Start by marking “Chopstick (Forever Friends #1)” as Want to Read:
Chopstick (Forever Friends #1)

Chopstick (Forever Friends #1)

Two girls each have friends, family, and crushes pushing for them to win. But they can't both win - someone must lose and disappoint those who love them.

Paige Winsome has always been in the shadow of her athletic brother and academic sister and, as a result, is too often overlooked by her family.

Kate Kennedy, a pastor's daughter and only child, received plenty of praise
Published October 1st 2005 by Quaystrokes (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Chopstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chopstick

Jill Williamson
Nov 05, 2008 Jill Williamson rated it it was amazing
Chopstick is the second book in Sandra Byrd’s Friends for a Season Series. From the outside, it might seem like thirteen-year-old Paige has it all: a wealthy family, outgoing siblings, a beautiful home, and a great wardrobe. But Paige isn’t happy. She feels invisible. If only her family and friends could see how talented she was. When she sees the ad for the Worship Works contest, she knows she’s found the perfect way to let her gifts shine before others. Plus, the $400 prize is just what she ne ...more
Janette Fuller
Dec 01, 2011 Janette Fuller rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, children
One girl sells the other a guitar and they seal their new friendship with a pair of chopsticks from a Chinese restaurant. The girls love music but their lives are very different.
Paige Winsome has always been in the shadow of her athletic brother and her academic sister. She feels like she has to fight for attention in her affluent family and that her musical talents are overlooked.
Kate Kennedy is an only child. Her father is a pastor but has to work a second job to make ends meet. Kate uses he
May 25, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am impressed by Sandra Byrd so far. She has created a preteen novel that feels authentic, answering many of the questions of friendship: how is it born, how does it grow, and how can it survive selfishness? Byrd does a good job bringing in a Christian point of view as a natural part of the character's lives. That's most impressive, since Christian fiction at this age level is often forced and contrived.

The only drawback I experienced was getting confused between who was talking. The POV shifts
May 30, 2015 Lynn rated it liked it
First of all, this book has some WONDERFUL lessons about humility, trust in God, selflessness, and what constitutes a really good gift!

Second, this book is Christian fiction, and I don't normally read Christian fiction. I AM a Christian, but I usually find this type of fiction annoying. The characters are usually too perfect or "perfectly flawed." I don't know if those books just don't seem realistic to me or if they make me feel bad about myself because I'm not perfect.

Lastly, this is definitel
Dec 09, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
This is probably my favorite book in the Friends for a Seaon series! I liked reading about two girls who became fast friends and were dedicated to sharing their honest feelings and no matter what, still being friends. I have a friend like that, and I am so glad. I think if more friendships had this attitude we'd be in a much better place.

Also, the book shows that we should not try to tell God what to do, and we should also not judge other people. It does not turn out well. I also like that the b
Jan 02, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chopsticks was such a great read! I loved the friendship part of the story and how they had to choose between wanting to win themselves and also rooting for their friend, since she also had good reasons for wanting to win the prize.

While the book is geared towards young readers, adults can also enjoy the story and I recommend's a great book, especially for tweens/teens.

*I received a complimentary eBook copy of this book for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions expresse
Oct 20, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
I recently completed reading chopsticks and it was a very good book!It addressed many challenges that many girls face in their tween years and taught some very very good lessons for young girls!I enjoyed this book and was so happy to own it finally I will be reading this book over many times I can tell!It also taught lessons and the girls in the book went through challenges that all tween girls face as well as me and it addresses things very modestly and I could understand things very well!I wou ...more
Mar 18, 2010 Lydia rated it liked it
ok: i am on a search for a good God book that isnt cheesy. im christian, i like the stories, its just the whole way they lay out these people relationships with god i just dont get its all gung-ho jesus! i like that, yknow, im a jesus freak, but still, i want the non cheesy stuff. pretty good other than that aspect of it.
Jul 08, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, ya
Great book for junior high girls about trying to be who God wants you to be rather than trying to be a people pleaser or just fit in. A book I want my little girl to read when she is old enough. A good remind ever for adults!
Ali Weide
Ali Weide rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Charis N.
Charis N. rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Jr Mccallum
Jr Mccallum rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Kathy Foss
Kathy Foss rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2013
kay stoops
kay stoops rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Brianna rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Tia Harmon
Tia Harmon rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Sunny rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2014
Anna Fields
Anna Fields rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Jaclyn rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2009
Alisha L.
Alisha L. rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Kat Coburn
Kat Coburn rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2012
Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2009
Shannan Harper
Shannan Harper rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Gina rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Katheren Hudgins
Katheren Hudgins rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Robin Spackman
Robin Spackman rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Erica Handley
Erica Handley rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2009
Katelyn♬✞ rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Erin Scott
Erin Scott rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Lucy Doesn't Wear Pink (Lucy #1)
  • A Bundle of Trouble: A Rebecca Mystery
  • The Winter of Candy Canes (Sweet Seasons, #3)
  • The Crystal Ball: A Rebecca Mystery
  • With the Might of Angels: The Diary of Dawnie Rae Johnson, Hadley, Virginia, 1954
  • Pink♥♥Innocent, Volume 1
  • Trapped: Caught in a Lie (Secrets, #4)
  • Girl Next Door
  • The Sweet Life (Girlfriend Fiction, #7)
  • The Hidden Gold: A Marie-Grace Mystery
  • Hunter Brown and the Consuming Fire (Codebearers, #2)
  • Redbud Corner
  • A City Tossed and Broken: The Diary of Minnie Bonner, San Francisco, California, 1906 (Dear America)
  • Awesomely Ally's World
  • The Miracle Girls (Miracle Girls, #1)
  • The Blue Hills (Torminster, #3)
  • Indigo Girls (Girlfriend Fiction, #2)
  • Screen Play
After earning her first rejection at the age of thirteen, bestselling author Sandra Byrd has now published more than forty books. Her adult fiction debut, Let Them Eat Cake, was a Christy Award finalist, as was her first historical novel, To Die For: A Novel of Anne Boleyn. To Die For was also named by Library Journal as a Best Books Pick for 2011 and The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr, wa ...more
More about Sandra Byrd...

Forever Friends (3 books)
  • Red Velvet (Forever Friends, #2)
  • Daisy Chains (Forever Friends #3)