Start by marking “The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)

The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan #4)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  439 ratings  ·  36 reviews
An ancient secret. A lost city. A treasure that could change the world.

In search of a Spanish galleon in the Caribbean, archaeologist Finn Ryan and her partner Lord Billy Pilgrim find evidence of a lost Aztec Codex. The invaluable book created by 15th- century explorer and accused heretic Hernan Cortez is said to reveal the secret location of the lost City of Gold. But the
Published July 1st 2008 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Aztec Heresy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aztec Heresy

Dark Mountain by Robert   MichaelPrison Nation by Jenni MerrittLost in Infinity by Travis BeseckerThe Innocent Man by John GrishamThe Black Witch by Micheal Rivers
Books not to Miss
80th out of 127 books — 10 voters
Aztec by Gary JenningsThe Highlander by Zoe SaadiaThe Fall of the Empire by Zoe SaadiaCurrents of War by Zoe SaadiaThe Emperor's Second Wife by Zoe Saadia
Aztec, Maya & Inca - Fiction
64th out of 72 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate Irwin-smiler
Ok, so I picked this one up from the title & cover while waiting for a prescription to be filled. And was totally disappointed. Either the author doesn't know or doesn't care about the difference between Aztec and Maya, and managed to conflate the two through most of the book. Also, pretty much no Aztec (nor enough Maya, if you're accepting the conflation). And no, Spaniards were not cavemen in 521 AD. Sorry. That said, it wants to be Ludlum or someone, not enough mystery (or maybe not enoug ...more
Christopher Borum
This book was a mess. I kept thinking there'd be some adventure regarding the Cortez Codex, which is set up as this mythical document that will lead to untold riches if anyone can find it. (view spoiler) They end up in the Yucatan, almost always on the periphery of drug lords and half century old radioactive waste, mutated flora and fauna, etc. I honestly couldn ...more
Robert
Seems like a whole bunch of folks all get to looking for this ancient codex all at the same. And some of these folks are some very bad people. So now we set off around the globe visiting various locales that the author will fill us in on as far as the history pertains to the story. While traipsing through the jungle however one must be careful of the irradiated ants, they are hungry and pretty damn mean what with their super size and viscous venom. So this is a pretty decent novel fitting into t ...more
Robert
Kasia S.
The premise of this book is rather simple with the standard treasure hunt procedures; good guys, bad guys, some gray but questionable characters and a mysterious religious order all want a piece of adventure while some just want to make some money on it all running loose in the jungle at some point in the story line. When a sunken ship from four hundred years ago, rumored to have carried the location of secret Mayan treasure hidden by Hernan Cortez himself form the Spanish rulers is suddenly a h ...more
Mark Muckerman
DISAPPOINTED AGAIN! Each of his books disappoints more than the last: A decent premise based on plausible history, slaughtered by poor writing, undeveloped characters and HUGE holes in plot development that leave readers scratching their heads wondering "what just happened???". I've now decided that Christopher's books are best bought in the bargain bin, and left in hotels or on airplanes as throwaway gifts for the next traveller. Christopher consistently starts with a good historical nugget and ...more
Brian
The book was good but could have had some more to go along with the story it seems the author just wanted to finish the book in the end and the last of the chapters are cleared up real quick and don't take the time to fully develop.
Rita McDowell
Absolutely Fantastic!

Once again the bar has been raised and surpassed! From beginning to the end this read just grabs and keeps your attention in a constant page turning, breath holding state! Truly amazing!
Pamela Mclaren
An interesting read similar to Da Vinci Code but lighter, sort of like Clive Cussler. Our two intrepid heroes, Finn Ryan and Lord Billy Pilgrim, find evidence of a lost Aztec Codex and follow the clues to the Codex and the secrets it reveals. Meanwhile they are chased by a secret group connected to the Vatican, a pharmaceutical owner and his son hunting for a drug that makes anything addictive, Cubans, etc. Finn and Billy are always talking lightly and apparently don't take anything too seriousl ...more
Scott Conn
The plot line and the characters just barely kept my interest. I found to many inaccuracies to make the story believable, and the characters dull.
Daniel
Not a terribly good book but fun. And a lot of the background sounded like it came case files from organizations I used to work for, and the people sounded like people I have read about or heard of in reports over the years, which was scary and funny at the same time. It has realism in the situations. But, the characters don't seem to be that well developed or evolved during this book. Not good if it is your first exposure to his work. But I liked it. Just wish I had not purchased it new. I fini ...more
M
Not as good as some of his other books.
Kate
Aug 24, 2008 Kate rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
This has the potential to be a good story, but unfortunately is falling FAR short. Simplistic plot, no character development, and WAY too many references to current movies etc.

