Start by marking “Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept It Off” as Want to Read:

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Anne M. Fletcher offers workable techniques for permanent weight loss, based onreal stories of individuals who have succeeded.
Published March 31st 2003 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Thin for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thin for Life

Joy Weese Moll
Anne Fletcher, registered dietitian and author of Thin for Life, noticed that weight loss research was decidedly pessimistic. Study after study of various diets showed that none of them worked particularly well, reporting things like “most people gain back the weight within 3 years of loss.” The depressing news, however, never reveals possible underlying causes like these:

* The people who end up in research studies may be the most intractable cases. People who successfully lost weight on their o
As someone who is working on making lifestyle changes after having gone through many up-and-down weight cycles, I found it helpful to read anecdotes from others who have successfully made long-term changes. This book drives home the point that what works for one person will not always work for another, and that the process of reaching what for you is a healthy weight is largely about getting to know yourself, your likes and dislikes, what physical activities motivate you, what situations trigger ...more
Lisa
I usually don't review books I read for continuing education, but this is a great one! Anne Fletcher highlights people who have maintained a significant weight loss for a long time and from all those people comes up with 10 things many of them have in common to keep their lost weight off. Like another reviewer said, I'm not crazy about the title "Thin" for Life because Fletcher herself says that many people get to a weight that is comfortable for them, but not thin according to society standards ...more
Andrea James
If you're thinking of going on yet another fad diet, I would recommend you read this book first I've given this four stars not because it has any groundbreaking advice - it simply offers (the usual) sensible suggestions like it takes a lifestyle change not a diet to permanently alter one's weight range, look into why you emotionally eat, watch portion sizes and introduce more activity.

However, reading case study after case study where the person loses weight permanent by eating sensibly and bein
Spook Harrison
I think I'd like to own this book. There are so many things we allow ourselves to get derailed by when it comes to weight loss, it is inspiring, reassuring, and comforting to read a book like this.
Cfgk
A wonderful POSITIVE group of helpful hints from folks who've lost weight and KEPT it off. A great book to return to if things get out of hand!
Marley
This is a really positive and balanced look at the struggle to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. It's not really a diet book (although it collects together ideas that successful maintainers found helpful). It's primarily inspiration to recognize that it can be done.

I'm not keen on the title because "thin" is often used in common language to describe "too thin" rather than healthy. The book itself does not promote ultra-thinness and counts among its success stories many people who have maint
Slone
The first chapter or two were a little difficult to get into, but the following ones were easier. This isn't advice we haven't heard before, but maybe not all together or in this way: This is how people who have lost significant weight did it and maintained their losses. The takeaway: There's no one way, that you have to find what works for you. I found this inspiring: A lack of success before doesn't mean it can't be done; it just means you haven't found your path yet.
Peter
Ths would certainly serve as a blueprint for anyone who is dedicated to at least maintaining their weight after losing it. The principles, techniques, and methods can't be disputed. there are no magic bulllets offered because indeed there just are no magic bullets. It's all hard and painful work, but as the author points out, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels".
Kristin
Compelling ideas for transforming one's life to accommodate a more healthy body. The emphasis is on health and not weight, which resonates more with me.
Amy Richard
More of a reference book than a straight through read. Very positive and gives examples of people who have made their own way work.
Amy Richard
Lorie
I read this for continuing education hours. I thought it was pretty boring. Not a lot of new information.
Teena in Toronto
Excellent book! It's not your usual "how to" book. It's filled with people's own experiences, tips, etc.
Happyreader
A very sensible book sharing weight loss and maintence techniques from successful losers.
Christy Mackiewicz
Flat out the best diet/health/weight loss book I have ever read.
Merri
Book was OK. I liked Joining the Thin Club much more.
Darlene Roy
Darlene Roy is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2015
SUSIEQBELL
SUSIEQBELL marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Amber Zade
Amber Zade marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Angell
Angell marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Debbie Smyth
Debbie Smyth marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Emma Tearne
Emma Tearne marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Sande Fitz
Sande Fitz marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Judith
Judith added it
Oct 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • Confessions of a Carb Queen: A Memoir
  • Life Support: Three Nurses on the Front Lines
  • Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan
  • Appetites: On the Search for True Nourishment
  • Scoot Over, Skinny: The Fat Nonfiction Anthology
  • Mastering the Zone: The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss
  • Love to Eat, Hate to Eat
  • Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy
  • The Maker's Diet
  • The Diet Cure
  • The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide to a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
Inside Rehab: The Surprising Truth About Addiction Treatment—and How to Get Help That Works Sober for Good: New Solutions for Drinking Problems -- Advice from Those Who Have Succeeded Eating Thin for Life: Food Secrets & Recipes from People Who Have Lost Weight & Kept It Off Thin for Life Daybook: A Journal of Personal Progress Weight Loss Confidential: How Teens Lose Weight and Keep It Off -- and What They Wish Parents Knew