Start by marking “The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)

The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan #4)

The Aztec Heresy (Signet Novel)
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published July 1st 2008 by A Signet Book

To ask other readers questions about The Aztec Heresy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aztec Heresy

Tim Bondy
Nov 29, 2016 Tim Bondy rated it liked it
Enjoyable book but could have been a lot better. This was #4 in a series of books about an explorer like Indiana Jones but never quite reached that excitement or interest level. Doubt I will backtrack and read the first three books in the series.

The author has written another series of books that I may read in the future.
Mardi Gorham
Jan 15, 2017 Mardi Gorham rated it it was ok
This book had quite a few characters and we got back story on just about all of them. Unfortunately that is what most of the book is about. Just a lot of information about the characters but not much of a story to go with it.
Kasia
Oct 07, 2011 Kasia rated it really liked it
The premise of this book is rather simple with the standard treasure hunt procedures; good guys, bad guys, some gray but questionable characters and a mysterious religious order all want a piece of adventure while some just want to make some money on it all running loose in the jungle at some point in the story line. When a sunken ship from four hundred years ago, rumored to have carried the location of secret Mayan treasure hidden by Hernan Cortez himself form the Spanish rulers is suddenly a h ...more
Patrick Gannon
Sep 19, 2016 Patrick Gannon rated it liked it
I want to like this series but it takes its many fanciful ideas and clever details and washes them out with bizarre gaps and a lack of editing. Oh well. Next.
Christopher Borum
May 21, 2014 Christopher Borum rated it it was ok
This book was a mess. I kept thinking there'd be some adventure regarding the Cortez Codex, which is set up as this mythical document that will lead to untold riches if anyone can find it. (view spoiler) They end up in the Yucatan, almost always on the periphery of drug lords and half century old radioactive waste, mutated flora and fauna, etc. I honestly couldn ...more
Robert
Mar 31, 2009 Robert rated it it was ok
Shelves: x2008-9-season
Kate Irwin-smiler
Jun 05, 2014 Kate Irwin-smiler rated it did not like it
Ok, so I picked this one up from the title & cover while waiting for a prescription to be filled. And was totally disappointed. Either the author doesn't know or doesn't care about the difference between Aztec and Maya, and managed to conflate the two through most of the book. Also, pretty much no Aztec (nor enough Maya, if you're accepting the conflation). And no, Spaniards were not cavemen in 521 AD. Sorry. That said, it wants to be Ludlum or someone, not enough mystery (or maybe not enoug ...more
Mark Muckerman
Sep 23, 2011 Mark Muckerman rated it it was ok
DISAPPOINTED AGAIN! Each of his books disappoints more than the last: A decent premise based on plausible history, slaughtered by poor writing, undeveloped characters and HUGE holes in plot development that leave readers scratching their heads wondering "what just happened???". I've now decided that Christopher's books are best bought in the bargain bin, and left in hotels or on airplanes as throwaway gifts for the next traveller. Christopher consistently starts with a good historical nugget and ...more
Daniel
Aug 27, 2012 Daniel rated it it was ok
Not a terribly good book but fun. And a lot of the background sounded like it came case files from organizations I used to work for, and the people sounded like people I have read about or heard of in reports over the years, which was scary and funny at the same time. It has realism in the situations. But, the characters don't seem to be that well developed or evolved during this book. Not good if it is your first exposure to his work. But I liked it. Just wish I had not purchased it new. I fini ...more
Pamela Mclaren
Mar 31, 2014 Pamela Mclaren rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
An interesting read similar to Da Vinci Code but lighter, sort of like Clive Cussler. Our two intrepid heroes, Finn Ryan and Lord Billy Pilgrim, find evidence of a lost Aztec Codex and follow the clues to the Codex and the secrets it reveals. Meanwhile they are chased by a secret group connected to the Vatican, a pharmaceutical owner and his son hunting for a drug that makes anything addictive, Cubans, etc. Finn and Billy are always talking lightly and apparently don't take anything too seriousl ...more
Robert
Jul 01, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
Seems like a whole bunch of folks all get to looking for this ancient codex all at the same. And some of these folks are some very bad people. So now we set off around the globe visiting various locales that the author will fill us in on as far as the history pertains to the story. While traipsing through the jungle however one must be careful of the irradiated ants, they are hungry and pretty damn mean what with their super size and viscous venom. So this is a pretty decent novel fitting into t ...more
Gevera Bert
Oct 08, 2011 Gevera Bert rated it it was ok
If you are going to write a book called "The Aztec Heresy" at least do the small amount of research needed to tell the difference between the Aztec and Mayan cultures. I'm not talking about the cover (showing a Mayan pyramid) which is not in the author's control, I'm talking about him consistently making mistakes in the text--even the main character, an archeologist who supposedly grew up in Yucatan, doesn't know the difference. Sad.
Kate
Aug 19, 2008 Kate rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
This has the potential to be a good story, but unfortunately is falling FAR short. Simplistic plot, no character development, and WAY too many references to current movies etc.