I decided I would sacrifice for the good of the Goodreads community, and finish this book. Luckily, I made it through without dying of boredom. The end leaves a lot to be desired, and it doesn't even end with the main characters.

Please do not waste your time on this book!
Stephen
Paul Christopher is an interesting author. He pulls three story lines together in this book quite well. I didn't realize this was part 4 of a series when I bought it, so now I have to go back and play a little catch up.
Gevera Bert
If you are going to write a book called "The Aztec Heresy" at least do the small amount of research needed to tell the difference between the Aztec and Mayan cultures. I'm not talking about the cover (showing a Mayan pyramid) which is not in the author's control, I'm talking about him consistently making mistakes in the text--even the main character, an archeologist who supposedly grew up in Yucatan, doesn't know the difference. Sad.
Ike
One word = ordered
Matt
Slow, slapped together with little of interest to the reader and an ending... well, it dropped like a rollercoaster. Christopher tried to sew it all together in 2 pages.

Was he looking to his new Templar series (of which I have heard a great deal of wonderful things)? Let's hope that series keeps a pulse.
Mia
Apr 06, 2010 Mia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Finally finished this one. OF the three books involving Finn Ryan, this is the best one. But that does not say much. The characters are not that well developed and the story line is pretty much the same as all of his books. Not very imaginative. At least the books involved the KNights templar are a bit better.
Connor
The book seems to suffer from an identity crisis. It tries to fit in so many different plotlines into one story that it doesn't know what to do with itself. As such, the book rushes the reader through the story and leaves one feeling dissatisfied. Not a bad read, though.
Maryann
Simple storyline with less than well developed characters. That being said, it moves along at a good pace and it's full of great adventure. Basically it's a good beach or airport read. If you're not looking to be challenged you won't be disappointed. Just a fun little book.
Craig Brown
Ok, I didn't like The Lucifer Gospel, so why did I try again. This book almost possessed me to write a review on Amazon, it is the worse book on this list. There are plot lines wrapped up in the last chapter as if the author ran out of pages, so he just ended it.
Heather
I think I'm done reading Paul Christopher. His characterization did not improve in this book. It's a ways and means story. Story line and characterization all take a back seat while the details of murder implements and effects are shown in sharp relief.
Aug 29, 2013 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
2.5 stars. A good plot, but this book had way to many skips and 'plot holes' for me. The author put together a facinating conspiracy web, but didn't develop it. Perhaps he dislikes writing action scenes?
There were a lot of characters introduced that I didn't know if I would need to remember later in the book....but even though it ended pretty suddenly, most of the loose ends were wrapped up.
Nicole
This book tries to be like The DaVinci Code of the Yucatan but pales in comparison. There are way too many holes in the plot for this to be enjoyable. It's a fast read but I wouldn't recommend it.
Tommy
I enjoyed this book as much as his previous books. It also had two of the main characters from his previous books and makes reverences to things that happened in the prevoius books.
Tracy Jones
Will admit I was very disappointed with this book. Totally lost track on numerous occasions with what was happening. Then bang! It ended (very poorly). Wouldn't recommend it.
Michel
2-dimentional characters with no affect whatsoever; video-game plot with lots of coincidences and deus-ex-machina, but no permission-to-believe; no humor.
Jenn
Aug 17, 2010 Jenn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Had trouble with getting into the whole story line. Characters were fine, the story was ok but I kept getting a little lost and sidetracked.
Bill Donhiser
Fun time passer, have read all of the Finn Ryan series. Quite enjoyable would rather read other adventure writers.
  • The Sinai Secret
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Secret Crown (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #6)
  • The Lucifer Code (Thomas Lourds, #2)
  • The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Mask of Atreus
  • Pyramid
  • The Hidden Oasis
Paul Christopher is a pseudonym used by the author Christopher Hyde.

More about Paul Christopher...
The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1) The Templar Cross (Templar, #2) Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1) The Templar Throne (Templar, #3) The Lucifer Gospel (Finn Ryan, #2)