Start by marking “The Gray Wolf and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Gray Wolf and Other Stories

The Gray Wolf and Other Stories

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Presents a tale of a student, an old woman and her beautiful, but cursed daughter in the Shetland Islands. This is a selection of short stories from the nineteenth-century innovator of modern fantasy.

The gray wolf.--
The cruel painter.--
The broken swords.--
The wow o'Rivven.--
Uncle Cornelius, his story.--
The butcher's bills.--
Birth, dreaming, death
Published October 24th 1980 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published 1871)

David Gregg
"The Gray Wolf" is such a wonderful short story! It sparks my imagination and leaves me wanting more--badly. It leaves me with questions, and a longing for a different ending. But the bitter loneliness, the weight of the curse, and the mystery all make for a fascinatingly bittersweet read from George MacDonald.

The audiobook version of "The Gray Wolf" can be downloaded from LibriVox for free (
Jim Collins
With the exceptions of The Gray Wolf, The Cruel Painter, and Uncle Cornelius, this collection is not quite fantasy. The stories are tedious yet beautifully-written. This collection comprises preachy and descriptive stories of marriage, life and death, ghosts and phantoms, and a shapeshifter. The narration is introspective and gabby throughout, though of course what did I expect from Victorian fiction?

I'm sure I'll be reading more George McD in the months to come. I enjoyed the haunted and twilit
Karen L.
Loved the cruel Painter. The stories are very Gothic, filled with love, suffering perseverance and sacrifice.
Hannah Jean
All in all, The Gray Wolf and Other Fantasy Stories is a fabulous collection of short stories. George MacDonald has all the qualities of a great story-teller; he is creative, a teacher, and an enchanter. My favorite stories were The Cruel Painter and The Wow O’Rivven. MacDonald’s stories feel like fairytales. They can be understood and enjoyed by both adults and children alike. The characters are well rounded and believable and the worlds he builds are rich in detail without becoming tedious. An ...more
Fairy tale stories. They are a quick read but well written and creative. The Gray Wolf is actually the shortest of the stories but still an original and tense tale.
Don Gubler
Nice fantasy story. Interesting coming from a more academic person steeped in medieval traditions and training.
I found this book in a used bookstore, years ago. There are seven short stories in this book, and I love two of them: The Gray Wolf, and The Cruel Painter. There is a strange clarity in these stories, an usual way of describing events... similar to looking at photographs. After I read these stories, I found myself daydreaming about the images. There is a hint of romance, a hint of fear, and something much deeper in his stories because he was introspective.
Kate  K. F.
The stories in this collection show the variety of George MacDonald's writing and the elegance of Victorian fantasy. These stories cover a great range from a Gothic tale on a moor to a haunting tale of a marriage spiraling out of control. For any reader of current fantasy, MacDonald's stories create the history of fantasy and are worth reading and digger deeper into.
Eerie, symbolic: these stories are a challenge to understand, but the rewards once they are figured out are more than satisfying, in my opinion. MacDonald does not fail as CS Lewis's role-model!
Jessie Harvey
George McDonald is always recommendable.
Bill Chandler
Bill Chandler marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Pat marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Sarah Ehinger
Sarah Ehinger marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Marc marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Cyndi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Aura added it
Jun 10, 2015
WCKELLOGG marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Suzi Eaton
Suzi Eaton marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
  • The Song
  • All Hallows' Eve
  • The Iron Sceptre (Archives of Anthropos #4)
  • The Well At The World's End: Volume I
  • The Horizontal Epistles Of Andromeda Veal
  • The Chestnut King (100 Cupboards, #3)
  • The Whimsical Christian: 18 Essays
  • Poetic Diction: A Study in Meaning
  • Rescued
  • The Book of Sorrows (Chauntecleer the Rooster, #2)
  • Narrative Poems
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • Looking for the King (Inklings, #1)
  • Tree and Leaf: Includes Mythopoeia and The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth
  • The Enchanted Island of Yew
  • Orphan of the Helix
George MacDonald was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister.

Known particularly for his poignant fairy tales and fantasy novels, George MacDonald inspired many authors, such as W. H. Auden, J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Madeleine L'Engle. It was C.S. Lewis that wrote that he regarded MacDonald as his "master": "Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train-station bookstall, I be
More about George MacDonald...