Start by marking “The Musician's Quest” as Want to Read:
The Musician's Quest

The Musician's Quest

Robert Falconer, who appears briefly in The Tutor's First Love, is the main character in this compelling story.
Published October 1st 1984 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1868)

To ask other readers questions about The Musician's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Musician's Quest

Mark
Mar 15, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, owned-books
George MacDonald stretches your view of God and his universe, and then renders you incapable of faulting him for it by his persistence on a man's responsibility, and by his characters' obstinate pursuit of both loving God and serving men.

I enjoyed There and Back (Baron's Apprenticeship) but this one displays a different level and kind of depth; all of his books seem to probe the strata of how we come to know God, and along with various conclusions, the bedrock is always obedience. "If you will o
Vivien
Dec 23, 2007 Vivien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lost souls
I'm still reading it, but so far it's already been on of those books that has me weeping and thanking a god I don't believe in for it's very existence. I can't describe how beautiful this book is, just a simple story about a sensitive boy in semi-rural Scotland who learns to play the violin and goes to college in Aberdeen. It's a story of hope and faith and compassion, and while the many sequences of Scottish dialect take some getting used to, it's worth it for a deeper insight into the man who ...more
Katy
Mar 07, 2008 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of these days people are going to figure out that George MacDonald is still being sold on eBay and in used bookstores for .90/each because they have horrible, Christian romance novel cover art. But what wonderful, valiant stories of "ordinary" people working out their faith and coming to know the wild, strong, deeply loving character of their Father. Robert Falconer is MacDonald's favorite character- he named his son after him. To my thought, maybe not the most thoroughly developed of his st ...more
Bethany
Jan 11, 2016 Bethany rated it really liked it
Don't read this as your first George MacDonald! Read it if you really like MacDonald and have read his other books already.
I didn't find the main storyline as interesting as usual. I mostly enjoyed the book for its beautiful sermonizings peppered throughout, and the exploration of God's love for each person and other Christian themes throughout the story.
Katiekikel
Nov 17, 2009 Katiekikel rated it it was ok
This book was ok but Michael Phillips took George MacDonald's books and edited out a lot of the content to make it more "accessible" for today's reader...sort of like taking the apples out of a pie to make it easier to eat, it my opinion.
Robert Falconer is the real, unchanged edition. It's one of my favorite books.
Valorie
Aug 20, 2011 Valorie rated it it was amazing
This was the first George MacDonald book that I read that wasnt a farie story, and the first with so much spiritual discussion. I thought it was amazing how he was able to filter through all the different religous 'stuff' of his day and hit smack dab on so much truth. I thought it was truly inspiring!
Nicki Summy
Jan 19, 2008 Nicki Summy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the best book I've ever read. Loaded with wisdom, provoking questions and an awesome story line. It's an old book with some old language - but totally worth wading through to get at the gold within. :)
Shannon Ture
Aug 08, 2012 Shannon Ture rated it it was amazing
A fictional biography of George MacDonald. Deals with tough faith issues and life circumstances. Loved it.
Margie Dickinson
Jul 19, 2014 Margie Dickinson rated it really liked it
Just as lovely a story as the first time I read it many years ago. It is inspiring to read fiction about noble selfless characters once in a while.
Courtney Joshua
Feb 28, 2013 Courtney Joshua rated it it was ok
Like David Copperfield with all the good parts taken out. I like George MacDonald generally, but the proportion of sermon to story in this book was excessive.
Gracie
Sep 19, 2012 Gracie rated it liked it
when I was expecting him to rebel against his grandmother, he unwaveringly obeyed and it all came out for the better because of his obedience. made me appreciate obedience to God all the more.
Leah
Jan 14, 2016 Leah rated it it was amazing
This and all other G.Mac books are great stories of the gospel lived out in peoples' lives. My favorite author.
David Jack
Feb 23, 2017 David Jack rated it it was amazing
For anyone who read and enjoyed this edition, I have collaborated with the editor Michael Phillips to produce an illustrated paperback of the original, 'Robert Falconer'. You'll need to enjoy long novels because 'The Musician's Quest' is very abridged, but if you have a taste for more, it's well worth trying! It's the first MacDonald novel I ever read, over 10 years ago, and one of my favourites still. The new edition, which came out in November 2016, gives you the best of both worlds, with not ...more
Ceci
Dec 31, 2016 Ceci rated it it was amazing
George MacDonald writes with vivid details, creates suspense, and accomplishes interest in historical characters and their interesting characteristics.
This novel is very perfectly set in the time period it is written and is no less a historically accurate description of religion, culture, and romance, because it is old.
Sally
Feb 13, 2014 Sally rated it it was ok
I know the title sounds like some cheesy romance novel. The cover looks like one, too, doesn't it?! This is a modern edition of George MacDonald's novel "Robert Falconer". Robert, a young boy whose parents have died, is being raised by his stern grandmother. She gives religion a bad name, due to her grim Calvinism that consigns people to hell and her joyless determination to root out all temptations to sin in Robert's life. Despite this bleak environment, Robert manages to grow up, become a nobl ...more
Paulkcc
May 24, 2011 Paulkcc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The least favorite of any McDonald book that I have read and I've read at least 6. It seemed to me that the characters and plot were simply devices to promote McDonald's theology and sociology. I realize these things are scattered throughout all of his books, but in this one they become the main point, especially as the book goes on. By the end I found Falconer to be somewhat unsympathetic and was just glad to get through it.
Krisette Spangler
Jun 01, 2010 Krisette Spangler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Beautiful story about the life of Robert Falconer. The story opens as Robert is a young boy living with his grandmother and tells of Robert's struggles to find God. Some of the Christian values that are taught during the writing of this book were very poignant.

