marian Alexander marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Liz Stiverson
Liz Stiverson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Guruguru
Guruguru marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Joel Trono-Doerksen
Joel Trono-Doerksen marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Karen Kazaryan
Karen Kazaryan marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Nixenitz
Nixenitz rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
M. Elliott-Rupert
M. Elliott-Rupert marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Christiana
Christiana is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2014
Wanderlust_in_dc
Wanderlust_in_dc marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
E.
E. marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Junkyard
Junkyard marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013