Start by marking “Stranger Room: An Ike Schwartz Mystery” as Want to Read:
Stranger Room: An Ike Schwartz Mystery

Stranger Room: An Ike Schwartz Mystery (Ike Schwartz Mystery #4)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The elderly Jonathan Lydell III is proud of his family history. He is related to the Virginia Lees (both Light Horse Harry and Robert E. Lee) and to the Custis family (and thus to George Washington). But these connections donat seem to matter to the current generation. In fact, they seem utterly disinterested in family, history, or position. But for Lydell, family history ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Stranger Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranger Room

Abbey
Good points - set in the Shenandoah Valley - having worked in a small town in this area, the attitudes and mores are spot-on. Locked room mystery kept the attention, and, although the murderer was pretty apparent about 2/3rds of the way through the book, the "how" took a while. Bad points - I listened to this on Audio Books - listening to the reading of one of the main characters was like hearing several hours of Jimmy Carter - not a problem in itself, but certainly distracting. The relationship ...more
Melissa
I picked up this book because the idea of a Civil War era "stranger room" was interesting. I was disappointed to find out this was the 4th in a mystery series-I like to start at the first book in a series. I enjoyed the story very much and found the characters quite likable. I doubt I will go back and read the 1st books in the series, but will definitely be on the lookout for future books in this series.

"The elderly Jonathan Lydell III is proud of his family history. He is related to the Virgini
Grey853
I love a book that has a great locked room mystery, well developed characters, humorous banter, and interesting plot. I'm not going to detail the plot because there's really more than one and it would get complicated. Let's just say it held my interest to the end. It wasn't so much that I didn't know who committed the murders, but whether or not they would be able to prove it.

Ike Schwartz continues to impress me with his clever ways.
William
Kind of a fun mystery. Excellent description of small town Virginia and the people interactions of its various citizens from different classes, ethnic backgrounds, etc. Not very deep or complicated, but a quick enjoyable read.
Roseann Moss
Working my way thru the Sheriff Ike Schwartz series. Each book is better then the book before.

Cemeterygal
I wasn't sure about this book (audio version) when I picked it up at the library, but I enjoyed it very much. The reader does a good job with the characters. An enjoyable little mystery. Plus, I learned about what a stranger room is!
Teresa Marx
This was a great locked room mystery with quite the side trip. The characters are believable and in some cases quite detestable. If you like mysteries give this one a shot!
Bev
A surpisingly good historical American mystery. I am much more the British mystery fan...but this one really delivered on the locked room concept. Three and a half stars.
Denny
Sep 22, 2011 Denny rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
Not beyond awful, but the writing was so poor, and the characters so bland, I just couldn't read anymore - and that was after I forced myself to get halfway through.
Denicemarcell
picked it up for the locked room mystery. good locked room mystery. other parts are in a series i am viewing it as a stand alone.
Carla
Carla added it
May 26, 2015
Kelly Sikes
Kelly Sikes marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Fran Lewis
Fran Lewis marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Becky Dawson
Becky Dawson marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Michael Yen
Michael Yen marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Vasudev Murthy
Vasudev Murthy marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
May 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dr. Frederick Ramsay was born in Baltimore, the son of a respected teacher researcher and scientist. He graduated from Washington and Lee University in Virginia and received his doctorate from the University of Illinois. After a stint in the Army, he joined the faculty of the University of Maryland, School of Medicine, where he taught Anatomy, Embryology and Histology; engaged in research and serv ...more
More about Frederick Ramsay...

Ike Schwartz Mystery (8 books)
  • Artscape: An Ike Schwartz Mystery
  • Secrets: An Ike Schwartz Mystery
  • Buffalo Mountain
  • Choker: An Ike Schwartz Mystery
  • The Eye of the Virgin: An Ike Schwartz Mystery
  • Rogue: An Ike Schwartz Mystery
  • Scone Island
Artscape: An Ike Schwartz Mystery Impulse Choker: An Ike Schwartz Mystery Scone Island The Eighth Veil