I will warn you that the Scottish dialect was extremely challenging at times. The story also gets bogged down in a few places as MacDonald is trying to teach us how to be good Christians. Overall, it was a very rewarding read.
Beanmf
Aug 17, 2014 Beanmf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most unusual fictional story. Written in part using Scots dialect from the mid-1800s, it captures a vision not only of growing up in that time in Scotland, but also George MacDonald's well-considered view of a Christian Life, quite apart from church and teachings. I have an old hardback copy, but opted to read this on my Nook which was a little challenging. Haunting.
Joanna
Mar 02, 2010 Joanna rated it liked it
Will the average reader of historical fiction like this? Probably not. But there are a lot of truths about God and how He works in this book that are worth plodding through the slow pace of the novel.
Nicole Morgan
Jul 09, 2016 Nicole Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book increased in readability towards the end (as characters went to university, 'learned English' and moved to London). ;) Even while parts felt slower paced, it all was excellent and so encouraging - again, especially towards the end.
Eileen
Apr 18, 2012 Eileen rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction
(ed. Michael Phillips; original title Robert Falconer) A Scotish boy growing up with his stern grandmother endures much sorrow yet continues to respect and care about others. A lovely story. Gives some idea what it was like to live in 19th century Scotland.
Elisha Andres
Mar 18, 2015 Elisha Andres rated it it was amazing
At first it took me a while to get into, but after I read for a bit, I loved every bit of it. Such an awesome book, a great author!!
Rachelle
Rachelle rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Monica K
Monica K rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
kelli
kelli rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2010
Ej Minnich
Ej Minnich rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2010
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2012
  • Wayward Winds (Secrets of Heathersleigh Hall, #2)
  • The Slavery of Death
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
George MacDonald was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister.

Known particularly for his poignant fairy tales and fantasy novels, George MacDonald inspired many authors, such as G.K. Chesterton, W. H. Auden, J.R.R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Madeleine L'Engle. Lewis that wrote that he regarded MacDonald as his "master": "Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train-station bookstall, I
More about George MacDonald...

“For others, as for ourselves, we must trust him. If we could thoroughly understand anything, that would be enough to prove it undivine; and that which is but one step beyond our understanding must be in some of its relations as mysterious as if it were a hundred.” 7 likes
“I don't believe that he thinks about His glory except for the sake

of truth and men's hearts dying for the lack of it.”
6 likes