I decided I would sacrifice for the good of the Goodreads community, and finish this book. Luckily, I made it through without dying of boredom. The end leaves a lot to be desired, and it doesn't even end with the main characters.

Please do not waste your time on this book!
Mia
Apr 01, 2010 Mia rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Finally finished this one. OF the three books involving Finn Ryan, this is the best one. But that does not say much. The characters are not that well developed and the story line is pretty much the same as all of his books. Not very imaginative. At least the books involved the KNights templar are a bit better.
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
Slow, slapped together with little of interest to the reader and an ending... well, it dropped like a rollercoaster. Christopher tried to sew it all together in 2 pages.

Was he looking to his new Templar series (of which I have heard a great deal of wonderful things)? Let's hope that series keeps a pulse.
Dark Chocolate
Dec 24, 2015 Dark Chocolate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like reading about Finn's adventures but i find these long descriptions of somebody's watch or something else a bit annoying. May be it's just me but i wish there was less of it. However, i'll enjoy reading the next book when i have the time.
Heather
Feb 17, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
I think I'm done reading Paul Christopher. His characterization did not improve in this book. It's a ways and means story. Story line and characterization all take a back seat while the details of murder implements and effects are shown in sharp relief.
Maryann
Simple storyline with less than well developed characters. That being said, it moves along at a good pace and it's full of great adventure. Basically it's a good beach or airport read. If you're not looking to be challenged you won't be disappointed. Just a fun little book.
Connor
Aug 04, 2008 Connor rated it it was ok
The book seems to suffer from an identity crisis. It tries to fit in so many different plotlines into one story that it doesn't know what to do with itself. As such, the book rushes the reader through the story and leaves one feeling dissatisfied. Not a bad read, though.
Rita McDowell
Mar 12, 2014 Rita McDowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Fantastic!

Once again the bar has been raised and surpassed! From beginning to the end this read just grabs and keeps your attention in a constant page turning, breath holding state! Truly amazing!
Brian
Feb 16, 2014 Brian rated it liked it
The book was good but could have had some more to go along with the story it seems the author just wanted to finish the book in the end and the last of the chapters are cleared up real quick and don't take the time to fully develop.
Stephen
Apr 27, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
Paul Christopher is an interesting author. He pulls three story lines together in this book quite well. I didn't realize this was part 4 of a series when I bought it, so now I have to go back and play a little catch up.
Aug 25, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
2.5 stars. A good plot, but this book had way to many skips and 'plot holes' for me. The author put together a facinating conspiracy web, but didn't develop it. Perhaps he dislikes writing action scenes?
Paula Howard
Apr 10, 2016 Paula Howard rated it liked it
The premise of the book is finding the City of Gold. Finn and Billy get involved.

It should have been a good story. Unfortunately, it was bogged down by long, boring pages and pages of background that had little to do with the story. Finn and Billy's quest was lost in the description.
Craig Brown
Oct 06, 2010 Craig Brown rated it did not like it
Ok, I didn't like The Lucifer Gospel, so why did I try again. This book almost possessed me to write a review on Amazon, it is the worse book on this list. There are plot lines wrapped up in the last chapter as if the author ran out of pages, so he just ended it.
Katrina Koo
Jan 29, 2016 Katrina Koo rated it liked it
Ok, not amazing- I find that I wish the protagonist was a bit more stronger and less damsel in distress
Nicole
Jan 05, 2010 Nicole rated it did not like it
The storyline started well but the editing was so poorly done, I couldn't get past the 3rd chapter -
Bill Donhiser
Aug 26, 2012 Bill Donhiser rated it liked it
Fun time passer, have read all of the Finn Ryan series. Quite enjoyable would rather read other adventure writers.
Oct 01, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok
There were a lot of characters introduced that I didn't know if I would need to remember later in the book....but even though it ended pretty suddenly, most of the loose ends were wrapped up.
Michel
Aug 21, 2008 Michel rated it did not like it
Shelves: action-susp
2-dimentional characters with no affect whatsoever; video-game plot with lots of coincidences and deus-ex-machina, but no permission-to-believe; no humor.
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Sinai Secret (Lang Reilly #3)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • Pyramid
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4)
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The Lucifer Code (Thomas Lourds, #2)
  • The Secret Crown (Payne & Jones, #6)
  • The Genesis Secret
Paul Christopher is a pseudonym used by the author Christopher Hyde.

More about Paul Christopher...

Finn Ryan (4 books)
  • Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1)
  • The Lucifer Gospel (Finn Ryan, #2)
  • Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan, #3)